Taysom Hill as a Passer...Two Things I'm worried about (1 Viewer)

BCK30

ALL-MADDEN TEAM
Reaction score
Whether or not I thought it should be Taysom or Jameis starting tomorrow's game, the main thing I care about is the Saints winning. Now that we do know it's Taysom Hill who will be the QB tomorrow I'm going to be watching two things unfold that I think will go a long way especially since Taysom has been with the team 3 solid years.

First, what type of timing will he have with the wide receivers, namely Michael Thomas. Will the accuracy be there so that he can be an effective dual threat QB? I'm assuming Sean Payton will call the same type of plays he would if Brees were there so it's up to Taysom to keep the offense on schedule and have long effective drives to keep Atlanta's offense off the field.

Second, how will Taysom Hill react when Atlanta decides to blitz. If I'm the Failcons, any time I can force a 3rd and long obvious passing situation I'm bringing the heat because the few times I've seen Taysom trying to pass the ball it seems like he needs extra time to decide where he wants to go with the ball. This concerns me because this is where bad turnovers could occur that decides the game.

I certainly will be rooting for Taysom Hill to play great and alleviate my concerns but if he doesn't, those fans who act like they can't wait for Drew Brees to retire will realize just how tough it is to play the QB position at a high level of success like he has.

I don’t think they will use the system that they run with Brees because Taysom isn’t Drew. Asking Taysom to run Drew’s system would be like asking a kindergartner to perform long division. In time sure, but not now.

If put in a 3rd and long position (which will probably happen a few times), I’m interested to see what Taysom does, trust his receivers, or trust his feet.

If I'm the Failcons, any time I can force a 3rd and long obvious passing situation I'm bringing the heat
If put in a 3rd and long position (which will probably happen a few times), I’m interested to see what Taysom does

I think I already know the play for 3rd and long... I think it will be the same as we've run with Drew the last few years. A draw, a quick short pass, or screen. If Sean has Taysom throwing at or beyond the 1st down marker on 3rd and long, I'll be very surprised.

Ball delivery is totally different.
Taysom has major zip on his throws
compared to Brees. Wide outs must adjust
to the catch speed they'll need. Ball security will be huge. Can't have high heat
throws bouncing off hands.
I'm ready for Hill's chance. Kid deserves it

Ball delivery is totally different.
Taysom has major zip on his throws
compared to Brees. Wide outs must adjust
to the catch speed they'll need. Ball security will be huge. Can't have high heat
throws bouncing off hands.
I'm ready for Hill's chance. Kid deserves it

This is true, if you go and watch the youtube video of Every Taysom Hill throw there were way too many random drops by receivers as if they were surprised or something

Even for all of us big Taysom fans, we would be lying if we said we were not worried about his passing. But we must trust in Sean.

On the flip side, I think his plays under center have suffered because he Isn't very feared as a passer. If he develops some rhythm and confidence during this time, then he will be that much more effective when he is back in the joker role

If he plays entire game or most of the game at QB you have to think we are going to run the ball upward of 35 times at minimum. I don’t see Payton dropping Taysom back 30-40 times , more like a heavy dose of Taysom Kamara and Murray

In the perfect world we would fire off on a lot of Play actions , screens and check downs to Kamara/Thomas . Taysom drops back 30 times max but with Payton you ever know

I just pay the defense shows up because if not this game plan goes out the window , and I really don’t want to see Taysom Hill in a shootout with Matt Ryan unless we can bring back 2008 Jahri Evans, Carl Nicks .

Let’s let the game play out though

I am also very worried, but I trust SP. He clearly sees something that I don't, and he knows way more than I do.

I am hoping Hill just crushes it. At the very least I want to see him get past his first read before taking off running.

I wonder if there is a bit of a "he has earned the shot" thing happening here? Either that or JW has been really bad at practice and Sean doesn't trust him at all.

When you tell the world and players for years that this guy is going to be the next Steve Young you kinda have to back it up at some point and time.
nows the time.

It could be better than Drew on 3rd and long. Rarely does Drew get the ball across the first down marker on 3rd and long. He tosses a check down to Kamara and hopes for the best. Taysom can do that and has the arm strength to get the ball upfield.

I'm not saying he has better decision making than Drew or his instincts......just a stronger arm which gives him more options. And, that's not even taking into consideration his ability to tuck it and run.

I'm much more worried about the fumbling than interceptions.

Fumbling, interceptions, inaccuracies and everything else we brought up dont matter after reading Sean's words from ESPN, who did an interview with him and got it from him. Will air in a bit, fyi, on NFL countdown. He throwing all that into the wind to see what he has in Taysom.

This game gonna be.......

It could be better than Drew on 3rd and long. Rarely does Drew get the ball across the first down marker on 3rd and long. He tosses a check down to Kamara and hopes for the best. Taysom can do that and has the arm strength to get the ball upfield.

I'm not saying he has better decision making than Drew or his instincts......just a stronger arm which gives him more options. And, that's not even taking into consideration his ability to tuck it and run.
This is bogus and you know it. Drew leads the league in third down percentages and you don’t do that strictly on dump offs and prayers!

Taysom threw the ball with accuracy in the 2019 preseason. Coming in for a play here and a play there and not being allowed to get in a rhythm is a different kind of thing. I think after a couple of easy throws to settle Taysom, he will do fine.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom