Taysom Hill Contract Year (1 Viewer)

ilvdsnts

Pro-Bowler
Reaction score
So, Taysom is in the 3rd year of a 3 year 1.665M contract. He made 465k in yr 1, 555k in yr 2, and is due to make 645k this yr. Not sure how much was guaranteed, if any. But, point is, sometime this year or after this year he will be due a contract. Thats not a bad contract for a QB3, but we all know he is more than just that, even if he is not QB2. We could be looking at having the highest paid QB3 in addition to the highest paid QB2 if we want to keep him. How much do you think he is worth to keep him in his current role?

He’s going to be a restricted free agent after this year, so we’ll tender him at whatever level the team chooses for one more year. So any new multi year deal wouldn’t come until after the 2020 season. At which point either one or both of our situations with Brees and Bridgewater will have been resolved, one way or the other. Probably.

So, Taysom is in the 3rd year of a 3 year 1.665M contract. He made 465k in yr 1, 555k in yr 2, and is due to make 645k this yr. Not sure how much was guaranteed, if any. But, point is, sometime this year or after this year he will be due a contract. Thats not a bad contract for a QB3, but we all know he is more than just that, even if he is not QB2. We could be looking at having the highest paid QB3 in addition to the highest paid QB2 if we want to keep him. How much do you think he is worth to keep him in his current role?

Think what we're paying Banjo and start there. Hill will obviously make more than a 4core special teams player, how much more might be key. I can easily see some team willing to pay him a nice QB2 salary to lure him away from us.

I would tender him at a first round offer. That will be at about $5 million and if some team offers him a long term deal we could match then we do. If not he leaves but we then get that teams 1 st round pick next year to draft a QB if we aren’t keeping TB or Drew retires.

I believe the majority of his snaps come on special teams. but I feel if we try to pay him like a STer, some team is going to give him a better offer.

I think we have time to figure it out with Hill. If he has another successful year as a do it all kind of player it should make for an interesting contract negotiation. What is a player like that worth? We don't know because he's the only player of his kind.

I predict another team will offer him around 7 million, a team that needs a QB, and the Saints will match it. If he has a huge year, maybe 12 million. Whatever the offer, I feel the Saints will match. Yes, they helped create the beast and fear seeing him on the other sideline.

I would tender him at a first round offer. That will be at about $5 million and if some team offers him a long term deal we could match then we do. If not he leaves but we then get that teams 1 st round pick next year to draft a QB if we aren’t keeping TB or Drew retires.

Probably a mistake from the saints perspective. Hear me out. Let's assume as most do that he won't be Drew's replacement. If he continues to play well this season and stays healthy, then it might be better to sell him at his peak and trade for exactly what they want. If they try to keep him with a first tier tender he will be some other team's Thorterback and the saints won't control where in the first round the pick is. In fact a team with an early pick could trade there pick with a later pick team for cash or players and then buy Taysom at a bargain and then only lose a 30th pick for instance.

I think they would have to make the draft swap somewhat before the Taysom tender to at least pretend the two are disconnected to avoid a gray area.

If they trade him on their own terms they may have more control over their compensation. Just saying.

Out of curiosity is a team has already given up their first round pick What then? Does it roll over to the next draft?

Probably a mistake from the saints perspective. Hear me out. Let's assume as most do that he won't be Drew's replacement. If he continues to play well this season and stays healthy, then it might be better to sell him at his peak and trade for exactly what they want. If they try to keep him with a first tier tender he will be some other team's Thorterback and the saints won't control where in the first round the pick is. In fact a team with an early pick could trade there pick with a later pick team for cash or players and then buy Taysom at a bargain and then only lose a 30th pick for instance.

I think they would have to make the draft swap somewhat before the Taysom tender to at least pretend the two are disconnected to avoid a gray area.

If they trade him on their own terms they may have more control over their compensation. Just saying.

Out of curiosity is a team has already given up their first round pick What then? Does it roll over to the next draft?

It doesn't work that way. If the Saints put a tender on a RFA and another team negotiates a deal (offer sheet) the player hass to submit that sheet to the original team. If the team decides not to match that offer word for word that offer sheet becomes a contract with the 2nd team and they MUST give up the draft pick to the original team. Any thing that happens after that point is strictly between the 2nd team and any 3rd or fourth team involved.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom