Taysom Hill exclusive: Talking life on and off the field with Meghan Payton (1 Viewer)

Winston may be “saying” all the right things this offseason... and “yes” he has the “route God’s” endorsement...

...but Taysom Hill has been doing the right things... his entire life! He’s a leader of men, a freak athlete, and a student of the game!

A lot of people are going to be SHOCKED at how good Taysom Hill looks as a QB, when they see him take the field this offseason, preseason, and regular season... as the Saints starting QB.
Sorry, I'm not on board as the Taysom as a QB. The best case scenario is Jameis wins the job. He is a natural QB who SP can turn into a winner.

Taysom is a great athlete and occasionally can spot as a QB but he is 30 years old and still has not mastered on how to look off receivers. He has been able to "take off" at every level. He can no longer run and hide.

I hope SP can be the QB whisperer with Jameis.

Ah!

You said it; therefore it must be so.

I know what I saw. During the games. He looks to make the hit first, rather than securing the ball. He waits FAR too long to transfer the ball to his outside hand.

We're not as dynamic when he's in at QB, as when he's in at FB, TE, whatever.

Reggie Bush. Darren Sproles. Not Spiller. Taysom Hill. Coach Payton likes to create havoc and mismatches. There's just not as many moving pieces to do that, if Hill is slotted as a QB.

If I'm wrong, I'm wrong. But can't you even conceive that I MIGHT be right?
...but what you are saying his issues of "making a hit first" and not securing the ball all fall under more of playing "joker" and other non QB categories as a concern. If you tout Hill as good at everything but QB, what you are faulting him for would be a MAJOR concern at all the other positions NOT QB.

He is more dynamic as QB WITH the addition of his running and being able to split out with #2 QB in for mismatches than just being a "joker" player. When he is in at any other position solely, they are looking for him to get the ball and run or possible pass catcher, he almost becomes more "one dimensional" than when taking the snap at QB with ability to throw or run. ...more options with him at QB, actually.

Sorry, I'm not on board as the Taysom as a QB. The best case scenario is Jameis wins the job. He is a natural QB who SP can turn into a winner.

Taysom is a great athlete and occasionally can spot as a QB but he is 30 years old and still has not mastered on how to look off receivers. He has been able to "take off" at every level. He can no longer run and hide.

I hope SP can be the QB whisperer with Jameis.
I can see the other side of the lines with people not putting much weight as Hill as a QB. There are concerns of his game that people can latch onto and formulate their opinion and nothing wrong with that when have a good validation. BUT, a lot of arguments presented just don't stand up when actually review film and such with Hill.

Watch the film of his starts at QB...he looks off receivers, runs through progressions, tight window throws, anticipation, etc. It is all there on film. Did he hold on to ball a couple times too long? yes...did Brees do that a few times a game? yes. What decision making and execution did he make that equated winning or losing the game...that is key. A fumble on an "effort" play is different than a pick 6 with no pressure and a wide open receiver that is mind blowing. These are not things people are making up or repeating published opinion. Hill has looked pretty good at QB in his starts. He has also had CSP running different offensive games for his 4 starts, which he managed and executed the call sheets pretty well...and with being his only first 4 starts at QB.

Winston has a LOT to take out of his "knee jerk" decision making in game time when it heats up. He has always been like that in the NFL. I have a post earlier that shows an HOUR of Winston's throws and such through his career and all of Hill's starts. In the 49er's game, Winston was doing alright in the 3rd quarter...lots of check downs and was getting the ball out moderately quick, 49ers were a bit loose underneath. He had a BEAUTIFUL anticipation throw to Kamara on the left. He had pressure and sacked and just went classic Winston from there on out. It was good to see some positive, but reverted in the end and should have been picked off a few times in the 4th. His decision making was night and day from the 3rd to 4th quarter.

I think CSP can give him all the chances and opps, but it is totally on his shoulders. I hope to see some progress and we won't know until week 5, if Winston starts, where he truly is. If he lights it up and it all clicks, it is a WIN/WIN, but people tout him like he is just a Madden custom player waiting to be unleashed. At this point he is what he is and his collective work in the NFL has led him to being a backup with lowball salary for 2 years now. Of course, CSP would be stupid not to see what he might have with his POTENTIAL and especially at an almost "free" QB salary. It isn't like he paid him BIG money to come in and be the franchise.

This sums up a bit of the Winston issues. Koetter tried to push him and motivate his decision making. It isn't about bad coaching, no one helping him develop, bad systems, bad o-line, bad receivers, etc. For him to succeed, he needs to erase everything he does as a QB while retain his live arm...decision making, reading D's, mechanics on throws that are not straight line between the hashes, etc.

I can see the other side of the lines with people not putting much weight as Hill as a QB. There are concerns of his game that people can latch onto and formulate their opinion and nothing wrong with that when have a good validation. BUT, a lot of arguments presented just don't stand up when actually review film and such with Hill.

Watch the film of his starts at QB...he looks off receivers, runs through progressions, tight window throws, anticipation, etc. It is all there on film. Did he hold on to ball a couple times too long? yes...did Brees do that a few times a game? yes. What decision making and execution did he make that equated winning or losing the game...that is key. A fumble on an "effort" play is different than a pick 6 with no pressure and a wide open receiver that is mind blowing. These are not things people are making up or repeating published opinion. Hill has looked pretty good at QB in his starts. He has also had CSP running different offensive games for his 4 starts, which he managed and executed the call sheets pretty well...and with being his only first 4 starts at QB.

Winston has a LOT to take out of his "knee jerk" decision making in game time when it heats up. He has always been like that in the NFL. I have a post earlier that shows an HOUR of Winston's throws and such through his career and all of Hill's starts. In the 49er's game, Winston was doing alright in the 3rd quarter...lots of check downs and was getting the ball out moderately quick, 49ers were a bit loose underneath. He had a BEAUTIFUL anticipation throw to Kamara on the left. He had pressure and sacked and just went classic Winston from there on out. It was good to see some positive, but reverted in the end and should have been picked off a few times in the 4th. His decision making was night and day from the 3rd to 4th quarter.

I think CSP can give him all the chances and opps, but it is totally on his shoulders. I hope to see some progress and we won't know until week 5, if Winston starts, where he truly is. If he lights it up and it all clicks, it is a WIN/WIN, but people tout him like he is just a Madden custom player waiting to be unleashed. At this point he is what he is and his collective work in the NFL has led him to being a backup with lowball salary for 2 years now. Of course, CSP would be stupid not to see what he might have with his POTENTIAL and especially at an almost "free" QB salary. It isn't like he paid him BIG money to come in and be the franchise.

This sums up a bit of the Winston issues. Koetter tried to push him and motivate his decision making. It isn't about bad coaching, no one helping him develop, bad systems, bad o-line, bad receivers, etc. For him to succeed, he needs to erase everything he does as a QB while retain his live arm...decision making, reading D's, mechanics on throws that are not straight line between the hashes, etc.

Exactly. I told my brother while Taysom misses reads my favorite thing about what I saw is he doesn't make bad decisions with where to go with the ball and rarely throws interceptable passes. A miss read is far different from a bad decision which is one thing as a guy who likes Jameis I can say he has had a problem with at every level of competition.

Every QB thread should just be prefaced with Jim Mora:

It always cracks me up when someone uses this Jim Mora rant, because if you couldn't win a single NFL playoff game with one of the best D's in history and later, Peyton Manning at QB? Well, Jim didn't really know either.....

My gut feeling is that Jamies will win the starting QB job, but I wouldn't rule out Taysom being the starter either. I'm just going to trust SP and staff to make the right decision and support whomever is the starter....we will see soon enough....

It always cracks me up when someone uses this Jim Mora rant, because if you couldn't win a single NFL playoff game with one of the best D's in history and later, Peyton Manning at QB? Well, Jim didn't really know either.....

My gut feeling is that Jamies will win the starting QB job, but I wouldn't rule out Taysom being the starter either. I'm just going to trust SP and staff to make the right decision and support whomever is the starter....we will see soon enough....
PLAYOFFS??!?!??

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom