Video Taysom Hill film study: Why you go with Taysom, what he struggles with, & what to give him. All-22 fun! (1 Viewer)

RevDeuceWindham

Player Evaluator/Analyst for The Athletic
Approved Blogger
Reaction score
So, I figured for all the film and analytics nuts out there I'd put together some pieces about Taysom we could talk about. Put these together on Twitter but obviously is a better platform to go in depth. In the videos I discuss why some of the plays do/don't work with Taysom but also why you ultimately go with him at quarterback. Before anyone points it out it's well known that I'm a Jameis > Taysom guy, but that' doesn't mean I don't understand why the choice was made. To be honest there isn't a wrong choice here. There is a preference choice. Sean Payton prefers to see if paying this guy was really worth it.

I'll admit I'm surprised Taysom was chosen but I get it. You can keep Atlanta guessing more with Taysom. But no matters who plays the same formula is needed to win. No turnovers and score tds in the redzone.

I'll admit I'm surprised Taysom was chosen but I get it. You can keep Atlanta guessing more with Taysom. But no matters who plays the same formula is needed to win. No turnovers and score tds in the redzone.

Good points. I'm excited to finally start getting (some) answers about Hill and what he can do in a real game situation besides a handful of snaps here and there.

So, I figured for all the film and analytics nuts out there I'd put together some pieces about Taysom we could talk about. Put these together on Twitter but obviously is a better platform to go in depth. In the videos I discuss why some of the plays do/don't work with Taysom but also why you ultimately go with him at quarterback. Before anyone points it out it's well known that I'm a Jameis > Taysom guy, but that' doesn't mean I don't understand why the choice was made. To be honest there isn't a wrong choice here. There is a preference choice. Sean Payton prefers to see if paying this guy was really worth it.

Excellent breakdown. You brought to light a conundrum that defenses face vs. Hill, especially when he comes out in an empty backfield set.

You have a 240 lb power-running QB in the backfield who clocks at a 4.4 40. But even in say, 21 personnel, having Kamara at RB often draws a nickel set because he can run routes and catch the ball like a WR (you don't want a LB on him). So you're already replacing LBs with DBs to play matchup outside, while taking LBs and DL off the field against a 240 lb QB who breaks tackles like twigs.

So now, are you gonna rush 4 and play zone, giving Hill rush lanes and a head of steam? Or are you going to go cover 0, bring heat to close off rush lanes and stop him before he gets started... but also have the rest of your defense playing man, turning their back to the QB, and not in position to rally if he escapes.

Having Hill on the field, at QB, makes it really difficult to properly group your defensive personnel.

Excellent breakdown. You brought to light a conundrum that defenses face vs. Hill, especially when he comes out in an empty backfield set.

You have a 240 lb power-running QB in the backfield who clocks at a 4.4 40. But even in say, 21 personnel, having Kamara at RB often draws a nickel set because he can run routes and catch the ball like a WR (you don't want a LB on him). So you're already replacing LBs with DBs to play matchup outside, while taking LBs and DL off the field against a 240 lb QB who breaks tackles like twigs.

So now, are you gonna rush 4 and play zone, giving Hill rush lanes and a head of steam? Or are you going to go cover 0, bring heat to close off rush lanes and stop him before he gets started... but also have the rest of your defense playing man, turning their back to the QB, and not in position to rally if he escapes.

Having Hill on the field, at QB, makes it really difficult to properly group your defensive personnel.

I think the best way to describe Taysom is that he puts defense is a perma-play action pass mentality. What I mean by that is, play action is generally "always" effective because it severely limits the coverages defenses can apply (so that the run can be properly respected). This makes the playcalling job for the offense a bit easier and allows you to pinpoint what you what in terms of attacking the defense.

Then it just comes down to the Hill executing. I think they can be successful as an offense. There's no questioning Hill's playmaking ability. It all comes down to those times where has to make decisions and can he execute. Can't wait to find out to be honest.

I don't think that ATL has the personnel to force a really good gameplan against Hill. The plan would be that you want to force him to pass often and shut down those early runs.

ATL has to be uber aggressive on offense and put us in a hole. Dirk & Ryan being the way that they are... I do think they'll shot themselves in the foot.

On defense, you want to crash on the run on 1st and 2nd down. You get us in 2nd/3rd and long. The more you have Taysom passing and the more hits he takes can spell doom.

I could see ATL go for it on 4th and <3 at midfield or greater at every possible chance if our offense do show signs of struggle.

BUT Atl don't have the personnel to really push for that kind of game. I can see it being a 17-14 game. I hope it won't be a Tim Tebow ugly win, but we are super clutch in those games. I wouldn't want to play us tight.

The only path for ATL is to jump on a big lead and force Taysom to pass without letting WR getting busted wide open coverage. Then, add up a bunch of hard hits on him

What makes me worried for Hill is getting all those hits and how they'll affect him going 60 snaps in a close game.

Last edited:
That very first video is the most worrisome for me.

He has to see that Sanders is coming way open and if it he anticipates and throws on target, that's at least 35 yards.

The very last video, great concept and design, we get nothing out of it because Taysom can't read and react properly. Again, very problematic.

That's just terrible quarterback play.

The second video Taysom was lucky Cook had so much separation that a mediocre throw didn't result in a PBU.

I think Sean will be pulling out his hair Sunday.

Last edited:
If Taysom starts I think he will see a lot of zone. Raheem Morris will force him to beat them from the pocket.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom