Taysom Hill: Getting Up to Speed (1 Viewer)

sportsaint

Pro-Bowler
Reaction score
This is for those in the know about the ends and outs of Pro Football. Taysom has been a quarterback his college and pro career. Why can't he learn from the best for the next year and become what we hope he can be? What does it take to quickly scan through progressions and read defenses? He's clearly a smart individual and has shadowed Drew since he's been with the team. Is it that difficult to take the next step? Thanks.

Saint Kamara

Formerly SaintSproles and SaintReggie
Reaction score
Taysom Hill is nowhere near being ready to be a starting QB in this league.

Defenses will confuse him so badly. Then there is pocket awareness. Then there is happy legs wanting to run too much at the first sign of pressure and potentially getting injured. There are so many things that can go wrong.

You better pray Drew stays 2 more years before handing the reins over to Taysom.

Swimmer

Medsamust Saint Fan
Reaction score
This is for those in the know about the ends and outs of Pro Football. Taysom has been a quarterback his college and pro career. Why can't he learn from the best for the next year and become what we hope he can be? What does it take to quickly scan through progressions and read defenses? He's clearly a smart individual and has shadowed Drew since he's been with the team. Is it that difficult to take the next step? Thanks.
Many of us are stoked about Taysom as QB. LC pointed out to me that Taysom got every year he QBed in college. Can he stay healthy an an entire season is the only big question on him. I just wish we could keep Teddy and Taysom.

dutar76

4th Year Vet
Reaction score
Taysom has been on our team for the past 3 years. He's been in the QB room with Drew Brees, Teddy Bridgewater... and that Savage dude.

He's had to sit in other rooms as well... ST's, WR, RB, TE's, etc.. So maybe he hasn't gotten the full load of the QB development he may have gotten otherwise. But I'll say this. The NFL game would not be too fast for him. And having played multiple positions in the offense (and played them very well), he'll have a keen insight that other QBs have never had. He's a very unique QB prospect with unique knowledge, experience, and skills. There's a lot for a coach to work with, and if there's one coach in the league that's proven he can color outside the lines, it's Sean Payton.

If Drew retires and Taysom becomes the starter... even if it's an 8-8 season, it will be interesting to say the least.

dutar76

4th Year Vet
Reaction score
Many of us are stoked about Taysom as QB. LC pointed out to me that Taysom got every year he QBed in college. Can he stay healthy an an entire season is the only big question on him. I just wish we could keep Teddy and Taysom.
Taysom has stayed healthy playing ST's, RB, TE, WR, and QB for 3 seasons. Not sure how many other QBs in the league would've stayed healthy doing all that.

BoNcHiE

Every team's Elixor
Reaction score
My #1 issue with Taysom is not whether I think he can make plays as a QB. I think he can do it for at least some period of time. It's that he's historically been made of glass and he runs like a RB. What happens when he gets hurt? And he's going to get hurt unless he stops running the way he does. But then if he does that, he's not Taysom anymore.

I'm not gungho about Hill for the same reason I don't think Lamar Jackson is a long term NFL star. These styles of play do not last and until I see someone actually go 5+ years doing it without breaking down, I'm not gonna buy into it. Cam Newton came the closest, but he's built like a DE and he still broke down way sooner than most thought.

BoNcHiE

Every team's Elixor
Reaction score
Taysom has stayed healthy playing ST's, RB, TE, WR, and QB for 3 seasons. Not sure how many other QBs in the league would've stayed healthy doing all that.
There's a difference between playing 22% of the snaps in positions where he gets to deliver the hits vs. playing QB 100% of the time and receiving them.

No2DC

Hall-of-Famer
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Okay, here goes in no particular oder:
Randall Cuningham
Vince Young
Andre Ware
RGIII
Marcus Mariota
Tim Teabow
I'll be back with some more names later but the only proven success stories are Steve Young and Russell Wilson, we don't know about Lamar long term.

Saint Droopy

Born/Raised in Hollygrove
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I like the role Taysom has now. Bring him in every now and then as a change of pace, but I don't think he should be the full time starter. He adds more to the offense in his current role than he would as the starter. Give him more snaps on offense.. but don't make him the starter.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Headlines

Top Bottom