Taysom Hill in Adam Schefter podcast (1 Viewer)

Every time I hear or watch an interview with Taysom there are always the same few takeaways.

1. He's a huge fan of Brees as a player and as a man.
2. He's grateful for the opportunity that Payton and the coaches have given him.
3. He loves football.
4. He'll be Saint for the rest of his career and he knows that.
5. He's playing along with the RFA game, but he's ready to just get a deal and get to work.

great interview! Thanks for posting Caliente.

you can tell he truly admires and loves Drew and says there is still more to learn from him. One thing he said that was most interesting is that while many backups get to learn from elite QBs but none of them actually get to be in the huddle with their mentor like he does. Says its invaluable to see how Drew handles guys and composes himself in the huddle.

Last edited:
Apologies El, but imma shoehorn this question in here vs starting a new thread-

How good of a qb would TH have to be to compensate for the loss of production elsewhere?
Just on the surface if TH is QB, we have to replace him with 4 bodies - and at least two of those bodies have to be pretty good

At this point I think Taysom is still WAY more valuable to us as a joker than just’ a qb

you can tell he truly admires and loves Drew and says there is still more to learn from him. One thing he said that was most interesting is that while many backups get to learn from elite QBs but none of them actually get to be in the huddle with their mentor like he does. Says its invaluable to see how Drew handles guys and composes himself in the huddle.
Hadn’t thought of the in the huddle thing
Interesting point

How good of a qb would TH have to be to compensate for the loss of production elsewhere?
Just on the surface if TH is QB, we have to replace him with 4 bodies - and at least two of those bodies have to be pretty good

At this point I think Taysom is still WAY more valuable to us as a joker than just’ a qb

There is a lot of truth to this as he essentially fills 5 roster spots and QB3 on gameday where most teams don't even have QB3 active. When Taysom elevates to QB1, SP will already have Taysom 2.0 on the roster somewhere. He's found a way to get more of out a roster and I expect he will continue to do that.

I think we'd see a completely different kind of offense with Taysom as the starter -- more like what Baltimore is running. Lot's of motion, RPOs, mixed with more dedicated ground & pound.

The big loss would be through Taysom's emergence as a receiver -- but the #2 WR and #2 TE spots were going to have to be priorities anyway moving forward.

Except for the fact that in that role, he simply doesn't touch the ball enough. The reason Lamar Jackson is so successful is because he's literally touching the ball on every play - so there is no chance he's a decoy and the defense has to account for all of his skills.

In the Minnesota game, Taysom was the only player on the field that the Vikings defense simply could not contain -- and he was only getting the ball occasionally.

The best use of Taysom is creating more opportunities for him to do something special.

There's more to it than just seeing it through QB eyes while on the field with Brees. He will know the offense from the FB, RB, TE and WR positions as well. He will know where guys have to be by not studying it and throwing the ball to them, but by actually having been on the receiving end.

There's more to it than just seeing it through QB eyes while on the field with Brees. He will know the offense from the FB, RB, TE and WR positions as well. He will know where guys have to be by not studying it and throwing the ball to them, but by actually having been on the receiving end.
That's never really been a key attribute to being a successful QB. Most guys have not played another position since high school or pop warner. I've mentioned this before but offensive coaches usually don't make dramatic changes to there system. Yes, coaches steal ideas and concepts all the time but they don't change their system. Baltimore brought in Roman to employ a system around LJ and I don't think SP is going to do that. I still think Taysom's truevalue at this point is as a joker.

Since we don't own him, we don't get to decide what position he plays beyond 2020. He's going to want QB money, not ST money. Before you pay the guy QB money you need to make sure he's worth it. I think he gets removed from special teams this year and more snaps at QB.

Since we don't own him, we don't get to decide what position he plays beyond 2020. He's going to want QB money, not ST money. Before you pay the guy QB money you need to make sure he's worth it. I think he gets removed from special teams this year and more snaps at QB.
Watch Jersey Sales go through the roof when Taysom becomes QB.

I think Taysom's most important attribute to football team is he's a great play maker..why not have the ball in arguably your best playmaker's hands as much as possible? That would undoubtedly be QB1

Thats what happens a lot in high school.

The problem is that in the NFL, he would take way too many hits if he keeps playing the way he does. My concern is that the very thing that makes him great, his tenacity and competitiveness, will either he dialed back or lead to him getting injured.

I’m really interested to see how he’s used this year.

Taysom was a happy accident. It was a three year evolution to get to the point we call him the JOAT.

Year one: Give him a shot at gunner on special teams. Ok that was pretty good.

Year Two: Can he return a kick off? Not bad. Dare we call a punt fake? Yes! Blocked punt! Who saw that coming? Can he run routes and catch balls? Hmmm maybe he does not have the hands for it. Give him a few snaps to run on 3rd and short. That works, Can he throw a deep ball? Jury still out.

Year three: Harris takes the returns. Still producing as the gunner, faker and kicker bodyguard. Slowly Drew starts to trust his route running and hands. (did he drop any catchable passes this year?). By year end he was a trusted goto reciever. More snaps to run but still too little passing to judge. And Still blocking punts.

Give credit to CSP for letting Taysom expand and develop but it isn't like they were thinking JOAT when they signed him. That thinking was a steady process over time.

Year four: The floodgates are open. Will this be the year he tests the waters on defense? Free safety anyone? Pass rush?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom