Saints Taysom Hill in the offense... (1 Viewer)

Saint Taysom

MultiTool Tool
Reaction score
Hill made a nice catch for the TD vs Houston, and now leads the TE group in TDs on the season ?

He clearly still has a few packages in the offense, and the development of his receiver skills is great to see.

When he lines up as the QB though, I think the Saints need to add some RPOs where Taysom keeps the ball, makes 1-2 simple reads and fires the pass.
Even if it only goes for a short gain, it will start to keep defenses honest... rather than just rushing the line and keying on Hill/Kamara.
It would also be cool to see him get an occasional toss sweep from the RB spot... that could lead to some HB options.

Yea I was sayin this yesterday to some friends. I’d love to see him take a read option, and have the opportunity to throw it or run it depending on what the defense gives him. I could see Jared Cook on a 10 yard out route to the right and if Taysom can’t run it, just toss it for an easy first down. Could be deadly.

I think Sean is saving those like get everyone believing when he's at qb he's running or someone else is and then boom hit with a throw down the line this year

I think Taysom should never line up at QB in a tight game so long as Drew is healthy AND moving the ball efficiently.

If we are looking for a spark or up by 10 or more, sure, give coordinators something to think about.

But if the offense is marching down the field, dont take Drew out for that cute tired sheet unless Taysom all the sudden can actually be a viable threat with his arm...which i guess plays to the OP's RPO point.

I hate nothing more than breaking up the rythm to play with that toy and try to force that into the offense.

I love Taysom Hill and it is crucial for the Saints to showcase him and put it on tape. Teams have to be cautious of him and gameplay for him. He made impact plays yesterday and came up huge. We saw he’s much more accurate in the preseason so that will come into play soon imo. The guy is a football player plain and simple. He does everything out there: block, rub, truck dudes, etc.

With the improvement he has shown as a passer this preseason over last year, I believe that we will see just that at some point this year.

Taysom is definitely over the Hill. Get it? Over the Hill? But honestly folks, don't y'all think he's lost a step or two on the read option play? I mean he got run down pretty easily by Houston's outside contain people.

I think Taysom should never line up at QB in a tight game so long as Drew is healthy AND moving the ball efficiently.

If we are looking for a spark or up by 10 or more, sure, give coordinators something to think about.

But if the offense is marching down the field, dont take Drew out for that cute tired shirt unless Taysom all the sudden can actually be a viable threat with his arm...which i guess plays to the OP's RPO point.

I hate nothing more than breaking up the rythm to play with that toy and try to force that into the offense.
I see your reasoning, but I think Drew is really okay with that because he is such an unselfish guy as long as he's in control of the offense. And I think the reason Payton likes to do it is simply to put more mental stress on the defense & their DC. I also noticed Taysom going from QB to another position without coming out of the game last night which I thought was a good wrinkle. I mean how do you think to defend, or not defend a guy who goes from QB to TE. or WR?. And think about this. Payton wasn't just trying to fool Houston. he was giving LA as much to chew on as he could.

I think he’s got the arm to take a few deep shots to Ginn, and catch defenses off guard. If I were Payton, I would let those two practice it a little one-on-one during practice. That could be an occasional game changer.

I think he’s got the arm to take a few deep shots to Ginn, and catch defenses off guard. If I were Payton, I would let those two practice it a little one-on-one during practice. That could be an occasional game changer.
Hill has to tape his fingers like a TE does, because of all the positions he plays in a game. This affects his passing ability, like it would any QB. That's one of the reasons Payton doesn't call a lot of passes for him.

Hill made a nice catch for the TD vs Houston, and now leads the TE group in TDs on the season ?

He clearly still has a few packages in the offense, and the development of his receiver skills is great to see.

When he lines up as the QB though, I think the Saints need to add some RPOs where Taysom keeps the ball, makes 1-2 simple reads and fires the pass.
Even if it only goes for a short gain, it will start to keep defenses honest... rather than just rushing the line and keying on Hill/Kamara.
It would also be cool to see him get an occasional toss sweep from the RB spot... that could lead to some HB options.

Could be Payton is laying a sucker trap for later. I also think that he makes many of his best gains on pass downs where the defense has dispersed down field a bit and he looks for the gaps in the pocket.

Taysom is definitely over the Hill. Get it? Over the Hill? But honestly folks, don't y'all think he's lost a step or two on the read option play? I mean he got run down pretty easily by Houston's outside contain people.

No, it seems like that because he was running laterally and had defenders on him pretty quick. I was suprised he picked up any yards on his two runs. They need to throw some passing options in so they keep the defense honest. Right now they only run which moves the safeties up.

No, it seems like that because he was running laterally and had defenders on him pretty quick. I was suprised he picked up any yards on his two runs. They need to throw some passing options in so they keep the defense honest. Right now they only run which moves the safeties up.
Actually I'm just making fun of the talking heads who are always looking for something to discredit Drew About. I think Drew will be okay & Taysom will as well.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom