Article Taysom Hill is Saints’ future at quarterback: ‘Bigger Lamar Jackson’ (1 Viewer)

Dan in Lafayette

Staff member
Administrator
Diamond VIP Contributor
Reaction score
There were many articles out today that sourced Jay Glazer from The Athletic. Jay has always been a reliable source for Saints info as he and Payton are tight. Here's a link to one of them.

In the Saints’ quest to find a worthy successor for 41-year-old Drew Brees, one NFL insider thinks their future quarterback is already on the roster — and could be “a bigger Lamar Jackson.”

“No smokescreen, he’s the guy,” The Athletic’s Jay Glazer said of backup Taysom Hill in a mailbag article on Wednesday. “Sean Payton loves him … I think Sean was always hoping to unleash him on the league without anyone seeing him before but now we’ve seen it with Lamar Jackson. He’s a bigger Lamar Jackson.”

Hill has been a divisive player since the team’s season ended in the NFC wild-card round to the Vikings. While many were impressed by the gadget player’s versatility at multiple positions, others immediately questioned if crowning him a future star signal-caller was premature.

“Even if we grant the premise that Taysom Hill was the ‘Best player on the field’ in that game, it was one game in a role he would never be used in as a starting QB,” CBS Sports’ Chris Towers said. “He’s gonna be 30 this year, and we have zero evidence he can be an effective passer.”

But Glazer has been a longtime believer in Hill, whom he views as a franchise quarterback in the making and has drawn parallels to Jackson, the reigning NFL MVP, in the past.

Full Story - Post

Jay Glazer.....

Dude's been wrong as an insider like...1 time ever...in his entire career.

Seemingly every other week since the end of our playoffs, we would get an article quoting Payton as saying Hill is the future, and I would barely blink.

But now Jay Glazer says it and I feel required to take it much more seriously, and to actually now expect to see it happen.

Jay Glazer.....

Seemingly every other week since the end of our playoffs, we would get an article quoting Payton as saying Hill is the future, and I would barely blink.

But now Jay Glazer says it and I feel required to take it much more seriously, and to actually now expect to see it happen.
Go back and watch the falcons game in the dome last season. Just under seven mins left in the first. Brees is split out as a WR. Hill in shotgun. He takes the snap drops back to the 30 and launches a back shoulder fade to MT13 who toe taps and falls out of bounds.

Watch that play and you'll see perfection and plenty of reason to believe what Coach says about Hills potential.

Then turn the game off because it doesn't get any better.

The Lamar Jackson comparison is one that shows how great Lamar is that he's getting people compared to him already. But it's setting way too unrealistic expectations on Taysom.

I get the idea of Taysom at QB excites Payton. He can have a lot of fun with it. Sean is a creative genius and will max out Taysom. That still doesn't get me 100% comfortable with the idea of him being our QB for a full season. Jameis is much more talented and will look like the much better QB in drills.

But hey, if we win a Super Bowl before Drew leaves, I'm on board with whatever Sean does after. If he wants to go mad scientist the following year and show people he can make a guy like Taysom a starting QB, go for it. I'll still be in the ecstasy of our Super Bowl win thus content with whatever the result of Taysom at QB produces...good or bad.

Jay was in an interview on somebody's show beginning of the year, with the fox sports lead guy (the one that wasn't a nfl player, can never remember his name). In the interview clip Jay states matter-of-factly that Taysom is CSP's guy, I've felt it is kinda set in stone after "seeing" exactly how Jay answered the question.

I'm sure someone can find and link the segment.

Taysom better learn to stop trucking people and slide, or he won't be a running QB for long. As agile as Jackson is, he occasionally takes the big hit, Taysom would take more. You can't let your No 1 QB take a lot of hits, or you'll be playing your No 2.

Jay Glazer.....

Same here. I don't believe it 100% until it comes from Glazer. It's been that way for the entire Payton era.

Taysom better learn to stop trucking people and slide, or he won't be a running QB for long. As agile as Jackson is, he occasionally takes the big hit, Taysom would take more. You can't let your No 1 QB take a lot of hits, or you'll be playing your No 2.
He knows how to not take hits at QB. He was BYU's QB every year he was there and his injuries weren't contact injuries, IIRC.

This is his injury history and he was more of a running QB than we'll probably ask him to be here. And look at the stats for his lone healthy season.

The main reason why Taysom Hill went undrafted was his lengthy injury history. From a knee injury in 2012 to a hyper-extended elbow in 2016, Hill has dealt with plenty of injuries. While he has never allowed an injury to affect his play the following season, he has had his season cut short by injury in four of his five seasons at BYU. His lone healthy season came in 2013, when he threw for nearly 3000 yards and ran for over 1300 yards.

His only contact injury was a broken leg in 2014.

So, yeah, we know he's a smart player just by managing to be a good-great player at multiple positions, so I'm sure the dude can learn to slide instead of trucking someone (unless they're smaller than him, like many DB's are).

Lamar Jackson is the only reasonable comparison for Hill's athleticism. That's saying a lot. I can see Hill having some success in an offense like the Ravens ran last season. He probably wouldn't put up some of the most impressive stats in NFL history and win the MVP, but I could see him winning a lot of games.

I think for a lot of people when they imagine Hill being the QB for the Saints they're thinking about him running the same offense Brees has run all these years. SP is going to put the next QB in the best position to succeed and I don't think the offense for the next QB is going to be the same. It can't be.

SP has shown time and again that his offense is malleable. He schemes to his players' strengths and exploits mismatches. He's wore defenses out by spreading the ball around horizontally and taking shots vertically. He ran the offense through a TE by ruthlessly exploiting mismatches and attacking the seam. He leaned on screens when he had the personnel to execute them perfectly.

He's even started running the ball more consistently and playing complimentary football with the defense. SP is never going to play Marty Ball but he has shown he can adapt. If Greg Roman can have that much success with Jackson then I'm sure SP can make it work with Hill.

Last edited:
Taysom is bigger than the people that tackle him. In fact he is probably a better tackler than the people that attempt to tackle him. But yeah, unnecessary hits are unnecessary.

This may be a little off but I think Taysom Hill's running style is closer to Terrelle Pryor than Lamar Jackson. Lamar is faster and has better lateral explosion compared to Taysom. Looking at Taysom, he is more of a downhill runner and once he picks up speed he is load to tackle.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom