Taysom Hill - Lisfranc injury (1 Viewer)

Sort of. I think Payton means he doesn't expect the injury to affect Hill's offseason preparation for next season. Payton also didn't expect MT to miss this season, so who knows what will happen.
It's really weird wording. It's definitely gonna impact Hill's offseason, but not the Saints and how they'll operate.

LisFranc's injuries requiring surgery don't have a very high "return to same level of quality play upon return. "
At least in comparison to say ACL rupture repairs.

"A 2016 study in the American Journal of Sports Medicine study found that offensive players did not have a statistically significant decline in career length or on-field performance following a Lisfranc injury."

The announcers during the game said that Hill said that he had to train himself to stop patting the ball after he injured his finger, because patting the ball with the finger injury was causing him to lose his grip on the ball.

Hill focused on changing a mechanical habit he's had for a long time and he significantly changed it for the better in just a few weeks. All evidence indicates that with the right focus and enough reps, Hill can get better at doing just about anything. He's that rare of an athlete mentally and physically.
That is some good news for us Saints fans.
Get well soon, Taysom, and back to 100 %.

Sort of. I think Payton means he doesn't expect the injury to affect Hill's offseason preparation for next season. Payton also didn't expect MT to miss this season, so who knows what will happen.
I doubt he thought Thomas would refuse the surgery until it was too late

I get the feeling that when someone interviews coach Payton just a few hours after such an injury and is being asked for an update about Taysom's foot injury, it would make little sense for him to lean to the side of negativity. There is only so much anyone could have known about the severity of the injury at that time, and so naturally he is going to keep his comment as upbeat as possible.

I'm sure the scans & surgery will give everyone a much better picture of what is in store for the Saints and for Taysom in the future.

I get the feeling that when someone interviews coach Payton just a few hours after such an injury and is being asked for an update about Taysom's foot injury, it would make little sense for him to lean to the side of negativity. There is only so much anyone could have known about the severity of the injury at that time, and so naturally he is going to keep his comment as upbeat as possible.

I'm sure the scans & surgery will give everyone a much better picture of what is in store for the Saints and for Taysom in the future.
The idea of Sean disclosing anything about an injury, especially now that he's not required to, makes no sense. The only decent info we'll get is when he has the first surgery, which I assume will be in a couple of weeks after any foot swelling has gone down.

This teams competitiveness relies on the defense not QB.

Hill to Siemien isn't that large of a drop off.
I disagree because the records show that there is a clear difference. If Siemian had a healthy Hill in his Arsenal as starter, I bet he would’ve performed better. Unfortunately, if availability is the best ability, Taysom’s ability to be available, especially in key matchups, is not looking good as of late. (I really think back to him being unavailable in The Bucs playoff game we likely would have won with him in the offense.)

I disagree because the records show that there is a clear difference. If Siemian had a healthy Hill in his Arsenal as starter, I bet he would’ve performed better. Unfortunately, if availability is the best ability, Taysom’s ability to be available, especially in key matchups, is not looking good as of late. (I really think back to him being unavailable in The Bucs playoff game we likely would have won with him in the offense.)
I don't want Simien anywhere near the role of starting QB next year, but it's not really fair to compare records.

Simien was missing several important pieces, including Deonte Harris and Alvin Kamara for most of his starts. And we still nearly beat the Titans in Nashville if not for a missed FG. Without a defensive breakdown at the end, he had the Falcons beat too.

It's also not fair to not count the two games which he played 75% of as wins in his column.

Those are things you can get a 4th string wr or rb to do at a fraction of the cost. Taysom is a great athlete but he doesn't excel at anything. He averages less than 500 total yds as a utility player and does not return kicks. Coradelle Patterson has a one year 3 million dollar contract and is a superior runner and receiver and an ALL PRO kick returner to boot. He seems like a cool guy but the Saints incessant need to compensate him and assuage his ego with contingent contracts (more money if he becomes starting qb) is very strange.
Your take is repeatedly dead wrong.

I just like typing facts. Have you ever seen an NFL team open the bank for a player and not get a return to the level of TH?
100's of times. You honestly are gonna say you don't see worse every single seaon from a lot of teams?

If you're paying Taysom as purely a Jack of all trades, then that 10M number is a ripoff in his favor. But he does bring the ability to play backup QB to the table which kinda (I guess) justifies the cost vs lack of production elsewhere.

My stance, other backup QBs make far less BTW (Huntley: 750K, Geno: 1.2M, Tim Boyle: 1.5M). We can't continue dumping all of this money into the Backup QB position just because he produces a handful of yds elsewhere - it's kneecapping our ability to address other positions with legitimate options.

Being said, no way in hell he's worth any more than that. I was always in favor of letting him test the market to gauge his true NFL value.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom