Taysom Hill - Lisfranc injury (1 Viewer)

Don't you also have to factor in that he can't stay on the field? The same problem existed when he was in college and now he's on the wrong side of 30. The way he is used he's probably not going to be around too much longer.
Injuries weren’t a huge problem before this season. Not since college. Hopefully this year will turn out to be an aberration in his pro career, and not a reversion to his college days.

I push back on the Taysom unicorn argument because it was a unique situation. He came in as an undrafted guy who played QB in college with tremendous athletic ability and he was willing to do anything to make the team. So he was willing to be a special teams guy, etc. His hard work got him in the door and at a certain point, Sean said let's see what you can do at QB. Other teams have former QBs on their roster but most of the time they just use them as the trick play type of guy. The only other recent team that tried to convert this type of player into a QB was Pitt with Stewart. He was somewhat successful but he fell into the same short-lived career as most running QBs: they are generally not as accurate as pocket QBs and injures begin mounting up. There are other athletes like Taysom but most of the time they make choice to play the position that will get them to the pros: usually WR or some type of RB. Keep in mind Lamar refused to run at the combine or do drills as a receiver. We are probably the only team in the league that has implemented this joker strategy, other teams just try to find a good TE, WR, or H-back. He is not above average at any of those positions and most teams have plays where they try and put the ball directly in their playmakers' hands (Hill or Henry for example).

I think Siemian get's a bad wrap, he look's smart and capable to me. I'd still rather have healthy Taysom just for the spark he brings, but Siemian is a pure QB. He's been well trained.

I push back on the Taysom unicorn argument because it was a unique situation. He came in as an undrafted guy who played QB in college with tremendous athletic ability and he was willing to do anything to make the team. So he was willing to be a special teams guy, etc. His hard work got him in the door and at a certain point, Sean said let's see what you can do at QB. Other teams have former QBs on their roster but most of the time they just use them as the trick play type of guy.
This post is in no way making an argument that Hill should be the starting QB over any other QB. It's only purpose is to point out correct historical facts.

So many fans have Hill's path to the Saints and his journey with the team completely backwards.

Payton claimed Hill off of waivers, because he liked him as a QB.

Payton was looking at Green Bay's tape to check out a WR. While doing that Hill's QB play got Payton's attention, so he asked the scouting department and other coaches, paraphrasing, what about this player isn't what we're looking for in a QB. They all re-scouted Hill and decided to claim him off of waivers for the QB room, not special teams are anything else. He only played QB for Green Bay in the preseason. He didn't do anything else.

Then a few games into the season, the special teams was struggling and down a few players to injury. Payton pushed the special teams coach for better performance and the ST coach said he needed better players. Patyon asked him which ones and the ST coach pointed out Hill. They asked Hill if he'd play special teams and he said he'd do whatever they needed him to do.

Payton saw how quickly Hill picked up the coaching, how well he put it into execution on the field and just how athletic he was, so Payton started scheming ways to take advantage of all the things Hill could do while Brees was still the starting QB.

Hill was claimed off waivers as a QB. Payton's first vision for Hill was as a QB. Payton still sees Hill as viable starting QB, even though he sees Winston as a better one. The actual experiment with Hill was in the joker role, not the QB role.

Too many people bought into the announcers foolishly saying "no coach plays a guy they see as a possible starting QB in all these other roles." Most coaches don't, but Payton isn't most coaches, now is he?

Last edited:
That's the concern. I really like the things he does for this team, especially the Wildcat/Read Option QB stuff. And, he was starting to "get it" as a pure QB. It blows that he will lose most, if not all, of the offseason when he could have developed more.

And, I'm concerned that this injury will make him less effective as the great power runner that he is. I mean, you can probably find a kid later in the draft to use as a Read Option QB, but there aren't many guys that combine Hill's power and speed as a Read Option QB. The last one close was Tebow and Hill is more of a threat as a passer and I think a good bit faster. But, my hope is that Hill's straight ahead running style won't be too affected by the injury. It's probably more of a worry for a guy that cuts and avoids contact a lot. Hill has never seen contact that he didn't like. But, I do think the injury could make him lose a step or two in terms of speed.
I want Hill to heal up and come back and play the role he was set to play at the start of the regular season. Players, coaches, and a lot of fans love him, so I hope that happens. I don’t have a “problem” with his salary, but acknowledge the Saints didn’t have to pay him that much on the most recent extension.

As other have noted I think Sean tendering Hill in a 1st rd slot when he was a restricted FA back in 2019 is mostly why he might be overpaid today.

Regarding Hill’s role as a wildcat/read-option/back-up, I think Sean might have just signed something of an insurance policy for that role by signing Blake Bortles to a futures contract today.

Not saying Blake is better than Taysom or vice versa, but Bortles has good wheels and is a big physical runner for a QB (but he’s not the runner Hill is), he has been a zone read QB his whole career, and is decent as a passer in small doses (meaning you won’t win games throwing 40 times with him).

If next year’s roster has JW as QB1, Hill as long term backup and his joker role, with Bortles as the QB3 being capable of also running QB powers,/read options, which effectively makes Bortles an insurance policy for Winston AND Hill.

In this scenario, Book gets another year of seasoning on the practice squad. I know the Book-Gang is gonna clown bomb me for that, but that’s cool.

Just my thoughts.

Last edited:
I want Hill to heal up and come back and play the role he was set to play at the start of the regular season. Players, coaches, and a lot of fans love him, so I hope that happens. I don’t have a “problem” with his salary, but acknowledge the Saints didn’t have to pay him that much on the most recent extension.

As other have noted I think Sean tendering Hill in a 1st rd slot when he was a restricted FA back in 2019 is mostly why he might be overpaid today.

Regarding Hill’s role as a wildcat/read-option/back-up, I think Sean might have just signed something of an insurance policy for that role by signing Blake Bortles to a futures contract today.

Not saying Blake is better than Taysom or vice versa, but Bortles has good wheels and is a big physical runner for a QB (but he’s not the runner Hill is), he has been a zone read QB his whole career, and is decent as a passer in small doses (meaning you won’t win games throwing 40 times with him).

If next year’s roster has JW as QB1, Hill as long term backup and his joker role, with Bortles as the QB3 being capable of also running QB powers,/read options, which effectively makes Bortles an insurance policy for Winston AND Hill.

In this scenario, Book gets another year of seasoning on the practice squad. I know the Book-Gang is gonna clown bomb me for that, but that’s cool.

Just my thoughts.
I think it makes sense and is possibly what they are doing.

Just my thoughts.
The offseason has officially started!!! The SSF is considering the upside of “futures contract” signee Blake Bortles! 😂

I don't want Simien anywhere near the role of starting QB next year, but it's not really fair to compare records.

Simien was missing several important pieces, including Deonte Harris and Alvin Kamara for most of his starts. And we still nearly beat the Titans in Nashville if not for a missed FG. Without a defensive breakdown at the end, he had the Falcons beat too.

It's also not fair to not count the two games which he played 75% of as wins in his column.
I agree that Trevor shouldn’t be in a QB competition.

That would make sense.

I think Taysom's future as Iron Man will end with an injury settlement before Tyasom plays out his guaranteed money. If he has surgery on his foot. He will have had lisfranc surgery on both feet. The first time at BYU, along with a broken ankle, and knee he missed time with. He will be 32yo and his recovery from lisfranc will be at least a year, if it heals properly. Arthritis will start setting in quickly at 32yo. I think Blake is the new Taysom. If you think I am wrong, just look at what the same injury is doing to Davenports durability. And he has only one bum foot.

Makes u wonder is this the end of the qb tay experiment. He has never finished an entire season without an injury. He’s a year younger than cam newton. My buddy is an orthopedic surgeon. He said lisfranc is bad for a guy who runs hard and recovery is easily 11-12 months. I never knew this but he said most dr don’t want to fix lisfranc because it is so hard to stabilize the area due to all the moving bones. He said the surgery isn’t like Achilles or acl repairs. Sad for him that’s for sure. Sad for us to lose that kind of player that plays all these positions and the amount of dead cap we will have. Wonder how Injury settlements work.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom