Taysom Hill - Lisfranc injury (1 Viewer)

The American Journal of Sports Medicine outlined what kind of recovery time could lie ahead for Hill: “NFL players who underwent surgery to repair a Lisfranc injury missed an average of 10 games, though were sidelined an average of 11.6 months (because of recovery extending into the offseason).”

I would be surprised if Taysom isn't ready by training camp. I believe his last Lisfranc injury at BYU happened in September, so that would be the whole season + the offseason - 11 months. If Taysom's foot falls off then I guess it's time to panic. Till then, no worries. The Saints should have a good idea how his recovery is going by FA and the draft.

The timetable can vary depending on the severity of injury, with worse injuries and those requiring fusions probably taking longer to recover. With ORIF and screw removal, it is possible that players could return to play around 5 to 6 months after the injury. However, the average return to play demonstrated in studies is 10 to 11 months which I think is a more realistic timetable.
It seems like, since the timetable in bold is based on from injury, that earlier recovery would be to around June 2nd to July 2nd and average recovery would be around November 2nd to December 2nd. I'm assuming any longer recovery would be well after the season ends.

So his recovery range seems to be anywhere from before training camp to after the season's over. Hopefully, they'll be able to narrow that range down before the start of free agency to give Payton and the staff a better idea of what they need to prepare for.

Last edited:
Yeah, but the foot hasn't been Davenport's issue. It's mostly been been his shoulder or elbow as far as I recall.

I think Hill can come back and be okay, but it will very likely be 10 to 11 months before he is even cleared to do football activities, which will likely basically put him out for the year. That being said, I think Davenport came back in 7 months so Hill has a shot at coming back earlier. But, I suspect if he does, it will only be as a backup QB, not running QB Power or playing TE/H-Back. Maybe with over a year to heal he can get back to that other stuff, but that puts him at 33 or 34.
Call me skeptical, but Taysom has had lisfranc on both feet, plantar fasciitis, a concussion that sidelined him for 3 weeks. He will be a 34yo running QB when he recovers, tell me who is he going to beat out for the back up QB roll in 2023?

If Taysom was a waiter at any FQ restaurant with Taysom's injury history. Any non football orthopedic surgeon worth his oath, would tell him to go look for a new job off his feet. He could easily blow out his foot. There are only a limited amount of times you can fix tiny bones in the feet and hands, and have them work properly. Quitting while you are ahead, is not the same as quitting. That said. I'm more concerned about his health going forward as he ages, than whether he earns the money we paid him. That's on Sean. I will never fault a player for taking the money for his family.

Call me skeptical, but Taysom has had lisfranc on both feet, plantar fasciitis, a concussion that sidelined him for 3 weeks. He will be a 34yo running QB when he recovers, tell me who is he going to beat out for the back up QB roll in 2023?

If Taysom was a waiter at any FQ restaurant with Taysom's injury history. Any non football orthopedic surgeon worth his oath, would tell him to go look for a new job off his feet. He could easily blow out his foot. There are only a limited amount of times you can fix tiny bones in the feet and hands, and have them work properly. Quitting while you are ahead, is not the same as quitting. That said. I'm more concerned about his health going forward as he ages, than whether he earns the money we paid him. That's on Sean. I will never fault a player for taking the money for his family.
Why would that be on Sean? He's not the one who writes the contracts and checks.

This is exactly the reason I was never high on Taysom at QB. It's amazing how many discounted it.

Now, his athletic ability is so high that he could very well have a long shelf life as a pocket passer still. However, the odds of him becoming just an average pocket passer withtout the element of running is so low that it doesn't make him a legit option to be the "future" at QB. I love Hill though, he's fun to watch and he's a great football player. I love the way he can energize the team. He's absolutely worth keeping around just in case he can become that pocket passer and he's certainly worth keeping around as the swiss army knife version. Problem is, he's getting old for the swiss army knife player as well.

Hopefully he recovers quickly. I really hated seeing him go down, it looked like he was finally getting some confidence, finally getting his finger healthy enough to not impact his passes. It was his time to show out but he finally got healthy in time to get hurt.

That's why we signed Bortles. He has a long rehab ahead of him. I wish him the best but the Taysom we've gotten used to may never be seen again, at least the joker side. It's also a reminder of the dangers of being a running QB.

I've been here a while, and I know how it works. Sean has influence, but again, he's not the one who negotiates the contracts and signs the checks.
Sean has last call on everything football related. Perhaps you are just being naive. Do you really believe Loomis made the call on Taysom's contract? lol

Sean has last call on everything football related. Perhaps you are just being naive. Do you really believe Loomis made the call on Taysom's contract? lol
Of course I do. Sean says sign em up if you can, then Loomis does what he can to get it done. Pretty much like any other team in the league for the most part. :shrug:

Taysom was reported to have a Lisfranc injury. Is it the same foot he had the lisfranc injury at BYU?
Ya'll realize this not only was an injury from BYU but, he DID IT TO HIMSELF!!
Meaning, back when it happened, he was running into the endzone for a touchdown and stopped too fast on that foot!!
I crap you not, go back and watch the footage...
It was a way to 'show-boat' by indicating: Not only did I score, I can stop fast too [or you know, something to that effect...]

Ya'll realize this not only was an injury from BYU but, he DID IT TO HIMSELF!!
Meaning, back when it happened, he was running into the endzone for a touchdown and stopped too fast on that foot!!
I crap you not, go back and watch the footage...
It was a way to 'show-boat' by indicating: Not only did I score, I can stop fast too [or you know, something to that effect...]
Are you trying to prove that it is actually possible to post something stupider than the Brees Resurrection thread.

Please say yes.

I swear I said 11 months in previous post ;-) yeah my buddy taught at lsu ortho for 16 years. when he saw it he said not good. pocket passer it might not be as bad but for RPO it would be detrimental.

I wonder does the saints do an injury settlement to free up roster spot and how much of a cap hit does this cost.
Are injury settlements a thing in the NFL?

And that's not counting your stays at Holiday Inn Express hotels!
Pardon me, unlike most, I don’t consider my studies abroad as serious studies.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom