Taysom Hill Talk (1 Viewer)

Reaction score
3 of the 4 games he played last year, Taysom threw for more yards than Lamar's avg per game last season. Taysom averaged 252 ypg. MT13 had 2 100 yd games in this stretch. Lamar averaged 183 ypg last year. The denver game was a joke being that Payton kept the offense on the tightest leash in the world. 3 of 4 games, his completion % was 73-78%.

It felt like Payton was being super conservative with the run calls for Taysom as well. He averaged less than 10 carries a game and averaged 52.25 ypg rushing. Lamar averaged 67 ypg rushing with almost an attempt more per game. Lamar is one of the best to do it with his legs. Taysom ain't far from behind and I think has room to improve if given the chance. He has to take care of the football, no doubt. Zero excuses.

Lamar Jackson is winning football. Yet Taysom is a joke to most. Taysom can sling 30-40 yard ropes. He's put the ball 55 yards downfield. He has a strong enough arm. His accuracy has shown to be better than Teddy B or anything Jameis has done albeit a different offensive style.

Taysom is willing to actually do what is necessary to be done on the field to help his team win. Period. And now, a few instagrams later, he's an after thought. He's not to be taken seriously.

I agree - Good luck with the thread

I think Lamar is a very good comparison for what Taysom can bring to our offense... But I think Taysom is already a better passer than Lamar... I can also see our offense becoming more dynamic in the run game (much like BAL has become since Lamar took over)... while making our defense better by not being on the field as long.

I would think if Taysom wins the job - Lamar and the BAL formula on offense and defense will be where Sean takes us.

Last edited:
The only opinion that ultimately matters when it comes to Hill’s talent and progression is Payton’s. The rest is noise. Plenty of people don’t take Winston seriously, either. It’s going to all get worked out.

I think Hill showed some potential but there were some real concerns to go along with that. It doesn’t help that he doesn’t have a lot of pro QB experience and he’s on the other side of 30, so he’s got to improve a lot and quickly for an ongoing investment in him at QB to make sense. It can happen, though, and he’s going to be given every opportunity to show if he can take over, I’d imagine.

I wish every Saints fan would just pull for all of the guys trying to make the team and earn playing time, hope the competition brings out their best, and leaves Payton with some tough choices to make and a competitive team to coach.

It doesn’t help that he’s on the other side of 30, so he’s got to improve a lot and quickly for an ongoing investment in him at QB to make sense. He’s going to be given every opportunity to show if he can take over, I’d imagine.
Age ain't nothing. Taysom's age almost helps us keep him short term contract that doesn't cost us top tier qb monies. Taysom ain't the one that had to physically rehabilitate his body neither.

Age ain't nothing. Taysom's age almost helps us keep him short term contract that doesn't cost us top tier qb monies. Taysom ain't the one that had to physically rehabilitate his body neither.

His age isn’t a deal-breaker but it’s hardly ideal, either. Especially when you’re comparing him to a 24 year old Lamar Jackson. QB is the toughest position to play and master. If he proves to be a fast learner, it’s less of a consideration. Like Kurt Warner, you go with the guy who most helps you win. If that turns out to be Hill, great!

His age isn’t a deal-breaker but it’s hardly ideal, either. Especially when you’re comparing him to a 24 year old Lamar Jackson. QB is the toughest position to play and master. If he proves to be a fast learner, it’s less of a consideration. Like Kurt Warner, you go with the guy who most helps you win. If that turns out to be Hill, great!
Taysom's age helps due to his maturity. You can't always plan a dozen years, you have to plan for what's in front of you. Boy... to go back to when Drew was 31 years old and have the next 5 years again...

I would not bet against Taysom. They snicker that he wasn't drafted and swore he'd never start a game as quarterback. But a lot of people thought he played better than any of the backups at Green Bay.....here's the highlights....... and many felt he outplayed Bridgewater in that preseason. The QB battle will bring out the best in both.....will be fun to watch.

Taysom's age helps due to his maturity. You can't always plan a dozen years, you have to plan for what's in front of you. Boy... to go back to when Drew was 31 years old and have the next 5 years again...

Sure. But Drew had also been playing pretty continuously at the position for years by then.

Even Kurt Warner had accrued playing time in other leagues by the time he took over for the Rams in his late 20s. Experience makes a difference. Those reps at live speed help create muscle memory.

I will say that something I think really works in Hill’s favor is a lot has been asked of him and he’s stepped up in a big way. The amount of preparation and learning his role requires bodes well for the mental part of playing QB. He’s a student of the game in the truest sense. We know he’s very athletic and has enough arm strength, if he can quickly improve his internal clock, his on-field awareness, develop quick recognition and decision making, I think he can be a very good QB. But it’s also true that the mental part of the game is what separates the QBs who have a successful NFL career and those who don’t.

Hey, I’m not betting against him.

3 of the 4 games he played last year, Taysom threw for more yards than Lamar's avg per game last season. Taysom averaged 252 ypg. MT13 had 2 100 yd games in this stretch. Lamar averaged 183 ypg last year. The denver game was a joke being that Payton kept the offense on the tightest leash in the world. 3 of 4 games, his completion % was 73-78%.

It felt like Payton was being super conservative with the run calls for Taysom as well. He averaged less than 10 carries a game and averaged 52.25 ypg rushing. Lamar averaged 67 ypg rushing with almost an attempt more per game. Lamar is one of the best to do it with his legs. Taysom ain't far from behind and I think has room to improve if given the chance. He has to take care of the football, no doubt. Zero excuses.

Lamar Jackson is winning football. Yet Taysom is a joke to most. Taysom can sling 30-40 yard ropes. He's put the ball 55 yards downfield. He has a strong enough arm. His accuracy has shown to be better than Teddy B or anything Jameis has done albeit a different offensive style.

Taysom is willing to actually do what is necessary to be done on the field to help his team win. Period. And now, a few instagrams later, he's an after thought. He's not to be taken seriously.
Look, what we are the media says nmeans nothing. Coach will play the better player.

Hmmmmm...... Probably because 2 of his 4 starts were against the worst defense in football and a team that we know well. One was against a team that didn't even have a QB so how pumped up was their defense to play a game they knew they would lose? And his loss came against a team starting a rookie QB with a good but not great defense. Add to that his turnovers and surely I understand the skepticism.

I'm not knocking him, but you have to take the things above into consideration when you evaluate him. His deep passes are often late and short. It's a result of his lack of anticipation. He will need to improve that and his ability to read the entire field to lead a team to success over the course of 17 games.

Hmmmmm...... Probably because 2 of his 4 starts were against the worst defense in football and a team that we know well. One was against a team that didn't even have a QB so how pumped up was their defense to play a game they knew they would lose? And his loss came against a team starting a rookie QB with a good but not great defense. Add to that his turnovers and surely I understand the skepticism.

I'm not knocking him, but you have to take the things above into consideration when you evaluate him. His deep passes are often late and short. It's a result of his lack of anticipation. He will need to improve that and his ability to read the entire field to lead a team to success over the course of 17 games.
Worst defense in football that drew always beats by a field goal?

sample of 2 on deep balls being late of which it was elongated play action. Reps will fix.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom