Taysom Hill took a step or two back as a passer today (1 Viewer)

I think some perspective is needed for Taysom Hill. These huge judgments based on tiny samples are ludicrous. Modern day message boards are filled with posts of "he's the Savior/he's a bum" for every coach and player after each game. It is absurd. You can start to judge someone after a season or two, not a few games, and especially not after the first two starts of someone's career. Is Drew Brees a Hall of Famer? Are you glad he is a Saint? What would you have said about him after his SECOND FULL SEASON as a starter in the NFL? I will tell you what you would have done, you would have run him out of town and he never would have developed into what he is today. You want proof? Here are the stats for his first two seasons starting. You tell me what you would have said about him.

2002 16 games started, 8-8 record, 526 passing att, 320 comp, 60.8%, 3284 yards, 17 TD, 16 INT, 24 sacks, 38 rushing att, 130 yds, 1 TD, 0 fumbles

2003 11 games started, 2-9 record, 356 passing att 205 comp, 57.6%, 2108 yards, 11 TD, 15 INT, 21 sacks, 21 rushing att, 84 yards, 0 tds, 1 fumble

So, pretend you are on the San Diego Charger message board at the end of 2003. What would you have been saying about Drew Brees? Would you want him back for season three? My guess is no way and he would have been crucified on the message boards. Give Taysom a chance to learn and grow and see what he can become. If it becomes clear he is a bum, it will become obvious at some point, but it isn't obvious now.

As for Jameis, I think he is pretty good but not careful enough with the ball. He will score points but also put the team in bad positions to win games. He could develop beyond that. There is still time for him.

I think some perspective is needed for Taysom Hill. These huge judgments based on tiny samples are ludicrous. Modern day message boards are filled with posts of "he's the Savior/he's a bum" for every coach and player after each game. It is absurd. You can start to judge someone after a season or two, not a few games, and especially not after the first two starts of someone's career. Is Drew Brees a Hall of Famer? Are you glad he is a Saint? What would you have said about him after his SECOND FULL SEASON as a starter in the NFL? I will tell you what you would have done, you would have run him out of town and he never would have developed into what he is today. You want proof? Here are the stats for his first two seasons starting. You tell me what you would have said about him.

2002 16 games started, 8-8 record, 526 passing att, 320 comp, 60.8%, 3284 yards, 17 TD, 16 INT, 24 sacks, 38 rushing att, 130 yds, 1 TD, 0 fumbles

2003 11 games started, 2-9 record, 356 passing att 205 comp, 57.6%, 2108 yards, 11 TD, 15 INT, 21 sacks, 21 rushing att, 84 yards, 0 tds, 1 fumble

So, pretend you are on the San Diego Charger message board at the end of 2003. What would you have been saying about Drew Brees? Would you want him back for season three? My guess is no way and he would have been crucified on the message boards. Give Taysom a chance to learn and grow and see what he can become. If it becomes clear he is a bum, it will become obvious at some point, but it isn't obvious now.

As for Jameis, I think he is pretty good but not careful enough with the ball. He will score points but also put the team in bad positions to win games. He could develop beyond that. There is still time for him.

A couple of observations
  1. 5 years as a starter is a track record. It is a lot harder to argue that Jameis Winston just hasn't had a chance to blossom. 2 games is not a track record.
  2. I would discourage calling anyone who takes an honest shot at playing in the NFL a bum. Putting yourself out there and risking yourself physically and emotionally is deserving of respect regardless of the level of success. The only bums are those who on or off the field demonstrate bad attitudes or actions.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom