Taysom Hill took a step or two back as a passer today (1 Viewer)

I'm a Taysom Hill fan. He has a great attitude and he's fun to watch. I'd love it if he becomes our Franchise QB. I never liked Winston on any level. All the off field issues and that time he came off the bench to go after Lattimore, combined with his atrocious turn over history turn me off.

All that being said if Taysom turns out to be bust at QB and Winston shows that he's matured and has gotten a handle on his T.O. s I'll be the first to call for Winston. So yeah, I'm a little biased but I think everyone who's screaming for Winston and bagging on anything they find to denigrate he and Payton are just blinded by their biases. They're pretty much the same people who wanted to bench Brees when struggled earlier in the year.

Why are people so enthused by the idea of JW as our next QB? Is it a race thing? That's the 800 lb gorilla in the room that nobody has the guts discuss.
Winston (allegedly, but likely) raped a girl and got away with it. The story on the cover-up, the testimony from that poor girl and her parents that ran in the NYTimes (not a publication I care for) were pretty damning, along with uber incident. I can look past the entitled crab legs stuff easily, young and dumb. But as a man, Winston has a lot of atonement and reparation to make before I ever consider him a quality person. That's not counting on the field.

His remarks just last year, self gloating about his stats/play while also throwing +30 interceptions - that's neither accountability nor leadership. I would hope Sean Payton's offense and learning under Drew would limit opportunities for bad decisions; that Payton's offense and Drew's mentorship would help Winston know pre-snap exactly where he is going with the ball and only take calculated risks.

And to be honest, I'd rather see what we have in a rehabilitated Winston than a pipe dream project Taysom who hasn't had 8+ years solely developing as a QB with a NFL QB coach and gurus and doing nothing but QB work since he was 22 - the position every other 30 year old NFL QB would be in at this point in his career. Taysom came to the NFL already old, and hasn't spent one full season working and developing and learning as solely a QB. One read and look to run or stand there with indecision. Taysom looked like the guy that last played QB 4 years ago in college before being moved to WR.

We expected this in the first game. Atlanta was clearly expecting Jameis, and only had rushing footage on Taysom. We have to see what Taysom can do when teams scout against him. Its time to see....and keep Jameis on the sideline.

Winston (allegedly, but likely) raped a girl and got away with it. The story on the cover-up, the testimony from that poor girl and her parents that ran in the NYTimes (not a publication I care for) were pretty damning, along with uber incident. I can look past the entitled crab legs stuff easily, young and dumb. But as a man, Winston has a lot of atonement and reparation to make before I ever consider him a quality person. That's not counting on the field.

His remarks just last year, self gloating about his stats/play while also throwing +30 interceptions - that's neither accountability nor leadership. I would hope Sean Payton's offense and learning under Drew would limit opportunities for bad decisions; that Payton's offense and Drew's mentorship would help Winston know pre-snap exactly where he is going with the ball and only take calculated risks.

And to be honest, I'd rather see what we have in a rehabilitated Winston than a pipe dream project Taysom who hasn't had 8+ years solely developing as a QB with a NFL QB coach and gurus and doing nothing but QB work since he was 22 - the position every other 30 year old NFL QB would be in at this point in his career. Taysom came to the NFL already old, and hasn't spent one full season working and developing and learning as solely a QB. One read and look to run or stand there with indecision. Taysom looked like the guy that last played QB 4 years ago in college before being moved to WR.

WTF does that have to do with anything? Its not even true...just alleged.

Ben Rapistburger has Raped 2 women. Stop bringing up nonsense

I love Taysom but I’m not sure you can ever say he took the step forward if we are being honest.
I still believe that it is impossible to know what we have in Taysom from such a small sample size. Though my gut also tells me there is something missing from the standpoint of the typical NFL starting QB package, there's little doubt that Hill is anything but the typical field general.

There was a lot of 'dialing down' in that game yesterday, perhaps to the point of taking Taysom out of his rhythm. But I'm glad that Atlanta has only film from two weeks ago to go by for this weekend. Maybe that was the plan all along, because we sure didn't need to do anything fancy to win against Denver. I had already prepared myself for some ups & downs in his game. Now it's time to give us some 'ups' this Sunday! :9:

Last edited:
well my point is much to the OPs. It just didn’t prove much. His decision making yesterday was bad.

Yeah, I agree.

I would be more concerned with his decision making over his actual throwing, I just felt his decision making was much better game 1. Personally, I am just on the fence of we need at least like 4-5 games to really judge it.

I don't think it's all Taysom's fault. Denver's defense is solid, plus we didn't have the entire left side of our offensive line.

For comparison purposes, here's what other "real" QB's have done against Denver

NAMECMPATTPYDPTDINT
Tom Brady
25​
38​
297​
3​
0​
Cam Newton
17​
25​
157​
0​
2​
Patrick Mahomes II
15​
23​
200​
1​
0​
Justin Herbert
29​
43​
278​
3​
2​
Derek Carr
16​
25​
154​
0​
0​
Tua Tagovailoa
11​
20​
83​
1​
0​
Taysom Hill
9​
16​
78​
0​
1​
The numbers aren't very pretty, except for Tom Brady's haircut. Even Mahomes was held in check. Justin Hebert (he should learn how to spell his name correctly :) ) kicked butt, but still threw 2 picks.

What the Fork! does that have to do with anything? Its not even true...just alleged.

Ben Rapistburger has Raped 2 women. Stop bringing up nonsense
Relevant to the "800 LB Gorilla in the room" portion of what I was responding to. I didn't think it had anything to do with race (the dislike for Winston) and everything to do with his off the field and on the field character.

And I don't care for Big Ben either, for the same reasons.

I dont think I would consider his first start not a step forward.

People saying he couldn't throw, yet he was pretty much on the money on every throw and played very well. I was honestly surprised
Well, those where designed one read plays that where wide open.

Very Nick Foles boom or bust style of success.

Well, those where designed one read plays that where wide open.

Very Nick Foles boom or bust style of success.

Still showed he can throw the ball accurately from it o_O I was very proud of his pass first mentality from game 1. So I think there were things to take from the game, instead of roasting a guy who goes 18/23 200+ yards, just think that game deserved credit for what he was asked to do.

Like I said in my second comment as far as being on the fence and not leaning one way or the other with Taysom, I believe in seeing a bigger sample size than two games. Not taking away from the good game he had but also not acting like the second game didn't leave some things to be desired. I do however think he is much better than people give him credit.

I dont think I would consider his first start not a step forward.

People saying he couldn't throw, yet he was pretty much on the money on every throw and played very well. I was honestly surprised
I was also honestly surprised in the 2nd half of the Atlanta game. Even in preseason, he'll have a game where he doesn't resemble a QB who can get past the first read, then he'll follow it up with a game where he looks better than Teddy. Granted, that's against a defense not game-planning and very vanilla, but if Taysom could reliably throw the ball and make all the reads, he'd have been doing more than just keeping it on an option when every defense and their momma's knew what he was about to do while Drew got yanked for the gadget over the previous 3 years.

Why the success against Atlanta's D in second half? Maybe they were demoralized, maybe we know how to exploit a divisional opponent we play twice a year much better than an AFC opponent we play every 4 years, maybe Taysom has developed some. I think it was more the staff's familiarity with the opponent and Payton's scheme than Taysom actually being able to identify matchups and the defense pre snap, make adjustments, go through multiple progressions, anticipate, and consistently make accurate throws in the midst of pressure. I think what we saw against Denver's defense - when you had absolutely no pressure of losing the game - that's a lot closer to where Taysom is developmentally. Denver has a legit defensive scheme and good defensive personnel. His indecision and hesitancy looked like Teddy's first few games starting in Drew's place, not trusting his WR's nor his eyes. That comes with time and experience. But Teddy never looked that awful... just slow internal clock.

Why the success against Atlanta's D in second half? Maybe they were demoralized, maybe we know how to exploit a divisional opponent we play twice a year much better than an AFC opponent we play every 4 years, maybe Taysom has developed some. I think it was more the staff's familiarity with the opponent and Payton's scheme than Taysom actually being able to identify matchups and the defense pre snap, make adjustments, go through multiple progressions, anticipate, and consistently make accurate throws in the midst of pressure. I think what we saw against Denver's defense - when you had absolutely no pressure of losing the game - that's a lot closer to where Taysom is developmentally. Denver has a legit defensive scheme and good defensive personnel. His indecision and hesitancy looked like Teddy's first few games starting in Drew's place, not trusting his WR's nor his eyes. That comes with time and experience. But Teddy never looked that awful... just slow internal clock.

the unbolded is bingo...

the bolded is in part, the edict he received from SP...DO NOT TURN THE BALL OVER. So he was going to over-think any throw because he was given a directive to follow entering this game.

And i think familiarity is key. Had this been a common opponent for us ( we face routinely ) i think the scheme is totally different in that SP lets loose throwing the ball knowing full well our what our defense can do against a division foe.

the unbolded is bingo...

the bolded is in part, the edict he received from SP...DO NOT TURN THE BALL OVER. So he was going to over-think any throw because he was given a directive to follow entering this game.

And i think familiarity is key. Had this been a common opponent for us ( we face routinely ) i think the scheme is totally different in that SP lets loose throwing the ball knowing full well our what our defense can do against a division foe.

I have been agreeing with this take. Taysom showed no sign of hesitancy against the falcons. I think him being hesitant against the Broncos is partly due to their stout defense BUT also like you said I believe Taysom was just scared to make certain throws unlike falcons because he knew they would only need to be smart with the football to win. I just saw a much more confident Taysom against the Falcons and I think him being told NO TURNOVERS was just something that made him second guess a lot of things and not get a rhythm, at the end of the day it was meant to be a run heavy game regardless. Yeah he showed bad decision making and not trying to make excuses but every game is different in what needs to be done for a W. Just need more games to judge it, but CSP knows better than we do lol

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom