Taysom Hill's performance last night (and how it compares to Bridgewater's) (2 Viewers)

I've asked this before and I already know the logical answer is "no way," but Sean Payton is a true offensive genius. Is there any way SP could develop a 2 QB platoon system with Teddy and Hill?

Last season, they had 2.5 qb's on game day.

When Drew hangs it up, it could just easily go to 2 qb's on game day. (I graduated TH from .5 qb to 1 qb...)

With TB taking the bulk of qb plays and TH continuing to increase his number of qb plays.

Then in another year's time, it should be clear who is the better option at full-time qb. (And if it is TB, then TH will still have some qb plays but probably at the same level as last season.)

Of course, if the Saints acquire yet another qb...

It's been said by a few announcers now and Payton hasn't corrected anyone, so I think it's likely true. What's intriguing to me is that Steve Young keeps saying that Hill entered the league as a better QB than he did and that he thinks Hill will be a better QB than he was.

I'm not counting on it, but it sure would be nice to see the Saints have their own and better version of Montana and Young. I think Brees is better than Montana. If Hill ends up better than Young, that would make up for suffering through all those years of the Saints playing second fiddle to the Montana and Young lead 49'ers.

Now, all the Saints need to be compared to **those** 9ers is to do a lot of shady financial dealings to pay some top level players...

(How and why those 9ers never had their championships stripped is beyond me.)

My understanding is that he fully attends all of the position meetings, but only gets partial practice at each position. So he gets full mental prep, but only partial repetition prep. I remember Payton once saying that there are many players that could do that as successfully as Hill has.

Sean has held players back before, like Kamara and Graham. It's possible that Payton is both taking advantage of Hill's diverse talents while Brees is still playing and avoiding developing Hill to his full QB potential before Brees retires. I read a long time ago that Walsh used the threat of Young to push Montana and Montana hated it.

I think Payton may be taking the opposite approach.

Ummm, I don't think Drew would ever be threatened by the prospect of TH.

: - )

[But, I like the rest of the post.]

Found these 2 articles:

In both, there's the same quote:

" “If you look back at Steve [Young]’s career, people don’t remember the time before he came to the NFL, you have a very athletic player that, I think, advanced when he got to San Francisco,” said Payton. “He always had great ability with his legs, so you’re trying to create visions for players, and that’s no different than how you’d evaluate how we see Teddy Bridgewater progressing and what we think he can be." "

Shouldn't it be "Taysom Hill" in that quote???

I like to compare playing QB to playing point guard in basketball. There is a certain level of 'feel' to it... you can call it really good peripheral vision, anticipation, reaction time/reflexes... it's really the right combination of all of the above. My best QB's I've coached are guys who at some point in their athletic lives had been point guards in basketball.

Completing 9 passes in a row is about as easy as hitting 9 jump shots in a row. It shows that just like Brees, once Hill becomes comfortable, his confidence grows and he can be really hard to slow down.

This untrained guy has always valued players who have Anticipation in spades. (Both Offensive and Defensive sides of the ball.)

(Jay Glaser used to say that Drew is in the Matrix and sees all - both present and future...)

[I'd say more, but then I'd really sound dumb.]
: - )

There is a bit of history rewriting going on in the forums. Don't forget it was Payton that was impressed with his 2017 Packers preseason at QB. He was acquired as a QB and it wasn't until late in the season that they discovered his do everything ability.

If he was the stumble bum overwhelmed by an NFL offense scheme like the revisionists try and claim I doubt Payton would have given him a second glance.

Go read the Packer forums and see all the remorse that they let him get away when Rogers got injured.

The Teddy Boosters are overselling this difference between them. They want to blame Taysom for running when he sees a high percentage first down gain. The rest of us see smart. Games are won with first downs.

In the current make-up of the Team behind Brees, TB is the logical #2 based on his experience and maintaining the same offense scheme built around Brees.

Now after Brees, nothing is written for the offense in my opinion. I recall that before Payton talked Brees into coming to the Saints after he tried to get an unknown and unproven Tony Romo from the Cowboys. I can't help but think that Payton sees the same athletic and play making ability in TH that he saw in Romo. Obviously Payton likes that personality and style of play BUT the question becomes is, has Payton been spoiled by Brees and no longer have the patience to handle the frustration of the number of missed and unscripted plays that TH would run if he was the starter? With Brees, I think Payton knows how the play is going to develop along with Brees pre-snap and with TH is kinda a crap shoot of go out there and run this play or make something happen if you screw it up which is what Romo did his first couple years.

Found these 2 articles:

In both, there's the same quote:

" “If you look back at Steve [Young]’s career, people don’t remember the time before he came to the NFL, you have a very athletic player that, I think, advanced when he got to San Francisco,” said Payton. “He always had great ability with his legs, so you’re trying to create visions for players, and that’s no different than how you’d evaluate how we see Teddy Bridgewater progressing and what we think he can be." "

Shouldn't it be "Taysom Hill" in that quote???

I think he usually throws a bone to the other when he praises one of them. Every coach has to manage tender egos all the time.

In the current make-up of the Team behind Brees, TB is the logical #2 based on his experience and maintaining the same offense scheme built around Brees.

Now after Brees, nothing is written for the offense in my opinion. I recall that before Payton talked Brees into coming to the Saints after he tried to get an unknown and unproven Tony Romo from the Cowboys. I can't help but think that Payton sees the same athletic and play making ability in TH that he saw in Romo. Obviously Payton likes that personality and style of play BUT the question becomes is, has Payton been spoiled by Brees and no longer have the patience to handle the frustration of the number of missed and unscripted plays that TH would run if he was the starter? With Brees, I think Payton knows how the play is going to develop along with Brees pre-snap and with TH is kinda a crap shoot of go out there and run this play or make something happen if you screw it up which is what Romo did his first couple years.

I don't disagree.

Good coaches adjust the scheme to fit the their talent. Payton is a good coach. If TH is the best option at QB--regardless of whatever style of a QB he may be--I'm pretty sure Payton will make the necessary adjustments to put his signal caller in position to succeed.

Good coaches adjust the scheme to fit the their talent. Payton is a good coach. If TH is the best option at QB--regardless of whatever style of a QB he may be--I'm pretty sure Payton will make the necessary adjustments to put his signal caller in position to succeed.
Exactly my thought as well. A curious thought that we will never know the answer to is what would have been Paytons offense if he did not start out with Brees as his QB? There was a whole bunch of uncertainty around Brees that first year but he had a great O line to protect him and the football gods delivered Bush and Colston in his arsenal that first year as well. I remember the story about Payton Drawing plays on napkins as soon as he heard Houston passed on Bush and that tells you how he designs his offense to the players he has.

Could Payton do this again after Brees? bring in a whole new nucleus to develop the next franchise identity.?? It may look nothing like the Brees era.

He may even want to make them. SP is human and as such has an ego just like the rest of us. Payton enjoys the origin story of how he discovered Tayson. Every time Tayson explodes with a key play in a new position, Payton gets credited as the coach who had the insight to find and use Taysom that way.

If, and that is still an if, SP were to mature Taysom and craft a playbook around him so that he becomes a worthy successor to Brees that would be twice that Payton found and turned a diamond in the rough QB into a Franchise player.

So, will payton's ego play a role in the direction he takes post Brees?

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom