Taysom Hill's performance last night (and how it compares to Bridgewater's) (1 Viewer)

TCUDan

Cutting the lead blocker
Staff member
Administrator
Platinum VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Like everyone on here (it appears) I was extremely pleased with Taysom Hill's performance last night. And before we even get into the technical aspects, the first thing that always stands out about him when he's on the field is his mental/physical toughness and what a competitor he is. He brings those key intangibles to the table not just as a QB but as a football player.

From a coaching perspective, what I enjoyed seeing was the level of improvement his QB play has undergone since last year.
--He has really improved his pocket presence, his progressions, and his timing and ball placement down the field.
--He managed each drive very well and followed the old adage of 'taking what the defense gave him,' throwing away from the conflict defender and checking down when his progressions dictated.
--His placement on the wheel route to Austin Carr on the TD, for example, showed how he has matured as a passer, as the ball was delivered on time and placed properly vs. a cover 2 shell (he delivered a 2-ball to the hole between the flat defender and deep half player, whereas in the past I think he's still trying to touch that ball over the top to the back pylon in that situation).
--He is standing tall on the balls of his feet with his eyes down the field in his drop backs, and he is going through full-field progressions. And he has a really nice delivery.
--His improved pocket presence means that he is using his legs more as a weapon in his arsenal, rather than his primary method of making plays. This makes him exponentially more dangerous if and when he needs to play as an every down QB rather than a gadget player.

His performance was overwhelmingly positive, but as I think it is an emotional reaction to anoint him as the clear #2 QB over Bridgewater:
--From what I could see, Bridgewater appeared to be trusted with more command of the offense during his snaps than Hill. He was making more checks at the line, using more motions and shifts, and commanding a larger pie of the system.
--For example, I did not see Hill running any quick game or timing/spacing plays. This is a centerpiece of the Saints' offense. Along with the checks, audibles, and formationing (shifts and motions), this is what the Saints use to dictate tempo to a defense, establish a
rhythm, and open up the other aspects of their game.
--Every pass play that Hill ran was either play-action or true drop back. As I said, he performed very well on these plays, made good decisions, and I think only had 2 negative plays (the two sacks).
--But being an NFL QB for 60+ snaps a game requires a lot more. It is hard to quantify in percentages how much of the offense was actually used when Hill was in there (I am not only talking about play variation, but the level of freedom he was given presnap to make decisions and put the offense in the correct position), but it was clearly less than what Bridgewater was given.
--So while it appeared that Bridgewater played less efficiently or made more mistakes, he was asked to essentially run the offense as Brees runs it... as most starting NFL QBs run it. So I think it is a little premature to compare the play of the two QBs, especially once you factor in the nature of preseason football (the level of schematic challenge they are actually receiving from the opposing defense).

Personally speaking--strictly on an aesthetic level (if that phrase can be applied here lol)--I prefer Taysom Hill. I love his physical skills, his toughness, and I do expect more from Bridgewater at this point, given his QB pedigree... and he has a really funky release that I think leads to some bad ball placement. And I want to reiterate that Hill did EXACTLY what he was asked to do last night, and that is all a player can do. Pointing out these aforementioned differences is not a negative review of him, I give him a solid A for his performance last night whereas I would give Bridgewater a B-/C+.

However, as a coach, I can appreciate the fact that Taysom Hill is probably still a gadget player in the mind of the coaches. I am not saying he shouldn't be given the chance to be the heir to Brees... or even that he isn't being considered as such. But watching the 2 halves of the game last night, it was clear who was being asked to command more of the Saints' offense, and that was Bridgewater. And I am sure there is a reason for that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Like everyone on here (it appears) I was extremely pleased with Taysom Hill's performance last night. And before we even get into the technical aspects, the first thing that always stands out about him when he's on the field is his mental/physical toughness and what a competitor he is. He brings those key intangibles to the table not just as a QB but as a football player.

From a coaching perspective, what I enjoyed seeing was the level of improvement his QB play has undergone since last year.
--He has really improved his pocket presence, his progressions, and his timing and ball placement down the field.
--He managed each drive very well and followed the old adage of 'taking what the defense gave him,' throwing away from the conflict defender and checking down when his progressions dictated.
--His placement on the wheel route to Austin Carr on the TD, for example, showed how he has matured as a passer, as the ball was delivered on time and placed properly vs. a cover 2 shell (he delivered a 2-ball to the hole between the flat defender and half player, whereas in the past I think he's still trying to touch that ball over the top to the back pylon in that situation).
--He is standing tall on the balls of his feet with his eyes down the field in his drop backs, and he is going through full-field progressions. And he has a really nice delivery.
--His improved pocket presence means that he is using his legs more as a weapon in his arsenal, rather than his primary method of making plays. This makes him exponentially more dangerous if and when he needs to play as an every down QB rather than a gadget player.

His performance was overwhelmingly positive, but as I think it is an emotional reaction to anoint him as the clear the clear #2 QB over Bridgewater:
--From what I could see, Bridgewater appeared to be trusted with more command of the offense during his snaps than Hill. He was making more checks at the line, using more motions and shifts, and commanding a larger pie of the system.
--For example, I did not see Hill running any quick game or timing/spacing plays. This is a centerpiece of the Saints' offense. Along with the checks, audibles, and formationing (shifts and motions), this is what the Saints use to dictate tempo to a defense, establish rhythm, and open up the other aspects of their game.
--Every pass play that Hill ran was either play-action or true drop back. As I said, he performed very well on these plays, made good decisions, and I think only had 2 negative plays (the two sacks).
--But being an NFL QB for 60+ snaps a game requires a lot more. It is hard to quantify in percentages how much of the offense was actually used when Hill was in there (I am not only talking about play variation, but the level of freedom he was given presnap to make decisions and put the offense in the correct position).
--So while it appeared that Bridgewater played less efficiently or made more mistakes, he was asked to essentially run the offense as Brees runs it... as most starting NFL QBs run it. So I think it is a little premature to compare the play of the two QBs, especially once you factor in the nature of preseason football (the level of schematic challenge they are actually receiving from the opposing defense).

Personally speaking--strictly on an aesthetic level (if that phrase can be applied here lol)--I prefer Taysom Hill. I love his physical skills, his toughness, and I do expect more from Bridgewater at this point, given his QB pedigree... and he has a really funky release that I think leads to some bad ball placement. And I want to reiterate that he did EXACTLY what he was asked to do last night, and that is all a player can do. Pointing out these aforementioned differences is not a negative review of him, I give him a solid A for his performance last night whereas I would give Bridgewater a B-/C+.

However, as a coach, I can appreciate the fact that Taysom Hill is probably still a gadget player in the mind of the coaches. I am not saying he shouldn't be given the chance to be the heir to Brees... or even that he isn't being considered as such. But watching the 2 halves of the game last night, it was clear who was being asked to command the Saints' offense, and that was Bridgewater. And I am sure there is a reason for that.

Saw the same, offered up this perspective. If Pete Carmichael leaves after this year does he bring Taysom with him to a new team? I think Payton would prefer Bridewater because he fits the system to a T. Is capable of doing full reads or split reads where I think Taysom is still doing the half field reads, and as you mentioned Bridgewater has more command of the offense ie pre-snap adjustments.

Still Taysom is fun to watch and i was as pleased as you are with his game last night.

Saw the same, offered up this perspective. If Pete Carmichael leaves after this year does he bring Taysom with him to a new team? I think Payton would prefer Bridewater because he fits the system to a T. Is capable of doing full reads or split reads where I think Taysom is still doing the half field reads, and as you mentioned Bridgewater has more command of the offense ie pre-snap adjustments.

Still Taysom is fun to watch and i was as pleased as you are with his game last night.

He was typically passing either from gun or from under center using hard play action. That hard play action really limits the linebackers ability to fit into the progressions, so he was asked to make some easier high/low reads with some really clear coverage windows to deliver into. It isn't a realistic depiction of what he would see game-to-game, drive-to-drive, and I would compare it to a backup QB coming off the bench for the first time and leading a team to a comeback victory.

Usually the next week, where he enters the game as the starter, is a lot more difficult.

Excellent post. You echo my sentiments exactly. I like Taysom a lot and I like that he seems to be progressing as a QB. The reality is that unless something really bad happens, Taysom will see many more snaps this season than Teddy B. Teddy B's role is different. I think he is a great teammate and if he had to start a game, I think we would be just fine. I am not quite ready to anoint either as the heir apparent just yet but lets just try to enjoy this season.

One positive note that I forgot to mention is that he looks like he has adjusted his diet and workout regimen, and shed some of the bulk that he's carried the past couple of seasons. He is still big, strong, and explosive, but I thought he looked less stiff in his movement not just when scrambling or running, but when he climbed the pocket.

--His placement on the wheel route to Austin Carr on the TD, for example, showed how he has matured as a passer, as the ball was delivered on time and placed properly vs. a cover 2 shell (he delivered a 2-ball to the hole between the flat defender and deep half player, whereas in the past I think he's still trying to touch that ball over the top to the back pylon in that situation).

His performance was overwhelmingly positive, but as I think it is an emotional reaction to anoint him as the clear the clear #2 QB over Bridgewater:
--For example, I did not see Hill running any quick game or timing/spacing plays. This is a centerpiece of the Saints' offense. Along with the checks, audibles, and formationing (shifts and motions), this is what the Saints use to dictate tempo to a defense, establish rhythm, and open up the other aspects of their game.
--But being an NFL QB for 60+ snaps a game requires a lot more. It is hard to quantify in percentages how much of the offense was actually used when Hill was in there (I am not only talking about play variation, but the level of freedom he was given presnap to make decisions and put the offense in the correct position), but it was clearly less than what Bridgewater was given.

Personally speaking--strictly on an aesthetic level (if that phrase can be applied here lol)--I prefer Taysom Hill. I love his physical skills, his toughness, and I do expect more from Bridgewater at this point, given his QB pedigree... and he has a really funky release that I think leads to some bad ball placement. And I want to reiterate that Hill did EXACTLY what he was asked to do last night, and that is all a player can do. Pointing out these aforementioned differences is not a negative review of him, I give him a solid A for his performance last night whereas I would give Bridgewater a B-/C+.

However, as a coach, I can appreciate the fact that Taysom Hill is probably still a gadget player in the mind of the coaches. I am not saying he shouldn't be given the chance to be the heir to Brees... or even that he isn't being considered as such. But watching the 2 halves of the game last night, it was clear who was being asked to command more of the Saints' offense, and that was Bridgewater. And I am sure there is a reason for that.
Nice to read an objective and well thought out post in the midst of all the hysteria on some other threads. Isn't it interesting that the responses reflect the tenor of the O.P? :scratch:

I think the Saints are going to have a tough decision next year. I think the only way Taysom stays is if he gets backup QB money. If that happens then he cant be used on special teams or gadget player. Some team out there is going to give Taysom a shot at competing to start or at least backup QB. Do the Saints stick with Teddy and let Taysom go or do they pay Taysom?
To me there is no argument who has more upside and that is Taysom. I also don't write Teddy off because of his play yesterday. Every QB has a bad game every once in a while.

I agree what is said but i think it should be made clear that Hill may not be the reason that the O was set up that way when he was in there. maybe the offense was used because most, if not all of the players in the game with him wont be there when the final roster comes out and dont get the snaps in practice to be able to make all the calls and reads. this is why i want to see Hill play this week after Drew's series with the starters.

Many people don't realize, including me until recently, that it's just Taysom's 3rd NFL season, wheras it's Teddy's 5th. I think that's worth noting. I think there's still room for both to grow, but at this moment I think Taysom gives you the best shot at winning, if needed, and I think his quickness and dual threat ability give him the edge. Looking to see how Teddy bounces back from yesterday's awful performance. The coaches obviously see potential in him, and I'm willing to let one bad game slide due to sickness.

Taysom Hill is also too quick to pull it down and run. He seems to move laterally to much and not let the pocket get established which inhibits his vision of the whole field. He may lack patience or just have happy feet. I am not sure the Saints will ever be able to break down the dual threat mentality he has. If he became a full time starter I would suggest you look back to his college career and see how much time he lost to injuries.

Taysom Hill is also too quick to pull it down and run. He seems to move laterally to much and not let the pocket get established which inhibits his vision of the whole field. He may lack patience or just have happy feet. I am not sure the Saints will ever be able to break down the dual threat mentality he has. If he became a full time starter I would suggest you look back to his college career and see how much time he lost to injuries.
someone asked him in the post game about taking hits. he said they havent told him anything specifically about it but hes aware, but then he says he feels he can break just about any tackle, so he said he takes it play by play as if he will slide run out of bounds, truck someone...

Guys before we anoint TH as the next Steve Young we need to remember some things. He is an NFL level athlete. He was playing against mostly college players who won’t make an NFL roster. So his athleticism was above everyone else on the field. I too love what he brings but let’s reign it in a bit

SP and ML have been retooling for post DB for a few years now. Our next QB will not be DB. By definition they can’t be. DB is the GOAT so no one will match him. I think Teddy can be a game manager that we can win with

someone asked him in the post game about taking hits. he said they havent told him anything specifically about it but hes aware, but then he says he feels he can break just about any tackle, so he said he takes it play by play as if he will slide run out of bounds, truck someone...

Playing like that is a concern if there's any chance of him being a full-time starting QB. If he were to earn that role, I'd think he'd be instructed to play it a little more safe, unless there's a game-winning play on the line. For now, though, it's exciting to see him breaking tackles and stiff-arming guys like a running back.

Guys before we anoint TH as the next Steve Young we need to remember some things. He is an NFL level athlete. He was playing against mostly college players who won’t make an NFL roster. So his athleticism was above everyone else on the field. I too love what he brings but let’s reign it in a bit

SP and ML have been retooling for post DB for a few years now. Our next QB will not be DB. By definition they can’t be. DB is the GOAT so no one will match him. I think Teddy can be a game manager that we can win with

While I agree that we should tamper enthusiasm over his performance in a preseason game, we've also seen him make plays throughout last season with the starters, and I'm sure there's more to come.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom