Taysom Hill's performance last night (and how it compares to Bridgewater's) (1 Viewer)

Bridgewater will always be, at best, a lesser version of Brees.

Taysom is something totally different. They can't be compared.

Post-Brees, I think we want something a little different. No one can live up to Brees.

And I think Peyton is intrigued with the challenge and versatility of Taysom versus just trying to find "the next Brees".

There is no "next Brees". Time to pivot.

(For what it's worth, I like Bridgewater and think he's an above average starter in the league.)

If the regular season started tomorrow and Drew Brees were unable to play, the far-and-away most likely scenario is that Bridgewater would be the starting QB and Hill would retain the same role he has when Drew Brees is the starter, with perhaps a few more snaps at QB than he has with Drew Brees in the game.

I could be wrong (maybe there is a quote from Hill somewhere contradicting what I am about to say), but I don't think he is unhappy with his role on the team. Maybe we as fans are projecting our desire that he take more snaps as a conventional QB because he is such an exciting player to watch with the ball in his hands, and we know that the time is coming when Drew Brees will hang up the pads.

But the fact of the matter is that Taysom Hill is getting a lot more snaps in his current role than he would as the "backup QB". Can he be both gadget player and #2 QB? Of course. But the notion that he's out the door if he doesn't get that I think is us projecting a bit. I have had a few QB's who were great all-around football players, guys who could just as easily take snaps at DE or WR as they could take snaps from center. There is always that desire in the back of their mind to just "play ball"... to run around and make tackles, catch passes, etc. It's fun for them, and in Taysom Hill I see a guy living the QB dream... someone who is having fun and who, to be quite honest, would not be seeing the field and may have never made it off of anyone's practice squad if he didn't have Sean Payton as a HC.

I have a really good feeling about his development at QB, like what I've seen, but the offense would need to be fundamentally changed if he became a full-time starter (which is not the end of the world at all). But in Bridgewater, I think the coaches see a guy who is more ready to plug into the current system, which is very demanding of the signal-caller. For now, I'll just continue to be excited about what Payton has cooked up every time #7 steps on the field.

Last edited:
I will say that I don't like the disruption that TH brings to the flow of the offense when Drew is replaced under center with him especially on 1st and 2nd downs. Third/forth down short yardage situation I can see it but I hate to see the ball put in TH hands when DB is one of the all time great passers.

Having said that, TH is an intrigue. IF he grows into a better pocket passer, with his athleticism and competitive nature, I don't see how Teddy gets the nod post Drew.

Taysom has also shown improvement with accuracy and touch. It's even been evident in the QB challenge games they have at the end of practice. The reads and progressions seem to have slowed down for him as well. Putting great touch and accuracy on passes gives RB's, WR's and TE's a ball that is catch-able and allows them to make moves and gain yards after the catch. Too much zip when you don't need it leads to turnovers.

Do you guys feel that the incomplete pass from TH to Butler on the first third down was thrown too hard. It looked like it blew through Butler's hand and hit his face guard. Not sure how to view that incompletion. Was it thrown too hard or was it all on Butler?

Do you guys feel that the incomplete pass from TH to Butler on the first third down was thrown too hard. It looked like it blew through Butler's hand and hit his face guard. Not sure how to view that incompletion. Was it thrown too hard or was it all on Butler?

Butler had time to turn and look. Went right thru his hands and hit him in the face, that's on him.

Butler had time to turn and look. Went right thru his hands and hit him in the face, that's on him.

My initial reaction was the same. It looked like Butler was anticipating a change up and got a fastball. An experienced WR may take into consideration that TH throws a higher velocity ball than DB/TB. Probably more of a repetition thing at this point between OB and WR. I have heard so many great things about Butler and his ability to catch. It just seemed that on that pass he looked like an UDFA and not the camp beast.

There's a part of me that likes the idea of having a different QB style than Drew Brees after his eventual departure. The 'pro' reasoning on this is that such a QB will be less likely to be compared to Drew's incredible passing stats and records. There will never be another Drew Brees. But obviously we will still need a guy who can move the offense down the field and put up the numbers that really count... those on the scoreboard. Taysom Hill may develop the skill set to do that consistently without relying on duplicating Drew-like stats.

Of course the real 'con' in this regard is that we have an offense built around having a pocket passer with a line to protect a guy in that role. As exciting as he is to watch on a big scramble, he will have to learn to avoid taking (and giving) the number of hits that he does, or he won't be anyone's QB for very long. I'm not sure how long Payton could deal with having his heart in his throat each time his starting QB takes off running.

I really liked what I saw from Hill, and am willing to give Bridgewater a pass for his play due to his playing rather ill.

I will say this... if as one of the announcers stated is true, and Payton really feels like Taysom could be the next Steve Young, then you can believe that Hill will be given every opportunity to prove it here, and Payton will do everything he can to keep Hill in New Orleans moving forward until he gets his chance.

I am really pulling for Hill because I really enjoy the exciting brand of Football that he brings to the table.

Another thing that I am excited about is seeing TCUDan posting between seasons in his own coaching career. :9:

I really liked what I saw from Hill, and am willing to give Bridgewater a pass for his play due to his playing rather ill.

I will say this... if as one of the announcers stated is true, and Payton really feels like Taysom could be the next Steve Young, then you can believe that Hill will be given every opportunity to prove it here, and Payton will do everything he can to keep Hill in New Orleans moving forward until he gets his chance.

I am really pulling for Hill because I really enjoy the exciting brand of Football that he brings to the table.

Another thing that I am excited about is seeing TCUDan posting between seasons in his own coaching career. :9:
Payton likes Hill, there's no doubt about that. For sure Sean is going to have to believe that Hill can pull off the same kind of performances that Young once did to put his own reputation as a great head coach on the line. Hill will have to prove he is no fluke. And I'm sure that he will be given the chance to show his stuff.

I've asked this before and I already know the logical answer is "no way," but Sean Payton is a true offensive genius. Is there any way SP could develop a 2 QB platoon system with Teddy and Hill?

I've asked this before and I already know the logical answer is "no way," but Sean Payton is a true offensive genius. Is there any way SP could develop a 2 QB platoon system with Teddy and Hill?
I think he could do it, but it is a lot harder for the fanbase to get behind unless there is instant success with our offense working in that mode.

As soon as we lose a game due to a poor performance by either guy, the fans will be screaming for the coach to sit that 'bum' in favor of the other guy full time. That's just how the fans work.

I got the impression that Butler just didn't locate the ball in flight, until too late. Hence straight through his hands to facemask.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom