Taysom Hill's performance last night (and how it compares to Bridgewater's) (1 Viewer)

Thank you for your analysis! The one thing I've noticed about Hill is that he still stares down a receiver, or at least one half of the field, more than he ought. I think running qbs are used to that idea--look at your first couple of options, then take off. He could stand to be more patient, I think, but he's getting better.

What we need is to fuse Taysom and Teddy into one being. Taysom’s athleticism and intangibles with Teddy’s intelligence.
Did you listen to Taysom in the post game dissecting the first TD pass? There is no doubt about his intellect. Payton on several occasions has praised Taysom's quick grasp of plays and concepts. He isn't just learning the play book from a QB's perspective. He has to learn and keep straight in his head the same plays for multiple positions. No easy task. I don't think he needs any help in the brain department. His college grades and degree also attest to his intellect.

I don’t doubt that Bridgewater has a better grasp of the offense. I’m just not sure that equates to being the better QB.

He played well against low level draft picks and UDFA's. I'm not excited. His TD to Carr was blown coverage and he can't run his way through a 16 game season. Watch his head movement. He can only read one side of the field at a time. When the ball is snapped he usually throws to the side he's reading. If he pulls the ball down he's pretty much running and not looking to throw. Those are things that when film study and game planning come into play he will get burned on. Personally, I thought his best throw was the one to Lil Jordan.

Bridgewater will always be, at best, a lesser version of Brees.

Taysom is something totally different. They can't be compared.

Post-Brees, I think we want something a little different. No one can live up to Brees.

And I think Peyton is intrigued with the challenge and versatility of Taysom versus just trying to find "the next Brees".

There is no "next Brees". Time to pivot.

(For what it's worth, I like Bridgewater and think he's an above average starter in the league.)

And you never know and I won't be surprised if Brees plays another three years. Neither of these two back ups will likely be the heir apparent. But it's great that it's an interesting competition to watch take place.

Many people don't realize, including me until recently, that it's just Taysom's 3rd NFL season, wheras it's Teddy's 5th. I think that's worth noting. I think there's still room for both to grow, but at this moment I think Taysom gives you the best shot at winning, if needed, and I think his quickness and dual threat ability give him the edge. Looking to see how Teddy bounces back from yesterday's awful performance. The coaches obviously see potential in him, and I'm willing to let one bad game slide due to sickness.
It's pre-season man

It's pre-season man

If we were simply talking about 2 rookie QBs who've never had live action during the regular season, I could see your point, but that's not the case. We've been comparing the two for the past year, and there's simply more to go off of at this point than just a couple preseason games, although they do give an indication of how each could run the offense. I'm not crowning anyone, I promise. I'm simply saying, at this point in time I feel like Taysom would more effectively lead us to victory if the need arose. That's just my opinion.

Not just from this past game but from everyone each has played for us.. Give me Taysom. His fire and energy alone gets his teammates behind him. It's contagious. Does he have more to learn? Absolutely.. But so does teddy

I think teddy is ok.. But in my opinion he's a game manager (and not a very exciting one) that might be able to get a team far ala Trent dilfer. His decisions aren't great.. Maybe avg. Honestly, I was hoping he'd play well so we could trade him. And he didn't do that. He even pulled a cam (I know it's preseason) and backed away from the fumble instead of going after it. Taysom would've been in the middle of it fighting for the ball. That fight, heart, and desire is what our next qb has to have in my opinion.

If SP truly, honestly believes this player could be the next Steve Young, then we should be making full effort to groom him as the next QB. Like all effort should be dedicated to that. I mean, you're comparing this guy to a Hall of Fame QB.

2 things....

1st - I agree with the OP... and way too early to declare anyone the next heir... and I like both of the possibilities.

2nd - fantastic to see TCUDan back posting! Miss your input and analysis brother. Hope things are going great in your "other" coaching hobby. ?

I hate even thinking this but if we get into a game where we get shut down offensively I'd love to see what TH could do with the ball running capabilities he has. Its almost like another running back to account for

Like everyone on here (it appears) I was extremely pleased with Taysom Hill's performance last night. And before we even get into the technical aspects, the first thing that always stands out about him when he's on the field is his mental/physical toughness and what a competitor he is. He brings those key intangibles to the table not just as a QB but as a football player.

From a coaching perspective, what I enjoyed seeing was the level of improvement his QB play has undergone since last year.
--He has really improved his pocket presence, his progressions, and his timing and ball placement down the field.
--He managed each drive very well and followed the old adage of 'taking what the defense gave him,' throwing away from the conflict defender and checking down when his progressions dictated.
--His placement on the wheel route to Austin Carr on the TD, for example, showed how he has matured as a passer, as the ball was delivered on time and placed properly vs. a cover 2 shell (he delivered a 2-ball to the hole between the flat defender and deep half player, whereas in the past I think he's still trying to touch that ball over the top to the back pylon in that situation).
--He is standing tall on the balls of his feet with his eyes down the field in his drop backs, and he is going through full-field progressions. And he has a really nice delivery.
--His improved pocket presence means that he is using his legs more as a weapon in his arsenal, rather than his primary method of making plays. This makes him exponentially more dangerous if and when he needs to play as an every down QB rather than a gadget player.

His performance was overwhelmingly positive, but as I think it is an emotional reaction to anoint him as the clear #2 QB over Bridgewater:
--From what I could see, Bridgewater appeared to be trusted with more command of the offense during his snaps than Hill. He was making more checks at the line, using more motions and shifts, and commanding a larger pie of the system.
--For example, I did not see Hill running any quick game or timing/spacing plays. This is a centerpiece of the Saints' offense. Along with the checks, audibles, and formationing (shifts and motions), this is what the Saints use to dictate tempo to a defense, establish a
rhythm, and open up the other aspects of their game.
--Every pass play that Hill ran was either play-action or true drop back. As I said, he performed very well on these plays, made good decisions, and I think only had 2 negative plays (the two sacks).
--But being an NFL QB for 60+ snaps a game requires a lot more. It is hard to quantify in percentages how much of the offense was actually used when Hill was in there (I am not only talking about play variation, but the level of freedom he was given presnap to make decisions and put the offense in the correct position), but it was clearly less than what Bridgewater was given.
--So while it appeared that Bridgewater played less efficiently or made more mistakes, he was asked to essentially run the offense as Brees runs it... as most starting NFL QBs run it. So I think it is a little premature to compare the play of the two QBs, especially once you factor in the nature of preseason football (the level of schematic challenge they are actually receiving from the opposing defense).

Personally speaking--strictly on an aesthetic level (if that phrase can be applied here lol)--I prefer Taysom Hill. I love his physical skills, his toughness, and I do expect more from Bridgewater at this point, given his QB pedigree... and he has a really funky release that I think leads to some bad ball placement. And I want to reiterate that Hill did EXACTLY what he was asked to do last night, and that is all a player can do. Pointing out these aforementioned differences is not a negative review of him, I give him a solid A for his performance last night whereas I would give Bridgewater a B-/C+.

However, as a coach, I can appreciate the fact that Taysom Hill is probably still a gadget player in the mind of the coaches. I am not saying he shouldn't be given the chance to be the heir to Brees... or even that he isn't being considered as such. But watching the 2 halves of the game last night, it was clear who was being asked to command more of the Saints' offense, and that was Bridgewater. And I am sure there is a reason for that.

Good Read. It was recommended to me.

I have not read the whole thread so my point may already have been made but that difference in the command depth you saw may say more about the players around Taysom than Taysom. You would not expect players who have only a couple of weeks in training camp to have mastered the Saints playbook. Too many line audibles and formation changes might cause more harm than good for the new guys. In addition Taysom has two seasons of experience inside the Saints offensive system. Teddy has only one, so I would be surprised if Hill's command of the playbook was dramatically inferior. Just my two cents. One of the post game interviews alluded to the fact that these are evaluations and the coaches are keeping it simple and not trying to trick (I think he meant confuse) any of the new guys.

Making predictions based on these two games would be almost silly if it wasn't so much fun. We are at the take it with a grain of salt stage right now.

Good Read. It was recommended to me.

I have not read the whole thread so my point may already have been made but that difference in the command depth you saw may say more about the players around Taysom than Taysom. You would not expect players who have only a couple of weeks in training camp to have mastered the Saints playbook. Too many line audibles and formation changes might cause more harm than good for the new guys. In addition Taysom has two seasons of experience inside the Saints offensive system. Teddy has only one, so I would be surprised if Hill's command of the playbook was dramatically inferior. Just my two cents. One of the post game interviews alluded to the fact that these are evaluations and the coaches are keeping it simple and not trying to trick (I think he meant confuse) any of the new guys.

Making predictions based on these two games would be almost silly if it wasn't so much fun. We are at the take it with a grain of salt stage right now.
What you have to remember, and Hill eluded to it in a local interview a week or so ago, is he spends less than half his time in the QB meeting room. He’s in the special teams meetings, and joins the RBs and WRs in meetings also.
During the training camp I went to, he spent 45 min doing special teams drills while Brees and Teddy were throwing.
I believe he knows the playbook, but just hasn’t had the time to get all the reps, both mental and physical because he is spread so thin focusing on what his main job will be during the regular season, at least for this year.

What you have to remember, and Hill eluded to it in a local interview a week or so ago, is he spends less than half his time in the QB meeting room. He’s in the special teams meetings, and joins the RBs and WRs in meetings also.
During the training camp I went to, he spent 45 min doing special teams drills while Brees and Teddy were throwing.
I believe he knows the playbook, but just hasn’t had the time to get all the reps, both mental and physical because he is spread so thin focusing on what his main job will be during the regular season, at least for this year.

That's incredibly impressive when you think about it.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom