Article Taysom Hill's versatility is unlike anyone in the NFL today (1 Viewer)

insidejob

Respect existence or expect resistance.
Approved Blogger
Reaction score

METAIRIE, La. — There’s only four weeks left in the 2019 NFL season, but there’s still plenty to sort out.

Is Lamar Jackson or Russell Wilson the MVP?

Is
Tom Brady’s cyborg chip malfunctioning?

Is this the season
Jerry Jones will mercifully put Jason Garrett out of his coaching misery in Dallas?

However, there’s at least one thing that’s settled, now that we’re 13 weeks in. And it’s this indisputable, unassailable fact:

The most versatile player in the NFL is a 29-year-old, third-string quarterback who went undrafted in 2017.

If you ask New Orleans Saints coach Sean Payton, he might tell you that the player, Taysom Hill, may be the next Steve Young.

Not that Payton has ever bothered to tell the third-year pro that himself.

“I don’t know that Sean and I have ever really specifically talked about it,” Hill told Yahoo Sports on Thursday. “But I know it’s been said.”

Indeed. Payton hinted at the comparison while speaking to CBS’s broadcast team during the preseason, and lavished more praise upon Hill after his sterling Thanksgiving performance in the Saints’ 26-18 win over the Falcons.

“Listen, he’s just a football player,” Payton said. “He’s neat to coach, he can play a number of different positions. There aren’t many guys like him.”

Opponents have taken notice. San Francisco 49ers coach Kyle Shanahan — whose team will square off against the Saints on Sunday in a critical NFC battle of two 10-2 teams — called Hill an “unbelievable” player on special teams, while 49ers defensive coordinator Robert Saleh told the media Thursday how important it is for his players to know where he is.

It makes sense because football players like Hill don’t exactly grow on trees. He’s a 6-foot-2, 220-pound quarterback with 4.5 speed (to run away from defenders), soft hands (to play receiver and tight end), enough power to play running back, and the instincts and toughness to star on special teams.

“[He’s] the first one I’ve coached like him,” Payton added.

Read the rest of the article - not really a long read. Of course, we all know this, but it's nice to see him getting this kind of recognition on a national stage. There's no way we're letting this guy get away. Especially when you read how he's literally copied Brees's routine this year.

WHO DAT!

Bump because even though there's not much to discuss about this article, I think most Saints fans would appreciate reading it.

Although I will add this: What's truly amazing about Taysom Hill is that his career at BYU was littered with serious injuries but ever since coming to the Saints, I can't recall him ever missing a snap due to injury or ever seeing him on the injury report even.

see what pro trainers and working with Drew to learn how to take care of himself will do. Taysom is an Iron Man.

I was watching the Falcons game here in Maryland with a ravens fan. She was all about Jackson this and Jackson that. I told her after the punt block to watch this guy. When she saw him run the direct snap she said he looked like Jackson.

pro trainers and working with Drew to learn how to take care of himself
Yup. He said he's literally copied Drew's routine and I assume he means more than just watching film. I wouldn't be surprised if he copies it to the point of doing the same stretches, focuses on working out the same muscle groups, etc., that Drew does. I remember from Drew's book how he talked about changing his entire workout regimen after his shoulder injury to prevent something like that from ever happening again. And it's obviously worked, sans the thumb - but there's nothing you can do to prevent that kind of injury (except for maybe Michael Thomas's hand yoga, which Drew has probably started doing since his thumb has healed).

I wish they'd use him more as a receiver....especially this year
He certainly is effective when he is targeted. There's no denying that. I'm really wondering how much Payton has been holding back for the playoffs and games as big as this one. I have to believe that after not trying to acquire another WR, Payton has something up his sleeve.

I like reading the comments after the article. Seems like Packer fans are still bitter Mike McCarthy let him go. They all love him as much as we do.

The fact that a defensive coordinator has to spend extra time during the week worrying about a player that only played 17% of the offensive snaps this year means that Payton’s plan is already working. Mind games 101.

(1) I’d love to hear what John Madden would say about Taysom Hill. Not only would he try to adopt him, he’d probably also come up with some kind of annual award and only give it to Hill.

(2) I’d *really* like to see Hill kick an extra point towards the end of the season, in a done and over with type game. :LOL:

He was clocked @ 20+ mph, on his TD run.
Even if Ginn or Harris is faster, I wouldn't want the "slower" Hill coming @ me!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom