Taysom Should Start the Rest of the Way, but No More Excuses (1 Viewer)

My thing is this. You just backed up the Brinks truck and gave Taysom alot of money and lets say he continues to fail the rest of the season. Now what? I just hope the Saints can get a great draft position. That Roby trade is killing us right now, I can imagine if we traded for Brandin Cooks instead where we would be.

Yes, Taysom should start the remainder of the season but if he continues struggle with turnovers then there’s no reason not put Book out there to see what he brings to the table. What’s he going to do? Lose worse?

Well he's the last option. Winston (ir) Siemian (serviceable backup flamed out), Taysom Hill ( all that's left), you cant go back to Siemian after benching him you pretty much put it on Hill.

Understandable concerns putting a rookie out there with a depleted offensive unit, but if it’s managed properly, a series here and there to start out, it would get him valuable experience without the pressure of winning now. Depending on how he’s holding up, the workload could be expanded.

We don’t have a starting QB now, and playoff hopes have all but slipped away entirely, so taking a committee-like approach to the position could be the perfect way to begin getting Book acclimated, and gauging what they have in him heading into next year.

I’m less worried about Book’s mental toughness than I am his arm talent.

I tend to agree. I think Hill showed last night that he's a good backup QB but not a guy you want starting 17 games per season. And I think he's a good backup mostly because he can throw the ball enough to make it a legitimate threat while he uses his legs to move the offense. That's a nice option for a guy coming in to finish a game or a guy that plays a few games while your starter is hurt. It makes it hard for the defense to game plan against. So, if you let Taysom play his game as mostly a running QB for the rest of the season while giving Book a few series here and there (more if he proves to be capable) then I think you give the team the best chance a winning a few games to close out the year and giving Book the needed experience.

The only positive I can find with Taysom starting, which we knew all along, is that he can sustain drives with his legs. This gives the defense a chance to catch their breath, which is a pretty huge perk. In all reality, it's hard to believe we didn't lose by 50 points when you really think about it. We turned it over 4 times, as well as having a complete drive stolen from us. The defense played great, and that is thanks to not getting totally gassed like they would had we been going 3 and out repeatedly through the first 3 quarters.

Taysom is what he is, a subpar passer. He does bring an energy to him, but it's not with his arm, it's with his legs. If he could not turn over the ball like crazy, we'd have a chance with him. It's a problem that you can't overlook, though. For as many plays as he makes with his legs, he makes as many mistakes in the passing game. If he had the arm for the QB position, we win last night, but sadly he doesn't. I realize he had a hurt finger. I stick with my opinion, though. He is not a good passer. At this point, it doesn't hurt to let him keep playing and see if he can work out some of these issues, and like you said, prove once and for all what he is or isn't capable of.

Like I said in another thread, at this point it really doesn't matter who they play the rest of the season. But after this season I don't ever want to see Hill (or Siemian) play quarterback for the Saints ever again. We've seen enough.

Ive seen enough Taysom Time already. He does not give this team the best shot at winning. Siemian had 9td 3 int with the same wrs.

I think that's mostly because Siemian refuses to take chances which means he doesn't throw many interceptions, but he also doesn't move the offense because he throws the ball away too much and holds the ball too long. That would be fine if we have some playmakers on the field, but we don't right now. And, although Hill needs to stop turning the ball over, the offense did seem to move better with Hill on the field. Neither is a good option, but I do think Hill makes the offense move better and hopefully his decision making will get better with more playing time. Even if not, I think in this situation, his big plays are more important than how safe Siemian is.

In the end, I think the joker role and giving him plays as the Wildcat QB was the perfect position for Hill. He's just not a full time QB, but right now he still probably gives you the best chance to win a few games.

C’mon, when Taysom hurdled a defender no one was excited? He had a very bad night falling apart in the 4th while pressing hard. He still competed, perhaps with a broken finger. We were in this game gor a long time. At one point Taysom strapped us on his back and started bulldozing. I’m with OP, I’d like to see what he can do from here on out….to not carry this over to next year. I think Taysom needs it as bad as we do to figure out who he is.

My thing is this. You just backed up the Brinks truck and gave Taysom alot of money and lets say he continues to fail the rest of the season. Now what? I just hope the Saints can get a great draft position. That Roby trade is killing us right now, I can imagine if we traded for Brandin Cooks instead where we would be.

It's not like they paid Hill QB1 money or even close to it. They are going to pay him as a backup QB that is also valuable as a Wildcat QB and in the joker role. I think the contract was a little high, but Loomis knows the market better than I do, and they can get out of the contract in 2 years. Hill's deal isn't going to stop the team from doing anything.

As far as Cooks vs. Roby, I don't think it would have changed much and, if anything, it would make the defense worse. Adebo looks like he will be a very good CB, but he is still young and makes some major mistakes. If he was the full time #2 CB with no Roby, teams would be picking on him all game long.

Yes, we lost and some view it entirely on qb win or lose, it's team sport and qb is very dependant on the team around them.
It was notable, it looked like was ready more of the field, and offense moved the ball better than any other time this season. Although, I give t. Simean the edge for 4th qtr of games.
Maybe try Austin for 3qtrs and simean the 4th.
Regarding Parsons sack that was mentioned, have to rewatch but you have to have someone to throw it away near or it's intentional grounding. That one int try hat was going to stills, thought was dpi. All replays was showing was after that point in time. And 99percent time no way is that caught by that defender.
The one pick that you can't excuse in any way, was the one to d lineman.

If kamara played, game would've been totally different.

Well he's the last option. Winston (ir) Siemian (serviceable backup flamed out), Taysom Hill ( all that's left), you cant go back to Siemian after benching him you pretty much put it on Hill.
The finger is a potential problem for any QB. If his hand is messed up, defenses will just stack the box play zone. There is a running QB blueprint.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom