Taysom Should Start the Rest of the Way, but No More Excuses (1 Viewer)

No matter what QB the Saints put in, they will struggle due to the wide receivers we have. It also gets worse when both offensive tackles are out

Ian Book should start the rest of the way. The season is lost anyway. Why not see what the rookie can bring to the table? It might not actually be fair in evaluating him if many frontline offensive players are missing, but it will give him NFL game experience, which he will need as a backup next season and beyond.

And, for heaven's sake, resign Jameis Winston. Taysom Hill is an obvious non answer at QB. Or tank the rest of the season, and draft a QB high.

He definitely has flashes and his running ability is a big plus. I would still like to see him with a healthy offensive line and Alvin Kamara at least. Two of the interceptions were definitely on him and I’m not sure if the finger played a part. One of the interceptions was on Kenny stills and the other was on the offensive line where his arm got hit because he had about one second to throw it.
It was a SEVEN stop drop on that play. I can show you the video if you’d like. From the time he took the snap to release it was around 6 seconds

I knew there was a reason why he would throw into TRIPLE COVERAGE!!! That finger was making terrible decisions in the passing game and it caused him to hitch & pat the ball on every pass attempt making the delivery late.
Yeah, the finger was only part of the problem for him.

I knew there was a reason why he would throw into TRIPLE COVERAGE!!! That finger was making terrible decisions in the passing game and it caused him to hitch & pat the ball on every pass attempt making the delivery late.
When he threw that terrible pass across his body on the 1st possession, it was because he had a premonition that his finger would get hurt and it distracted him.

Here's the thing, Taysom is a good FOOTBALL player. That's a fact. I have always found the idea that Payton took a third string QB and elevated him to a contributor on a great team as some true next level coaching. Honestly. It was brilliant. What team got the run of contributions from a QB who wouldn't have lasted two weeks on their team's roster like we did?

So when Twitter and NFL fans started randomly getting mad that we used Taysom, I embraced it. It was and is hysterical to me.

"HOW DARE YOU GET THE MOST OUT OF YOUR PLAYERS?" is basically what it sounded(s) like.

The thing I can not defend is this belief he should be our full-time QB. No. He can't. I've argued all along Taysom's place in the game of football is as a "do-everything" guy/skill player. And there's NOTHING wrong with that. Not every path in life we set is the path that we are ultimately called upon. So I know Taysom has pride and wants to prove he can be a QB, and for whatever reason he did enough to convince Payton that this was a logical option but it's just not.

Taysom should be a full time skill player for us. It's the best option for his playing longevity (production wise, not injury wise) and it's the best for our team. Taysom is a great runner. There's no denying that. Go back to what we started him with. Put him at H Back. Put him at receiver. Put him at Tight End. The dude can make plays. He's a weapon. Use him as a weapon and not as a QB. I'm even ok with the wildcat play here and there, but under no circumstances starting next season should we keep up with this charade that Taysom is a QB option for us. We should have 2-3 QBs on gameday. Taysom should NOT be any of them. We need to put pride aside and tell him we're paying you now to be a skill player for us. All your workouts and team meetings will concentrate solely on that.

And the "bonus" of it will be that should we ever run into a Code Red situation where we suddenly have no QBs, THEN we can put Taysom in and still keep the game afloat.

But Payton is too good a playcaller to not be able to utilize Hill's strengths effectively and have him as a legitimate offensive weapon in the league. And opposing (and even local) fans will forever be triggered and irrationally mad at it, but if Taysom is contributing TD runs and big catches and even punt blocks and returns then who the hell cares.

So yeah, ride him out at QB this year because whatever, the season is lost. But next year, I really hope we stop trying to be sensitive about his feelings or even Payton's urge to tell everyone "I told you so" and put him as a full-time skill player.

I'd like to see the video, so please post it.
This is the play where he threw the pick from his arm making contact with the DL. 7 stop drop, 4 seconds or so from the snap to release.

I said 6 seconds the first time was a little off, but still a 7 step drop and then two steps up to launch position

Attachments

• FullSizeRender.mov
    16.7 MB
Last edited:
I agree Bonchie, Taysom has his downsides but he's a more dynamic quarterback than Trevor.

Reports are he tore a tendon on that finger though.

Even with a pretty bad performance yesterday outside of his rushing, Taysom Hill should start the rest of the way. It is time to put this thing to bed once and for all, whatever way it goes.

That means no more excuses. We should not go into next year with the idea that a hurt tip of the finger is the difference between good Taysom and him consistently throwing to WRs late and making really dumb decisions with the ball. Those are mental, not physical errors. His finger may have affected some throws, but it didn’t make him put the ball in Diggs’ gut twice.

To me, that’s the compromise. Let him start, see if he picks up the pace of his mental processing, and if he doesn’t, end this charade once and for all at QB. But under no circumstances should this continue into next year unless he unequivocally shows he’s an elite QB.

And as an aside. His injury woes are not an endorsement either. He got hurt last year when his snaps increased. He’s been hurt multiple times this year. At some point, that matters in the evaluation.
Based on recent reports of him tearing a tendon but planning to play through it, it looks like you won't get your wish. If he starts the rest of the way, people will absolutely make excuses for him even he averages 2-3 INT a game and we go 1-4 or 0-5.

ill be livid if they dont let Book start this year a few games. maybe they think they still have some kind of postseason shot and let Trevor get a couple more, i hope they dont, they really need to see how book handles season games, to see if hes viable in any way

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom