Taysom's Saturday night tweet (1 Viewer)

Context is everything.

But saying that, people can still draw any conclusion they choose. After all, I saw that someone wrote an article steadfastly stating this (Taysom start) was racism 🤔😨
I really do wish our two QBs were the opposite color. From the moment this decision was made I worried that this would be treated as an act of racism. As a Caucasian man I was happy as a lark when Sean made the choice to put Winston in the game when Drew said he couldn't perform in the second half. I really want to see Jameis succeed. And when he does succeed, I want it to be in a Saints uniform. Yes, I saw some areas of his two-quarter performance that needed some improvement, but I didn't expect that he would be flawless going into such a difficult situation. The entire team got a chance to review the game video together and the coaches obviously added the game data to the long list of information they've seen from these two players during their practice sessions and team meetings.

Thus it is imperative for the author of that article to keep in mind that the Saints paid Taysom Hill the kind of money you don't normally equate with special teams or gadget players. It's no secret that Sean has been trying to groom Hill to be a legitimate starting QB on this team. No, I'm not crazy about everything I've seen from Taysom as a passing QB so far. But it's not like he has been able to play continuously enough to get into the kind of flow/rhythm that allows for a lot of progress in that regard. However, no one can argue that Taysom is more familiar with Coach Payton's offense and thus can be called on to use a greater number of plays & schemes... much closer to what Sean might normally give Brees to perform in a game.

No one wanted either Taysom Hill or Jameis Winston to be the starting QB for any of our games this year, because such a thing could likely only have happened due to an injury to Drew Brees. But to publicly assert that our coaching staff picked Hill to be our starter this week because they suddenly realized that he is white is as racist as what that author is accusing others of doing. Yes, I know this is what journalism has become these days. But how much more professional (and useful) it would have been for this writer to use his (<-assumption) article to note the facts that pertain to how the Saints have been planning to use Taysom Hill (eventually) all along. Whether good or bad, everyone will soon discover what we really have in Taysom Hill. And the fact is that Hill may not turn out to be as good as the coaching staff had hoped. However, finding this out now would be as good a time as ever because it could/should affect the picks & decisions we have to make in the offseason.

But everyone has to admit that Taysom has been much more prepared for this Saints starting job at this moment than any other player on our roster. If he fails miserably, I believe with all my heart that the player chosen to replace him will be based on that player's abilities, and not the color of his skin. I don't know the Saints players or how they personally feel about having Taysom under center, but as I sit and type this reply I can't help but to wish two things were true right now... that Hill's teammates are all in on his being our starter today... and that he wasn't white.

I really do wish our two QBs were the opposite color. From the moment this decision was made I worried that this would be treated as an act of racism. As a Caucasian man I was happy as a lark when Sean made the choice to put Winston in the game when Drew said he couldn't perform in the second half. I really want to see Jameis succeed. And when he does succeed, I want it to be in a Saints uniform. Yes, I saw some areas of his two-quarter performance that needed some improvement, but I didn't expect that he would be flawless going into such a difficult situation. The entire team got a chance to review the game video together and the coaches obviously added the game data to the long list of information they've seen from these two players during their practice sessions and team meetings.

Thus it is imperative for the author of that article to keep in mind that the Saints paid Taysom Hill the kind of money you don't normally equate with special teams or gadget players. It's no secret that Sean has been trying to groom Hill to be a legitimate starting QB on this team. No, I'm not crazy about everything I've seen from Taysom as a passing QB so far. But it's not like he has been able to play continuously enough to get into the kind of flow/rhythm that allows for a lot of progress in that regard. However, no one can argue that Taysom is more familiar with Coach Payton's offense and thus can be called on to use a greater number of plays & schemes... much closer to what Sean might normally give Brees to perform in a game.

No one wanted either Taysom Hill or Jameis Winston to be the starting QB for any of our games this year, because such a thing could likely only have happened due to an injury to Drew Brees. But to publicly assert that our coaching staff picked Hill to be our starter this week because they suddenly realized that he is white is as racist as what that author is accusing others of doing. Yes, I know this is what journalism has become these days. But how much more professional (and useful) it would have been for this writer to use his (<-assumption) article to note the facts that pertain to how the Saints have been planning to use Taysom Hill (eventually) all along. Whether good or bad, everyone will soon discover what we really have in Taysom Hill. And the fact is that Hill may not turn out to be as good as the coaching staff had hoped. However, finding this out now would be as good a time as ever because it could/should affect the picks & decisions we have to make in the offseason.

But everyone has to admit that Taysom has been much more prepared for this Saints starting job at this moment than any other player on our roster. If he fails miserably, I believe with all my heart that the player chosen to replace him will be based on that player's abilities, and not the color of his skin. I don't know the Saints players or how they personally feel about having Taysom under center, but as I sit and type this reply I can't help but to wish two things were true right now... that Hill's teammates are all in on his being our starter today... and that he wasn't white.

I hear you Bill, and I appreciate your honesty and candor. But here’s my take:

Why does the amount of an athlete’s melanin in their skin have to be in the discussion?

If a player can ball, they can ball. Doug Williams was a backup QB with an 0-2 record in the 1987 regular season (...yes, that same season the Saints made the playoffs for the first time).

In SB XII, Williams had a terrible start, and the ‘Skins fell behind 0-10. But from the 2nd qtr and beyond, it was all Washington. He set a SB record with 4TD’s in the 2nd quarter and his team led 35-10 at halftime. Williams was named SB XXII MVP.

Doug Williams’ performance changes the hearts and minds of many, and opened the door for many QB’s of color in the future. It was so much so that today nobody gives a rat’s 🐀 arse in the year 2020.

If an athlete can ball... they get the job. Anyone who cites race as a factor is disillusioned, racially biased or on crack.

JMO

:gosaints:

Last edited:
We've seen QB's throw passes that get batted and they catch it and run for a yard or two. It would be so fitting if that happens but TH runs it in for a TD. First ever to catch their own TD pass.

Bobby Hebert had bruised ribs and said he was the first EVER QB, to wear a newly protective piece of equipment we all know; the flack jacket. Bobby said having bruised ribs, was the most painfully and awkwardly feeling injury, he ever had. They hurt when he would breath, when he would try to lay/sleep a certain way. But he said to sneeze, forget about it! He would hold off on sneezing by pinching the skin just below his nose and his mouth...😂.

I know what bruised ribs are all about and have felt Bobby’s pain. I fell perfectly on a football, diving and catching the ball, then landing on top of the ball. I experienced all of what Bobby said. The only thing the doctor could do for me, was to prescribe some pain meds and told me to wrap my torso as tight as I could stand it with some ace bandages! The thing that scared me was, the doctor told me I was lucky I did not rupture my spleen, as I could have bled to death, from internal hemorrhaging. I was only 15 when this happened and it scared the poop out of me.

Anyway, to comprehend what Drew is going thru at 41 years old, is really hard to imagine. 11 FRACTURED RIBS, WITH A PUNCTURED LUNG? He has to be one of the toughest SOB’s known to have played NFL football! And he did not get the 11 fractured ribs, on that sack by the Niners. He had some (many), prior to that sack. I think he suffered most of them, on a dive over the top of the LOS for the TD against the Chargers. He scored, but then fell off and back to his left, landing hard on his side/torso. It looked very awkward at the time and you could see he was feeling some pain from the fall. If that is when he fractured a majority of his ribs, I cannot believe he was able to continue to play the following games, leading up to and playing against the Niners. Simply unimaginable.

I also had bruised ribs and tried to play in a game with them. At the first hit I was out and yes I experienced all of the symptoms (sneezing was awful!) that you and Bobby did. That said, the fact that Brees not only played with broken ribs and a punctured lung - but also did well...simply blows my mind. Just when I thought I couldn't have any more respect for this guy then I already did he goes and raises it up a notch. My all-time favorite NFL player...PERIOD.

I think I'll wait and see what he bring to the table once the bright lights shine on him as a starting QB. Good Luck! GO SAINTS! :happy0005:

Racism? Interesting. I guess that is all I have to say.
I'd call it ridiculous. Particularly as someone pointed out we happily started Teddy last year when Brees went down. It's all about ability.

Last edited:
This is greatness!
I know! I love it! I'm glad people are seeing it on this thread, I didn't want to make ANOTHER thread to put it in but I knew people would love it! Good job on NFL Memes.

Well said. It's just continually amazing to me how two or more people can see the same data and inevitably leap to entirely different conclusions.

I would like to put some context into his tweet the night before the game. I am a member of the same church as TH, and the Prophet/President of our church came out with a message encouraging us to use social media to promote positivity throughout social media and to try to overwhelm all the negativity on social media with a wave of positivity. He asked us to use the hastag #givethanks and use social media to promote the things we are grateful for for 7 days. Saturday was the start of it.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom