TB spiking the ball on 3rd down play ? (1 Viewer)

This play has me shaking my head and I have not seen any reporters question or talk about it. On the series that had about three Offensive penalties in a row and backed the saints into 3rd and 26 or so, the saints attempted to dump the ball off to Kamara and let him get what he could. The rams were not fooled, and the Kamara was bottled up at the line. TB spiked the ball to kill the play and walked off. No effort was made to make something out of a broken play by looking downfield for another option or scrambling out of the pocket to extend the play.

This is a concern for me and it makes me wonder if the whole team pretty much gave up by that point in the game. It third down, if your primary receiver is gone then you launch it and at least give yourself a chance, right? This play is more about the mindset of the team displayed than anything at this point. At what point in the game did they quit?
Would you have preferred it if he forced a pass and get it possibly picked off of fumbled for an easy score? As for him walking off, the play was over and no need for him to stay on the field.

The throw to the ground was a busted screen pass. If he tries to look downfield he will have an ineligible downfield and get a penalty anyway. Lineman release downfield si nothing else to do.
True. And also, because the lineman have released, the quaterback will get pummeled if he holds onto the ball.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom