TE LB DRAFT... interesting fact (1 Viewer)

Reaction score
So i've seen a few threads saying that we need to sign Tony Gonzales as a FA. Well Guess what?

1997 NFL DRAFT:

10 New Orleans Saints Chris Naeole

13 Kansas City Chiefs Tony Gonzalez

How about this one...

2002 NFL Draft:

13 New Orleans Saints Donte' Stallworth

14 New York Giants Jeremy Shockey

Our LB Problem...

The famous Ditka 1999 NFL Draft:

5 New Orleans Saints Ricky Williams (to Redskins for 2000 pick)

2000 NFL Draft:

2 Washington Redskins LaVar Arrington (Saints pick)

That's some big time draft mistakes in my opinion. I'm not even gonna put 1996's draft when Ray Lewis slipped to 25th cause so many teams passed him up (we selected Molden with the 11th). However, I'll admit I was excited when we first picked Stallworth cause it seemed we finally picked a playmaker. But it sucks to know we could have had those guys if we just had the right people making our draft decisions.

Last edited:
So i've seen a few threads saying that we need to sign Tony Gonzales as a FA. Well Guess what?

1997 NFL DRAFT:

10 New Orleans Saints Chris Naeole

13 Kansas City Chiefs Tony Gonzalez

How about this one...

2002 NFL Draft:

13 New Orleans Saints Donte' Stallworth

14 New York Giants Jeremy Shockey

Our LB Problem...

The famous Ditka 1999 NFL Draft:

5 New Orleans Saints Ricky Williams (to Redskins for 2000 pick)

2000 NFL Draft:

2 Washington Redskins LaVar Arrington (Saints pick)

That's some big time draft mistakes in my opinion. I'm not even gonna put 1996's draft when Ray Lewis slipped to 25th cause so many teams passed him up (we selected Molden with the 11th). However, I'll admit I was excited when we first picked Stallworth cause it seemed we finally picked a playmaker. But it sucks to know we could have had those guys if we just had the right people making our draft decisions.

What it shows is that you never know how someone's going to make the transition from college to the pros. Molden was a good college cb that couldn't. Then you look at someone like Colston who could, or some of the undrafted free-agents that became starters, like Sammy Knight.

Who knows. If Ray Lewis was drafted by the Cards, would he be as good, or would we even know his name?

That 1996 draft had us passing on a lot of good players.

Eddie George
Marvin Harrison
Eric Moulds
Ray Lewis

1998 draft we took Kyle Turley and passed up

Fred Taylor
Keith Brooking
Takeo Spikes
Randy Moss

Lets just leave it at the fact we have made some mistakes in the draft.....look on the bright side...at least we didn't pick Ryan Leaf:D

I liked Dillon in '97. We would've been spared that hopelessly stupid Rickey deal. I was also excited about Donte.

The Turley pick was a good pick. IMHO

I can say that I was really upset when we drafted molden over george and when we traded two firsts to move up just to take Sullivan. Probably the worst was drafting Naeole in the top 10. I would never take a guard in the top 20....And I believe Naeole was projected to go early second at best. Hell he was asleep when he was drafted.....But you really can't look back now and say we should've taken this guy or that guy. No team hits on every 1st round pick for 10 years. Fans on every board say they should've drafted this guy or that guy 3-5 years later. I don't know how many first round picks actually live up to their potential each year, but I'd be willing to bet it's 50% or less.

Eddie George is one of the most overrated players in recent memory. He only averaged over 4 yards/carry for two seasons in his entire career! His career yard per carry average was only 3.6. Compare with Deuce who has only averaged below 4.0 yards/carry for one season. That was last year.

Believe me, I wish we had drafted somebody besides Molden -- just not Eddie George.

Eddie George is one of the most overrated players in recent memory. He only averaged over 4 yards/carry for two seasons in his entire career! His career yard per carry average was only 3.6. Compare with Deuce who has only averaged below 4.0 yards/carry for one season. That was last year.

Believe me, I wish we had drafted somebody besides Molden -- just not Eddie George.

I like Deuce better than George myself. But George had alot of wear and tear on his body. He carried the ball about 700 more times than Deuce in his first 5 years in the league. I say I'd rather have had Eddie than Molden now....not because of what Eddie has done, but because that's what I said 10 years ago. But I'd still take him over Molden. Call it overrated if you want, but the guy played running back for 9 years and had 7 1,000 yard seasons. He carried the ball over 300 times 8 of the 9 seasons...including a 400 carry season. He played in all 16 games for 8 straight years. That doesn't happen very often for running backs these days.

Remember if anthing in the past had cahnged, we would not have Payton, Brees, and Bush. I like our future can live with what happend 8-10 years ago for our next 5 years.

Turley good pick, eddie george over rated, we havent done bad, so we didn't get the best pick , no one did

Basically, you can say that we should've picked anyone who was picked by another team. How many message boards are crying because their team didn't pick Colston? Hindsight is 20/20, with a slight astigmatism.

Basically, you can say that we should've picked anyone who was picked by another team. How many message boards are crying because their team didn't pick Colston? Hindsight is 20/20, with a slight astigmatism.

NO, I said in the thread that alot of people have been saying we need to sign Tony Gonzales as a free agent this year. I find it ironic that we could have drafted him that's all. I then did some more looking up and found it interesting that Shockey came 1 pick after Stallworth. The Redskins pick isn't even second guessing it was just stupid that we traded a whole draft for 1 player.

Colston would be a first round pick if teams had a do-over. These guys were within 3 picks of our picks. That's why i kept this to TE's who were picked right after one of our picks solely. Any numnut could look at every draft after it happened and said we should have had this player. I did this cause there are many threads saying "We need a TE" and "Let's sign Tony as a FA". I'm not second guessing cause i don't even care if we sign Tony... aka "interesting fact" thread. I was doing this to amuse all those Tony lovers.

As long as SP is our head coach, I am not worried about bad moves when it comes to draft decisions. His first draft, almost all of the players we drafted have looked great.

i think we should talk glen "big baby" davis, into playing football, i kno he dropped alot weight but we could throw the guy in there and he should be an effective TE.......ok so i put the dobbie down....but hey u neva kno...SP might look at a former basketball player......so i dont really like the bringin in of tony G, but i think we will hafta pay alot more than what he would be worth and i think spending the money is better suited for taking a Better shot at nate clements in FA

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom