Teacher Beheaded in France for Showing Class Picture of Muhammad (1 Viewer)

How many people have died because of religion?

There's tons of people that don't believe in nor support organized religion (i.e., Americans) that use it to demonize others, but I digress.

I think the concept of "faith" has been twisted and turned in so many ways that it makes a lot of folks believe it is a license to do so...but I digress as well....

There's tons of people that don't believe in nor support organized religion (i.e., Americans) that use it to demonize others, but I digress.

There are also tons of people who are religious who don't use their religion as an excuse to demonize, hate or kill people. As with most things, can be used to help or used to hurt.

The problem has never been with religion, but rather with people.

There are also tons of people who are religious who don't use their religion as an excuse to demonize, hate or kill people. As with most things, can be used to help or used to hurt.

The problem has never been with religion, but rather with people.

That's sort of my point. Religion is the scapegoat for all manner of atrocities, yes. Rajncajn's post only tells one side of the story.

And the good that religions do, Jewish, Islamic, Christian or otherwise, is not being challenged here.

Organized religion is an easy target. Much of that is their own fault, but it's not the concept that is flawed, it's how easily corrupted and bastageized it is, even when there are good intentions at the heart. For that I can't fault the faith, but rather the individuals or groups who would use it to advance hateful ideals.

That's pretty much the same thing as what I said, but I agree.

On no, it isn't. There's a huge difference. People can use religion to justify doing an evil act, like beheading someone. Very true. But then you have people that hate people that conform to a certain religion simply because they believe in that religion. Those aren't similar. To borrow from Dave, religion can do a lot of good, but people may blindly hate all Muslims, even when most believers use their religion for good.

How many people have used religion as an excuse for doing evil things?

Using it as an excuse implies that the people doing the things one'd consider evil don't believe in the religion's doctrine. But when they believe they are doing the deed in the name of God, religion is not an excuse, it is the cause. And the doctrines of Abrahamic religions are full of violence.

Using it as an excuse implies that the people doing the things one'd consider evil don't believe in the religion's doctrine. But when they believe they are doing the deed in the name of God, religion is not an excuse, it is the cause. And the doctrines of Abrahamic religions are full of violence.

No it's not the cause. But, that's another discussion for another board.

This post made me realize we need a new emoji option, :unsure:. I see where this is true but also see where the lines are blurred. I use American Christians, because, I more familiar with the actions of American Christians than any other group. Does a Christian baker believe in a cause when they deny service (baking a wedding cake for example) for a gay couple or is it an excuse to deny service?

No it's not the cause. But, that's another discussion for another board.
On the contrary, it is a discussion for this very thread; what better example than the story in the OP.

On side note, why are you afraid of debating your point? "No, it is not, but I don't want to discuss it" isn't really an argument, it is merely an objection without explanation; and this happens every time you reply to posts I make about religion.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom