Teacher Beheaded in France for Showing Class Picture of Muhammad (2 Viewers)

I dont see any articles from the Jewish, Budda, Christian, indian or even asian religions, where an individual will depict a picture of their god that results in someones death.

That is true, but if you look, you'll find acts around all religions that cause someone's death, just for different reasons and in different forms, like bride burning in India, which is rooted in Hinduism and the caste system, or (even though it mostly stopped after WWII, still not that long ago, and Shinto is kind of making a comeback) ritualistic suicide in old Japan for what we would consider the silliest of things, like the emperor, considered a god under Shinto, ordering you to kill yourself because you looked funny at him , or even because you looked at him.

Last edited:
I dont see any articles from the Jewish, Budda, Christian, indian or even asian religions, where an individual will depict a picture of their god that results in someones death.
i'm sure 2884 will weigh in, but my anecdotal understanding is that monotheisms and much more deadly than polytheisms
that being offered
Palestinians are unimpressed with your understanding of the Knesset hiding behind the ultra-orthodox for land and water grabs
policies backed by US evangelicals have been MUCH more deadly both domestically and internationally than spasmodic jihad attacks (which are brutal, stupid, chauvinistic and horrid)
Confuscionism has a ...colorful history

but again, the problem does not lie in a book - it lies - as always - in power opportunists exploited the weak-minded via the magic book for exploitative purposes

for forks sake. is there anything in this world we can actually fix or prevent? if i show a picture of my junk, i get jail time, probably just a fine.

if i show a picture, of a "god" (using quotations since i don't know his actual status) to one of the world's largest religions, it is a death sentence in waiting?

in that case free wang pics!

i'm sure 2884 will weigh in, but my anecdotal understanding is that monotheisms and much more deadly than polytheisms
that being offered
Palestinians are unimpressed with your understanding of the Knesset hiding behind the ultra-orthodox for land and water grabs
policies backed by US evangelicals have been MUCH more deadly both domestically and internationally than spasmodic jihad attacks (which are brutal, stupid, chauvinistic and horrid)
Confuscionism has a ...colorful history

but again, the problem does not lie in a book - it lies - as always - in power opportunists exploited the weak-minded via the magic book for exploitative purposes
Well, the ancient Phoenicians and Carthaginians did regularly practice human sacrifice to appease their two main deities, Baal and Asheroth and for those practices in that context, many Greco-Roman historians, intellectuals and playwrights wrote very disparaging, critical yet mostly historically verified things about this practice, which they rightly found barbaric, as well as sloth, excessive drunkenness, and cannibalism.
The ancient Germanic Iron Age tribes performed human sacrifices sometimes on captured POWS or Roman legionaries or generals usually en masse in cages burned alive or individually on altars. This certainly was recorded as happening after Varus major defeat and wiping out of 3 Roman legions at Teutoburger Wald battle of 9 C.E. by Tacitus in his Germania or Annals.

The ancient Druids of Briton and Gaul did perform the same human sacrifice rituals not as often as some Roman historians accused them of doing or being as bloodthirsty about it, but in times of severe droughts, tribal or worse foreign Roman invasion, when the social/political fabric became a bit fractured, they'd sacrifice wealthy landowners as well as poor farmers or peasants if the Druid priests told them their sacrifices would satisfactorily please their gods.

Old Norse Vikings sacrificed 9 out of very animal found species, including humans, every 9 years at Uppsala, an outdoor, major mass religious gathering for numerous, regional Viking clans, jarls, kings, or leaders from all over Scandinavia. Uppsala is located in modern-day Sweden and the way the actual temple or religious festivities depicted in Season One of The Vikings isn't very historically accurate, but it tries at least.

Most people on SR have at least a cursory understanding of how Aztecs and Mayans performed human sacrifices sometimes on an extreme, industrial scale from the tops of their pyramids in central/southern Mexico, or Yucatan/Belize or Guatemala .

Honestly, Guido, I like you as a poster, I really do but man as annoying and pestering as Southern Baptists or evangelical Christian right can be, their not nearly as bad as let's say countries like Iran or Saudi Arabia where strict, puritanical Islamist regimes run those countries like medieval theocracies. In Iran, a woman can be fined or arrested for not wearing a veil , hijab over her face. Women couldn't drive or have driver's licenses in Saudi Arabia or even being able to vote until recently. In both countries, women can't leave their homes unless accompanied by a male relative or friend or walk together in large groups together to public places.
Sharia law makes a lot of what me or you accuse religious right seem tame by comparison. And it's not just in Iran or Saudi Arabia, in Lebanon, Hezbollah is taking more and more of a leading force in parliamentary politics there and are trying to install similar Iranian-styled strict Islamist customs. Even in relatively secular Muslim ME countries, Muslim clerics have a very powerful, influential voice sometimes when it comes to domestic government policies that secular politicians have to take very seriously.

In terms of the long, complex and very violent history of the founding of Isreal, most leading European Zionists and even some major ones now, were staunch atheists, who embraced their cultural and linguistic Jewish ideals and if I'm being completely honest, guido, there never would've been a need for a Jewish, Zionist state if Jewish communities, intellectuals, assimilated into most European nations or countries had not been the convenient, often vicious targets of blood libels, papal inquisitions, being accused and cursed for killing Christ, being labeled as racially and genetically inferior by German nationalists, extreme Social Darwinists, victims of Russian Czarist pogroms and forced periodically to resettle in different regions of the empire.

Centuries of European antisemitism created Zionism.

Last edited:
Well, the ancient Phoenicians and Carthaginians did regularly practice human sacrifice to appease their two main deities, Baal and Asheroth and for those practices in that context, many Greco-Roman historians, intellectuals and playwrights wrote very disparaging, critical yet mostly historically verified things about this practice, which they rightly found barbaric, as well as sloth, excessive drunkenness, and cannibalism.
The ancient Germanic Iron Age tribes performed human sacrifices sometimes on captured POWS or Roman legionaries or generals usually en masse in cages burned alive or individually on altars. This certainly was recorded as happening after Varus major defeat and wiping out of 3 Roman legions at Teutoburger Wald battle of 9 C.E. by Tacitus in his Germania or Annals.

The ancient Druids of Briton and Gaul did perform the same human sacrifice rituals not as often as some Roman historians accused them of doing or being as bloodthirsty about it, but in times of severe droughts, tribal or worse foreign Roman invasion, when the social/political fabric became a bit fractured, they'd sacrifice wealthy landowners as well as poor farmers or peasants if the Druid priests told them their sacrifices would satisfactorily please their gods.

Old Norse Vikings sacrificed 9 out of very animal found species, including humans, every 9 years at Uppsala, an outdoor, major mass religious gathering for numerous, regional Viking clans, jarls, kings, or leaders from all over Scandinavia. Uppsala is located in modern-day Sweden and the way the actual temple or religious festivities depicted in Season One of The Vikings isn't very historically accurate, but it tries at least.

Most people on SR have at least a cursory understanding of how Aztecs and Mayans performed human sacrifices sometimes on an extreme, industrial scale from the tops of their pyramids in central/southern Mexico, or Yucatan/Belize or Guatemala .

Honestly, Guido, I like you as a poster, I really do but man as annoying and pestering as Southern Baptists or evangelical Christian right can be, their not nearly as bad as let's say countries like Iran or Saudi Arabia where strict, puritanical Islamist regimes run those countries like medieval theocracies. In Iran, a woman can be fined or arrested for not wearing a veil , hijab over her face. Women couldn't drive or have driver's licenses in Saudi Arabia or even being able to vote until recently. In both countries, women can't leave their homes unless accompanied by a male relative or friend or walk together in large groups together to public places.
Sharia law makes a lot of what me or you accuse religious right seem tame by comparison. And it's not just in Iran or Saudi Arabia, in Lebanon, Hezbollah is taking more and more of a leading force in parliamentary politics there and are trying to install similar Iranian-styled strict Islamist customs. Even in relatively secular Muslim ME countries, Muslim clerics have a very powerful, influential voice sometimes when it comes to domestic government policies that secular politicians have to take very seriously.

In terms of the long, complex and very violent history of the founding of Isreal, most leading European Zionists and even some major ones now, were staunch atheists, who embraced their cultural and linguistic Jewish ideals and if I'm being completely honest, guido, there never would've been a need for a Jewish, Zionist state if Jewish communities, intellectuals, assimilated into most European nations or countries had not been the convenient, often vicious targets of blood libels, papal inquisitions, being accused and cursed for killing Christ, being labeled as racially and genetically inferior by German nationalists, extreme Social Darwinists, victims of Russian Czarist pogroms and forced periodically to resettle in different regions of the empire.

Respect your extensive knowledge, 2884...but you really need to add a “TL/DR” summary at the end.

Kind of like how centuries of destabilization of Africa and a century of it in the Middle East by Europe and America in the name of ruthless exploitation of their resources has created all of those strict, puritanical Islamist regimes, we even propped up and continue to prop up some of those strict, puritanical Islamist regimes.

So yeah, every religion and culture has a lot of blood on their hands. It's absurd for any religion or culture to think they can sit in a morally superior position to any other religion or culture. What's worse than it being absurd is that it's that very same sense of moral superiority to others that fuels all of the violence from all of the different religions and cultures.

Well, the ancient Phoenicians ,,,
the point being, 'it's not the book'
- it's not religion it's politics - witches weren't burned in europe and 'the new world' for textual religious reasons, but for patriarchal political ones

case in point - so what, then, created jihadism?

Yep
Except those indigenous populations were unfortunately killing each other long before “we” arrived
Fear of “others” goes back a long way
Sadly

War is a constant through human history, and empires anywhere were not forged without war at any time that history, but to say they were killing each other, is an oversimplification that feels like an excuse.

The other factor is, when the Brits and Spaniards first arrived, they were mostly well received, but then went on to betray, rob, and enslave the people who welcomed them, fed them, and helped them. And these were the Christian nations.

the point being, 'it's not the book'
- it's not religion it's politics - witches weren't burned in europe and 'the new world' for textual religious reasons, but for patriarchal political ones

case in point - so what, then, created jihadism?

You make it sound as if religion and politics are mutually exclusive.

And witches were burned for textual religious reasons. Maybe not all of them, but mostly because of textual religious reasons.

You make it sound as if religion and politics are mutually exclusive.

And witches were burned for textual religious reasons. Maybe not all of them, but mostly because of textual religious reasons.

I wouldn't say mutually exclusive. But more often than not, religions are hijacked for political and geopolitical reasons. Most conflicts between nations have less to do with religion and more to do with exerting political power and influence over the regions they're attempting to influence.

As for textual reasons, yeah, I'd have to ask for sources as well if you're gonna claim that.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom