Team Defense Rank 21 (1 Viewer)

Let's calm down here. Even the 2007 Patriots didn't score 40 every game. Can we average 40PPG on this pace? Sure but are we going to score 40 every game? I'd highly doubt that.

Let's calm down here. Even the 2007 Patriots didn't score 40 every game. Can we average 40PPG on this pace? Sure but are we going to score 40 every game? I'd highly doubt that.

No but they did score 37 a game and I think our offense is just as good as that one if not better.

Score 37 a game and your defense can be ranked 21st for real. But we all know that ranking is just a product of prevent D late in the games allowing the other team to burn clock.

The Eagles converted just one of five red-zone opportunities into a touchdown.

OK, for the sake of argument, let's assume that the offense won't score 40 every game. The defense is still only giving up 20 a game. It would be different if we were winning 45-44 every game. An off day by the offense is scoring 20 or so points. The defense will continue to improve through out the year. Maybe in a few games we can win 53-6, and you will be able relax then.

I don't care if we're ranked 32nd in yards given up in the NFL. If we're producing turnovers on defense, giving our offense a short field from time to time, that's much more valuable to this team. We were sorely lacking in producing turnovers on D last year, and so far this season, this is where our huge defensive improvement is noticable.

One thing to keep in mind that nobody's brought up yet is.......wait until the Colts and Dolphins play their game to see where the Saint's D ranks.

I agree that rankings mean squat and our defense is obviously better than last year, but we'll probably be higher than 21 after tonight's game.

Admittedly a concern. I hate giving up all those yards, though I can rationalize most of them as garbage time. But I do have to give props to the defense not only on attitude, but they made the stops when they had to, bent but didn't break (I know, a cliche), made the turnovers, and even scored. So I'm torn, how serious do I take the defensive ranking or these other pluses, which don't factor in the ranking number?

I agree with the props for the D, but I kinda disagree with the 'bend don't break remark'. I think we forget sometimes exactly what GW said he would do when he came here and why he would do it.

GW said that with the O here it would allow his D the freedom to be aggressive and take risk and I think that is exactly what they are doing.

When the chips are down and they really need a stop they focus on that and have been fairly successfull especially against the run. That risk taking is going to give up big plays and that was his whole point, that this O could cover those points off big plays.

This D is only gonna get better, but the big plays will always be there while we are being aggressive.

JMO
mb

Total yards are one thing but we are pretty decent in other major stats (and arguably more important stats). Truth is we're 1st in defensive passer rating and 6th against the run.

Overall
15th yds per play
14th 1st downs per game
9th 3rd down %

Passing

4th Completion %
18th yds per attempt
1st Passer Rating

Rushing
6th yds per carry

Turnovers
1st Interceptions
13th Fumbles

Giving up 24.5 points a game won't get it done down the stretch, no matter how the points are scored. We have to get better if we're going to be a legitimate challenger in the NFC.

Except for the big points, I like what I'm seeing so far. We've gotten a little better QB pressure, good run defense, and flashes of better secondary play. I think we're getting close to putting it together. We need more sacks to become a good defense.

Those stats are misleading at the moment, as they haven't been updated fully, many of those teams that are above us, only have stats for 1 game, the best time to view stats of this nature is on Tuesday or Wednesday because they don't fully update them until all the games for the weekend are complete & Monday night games are not over yet.

So recheck this in a few days and post the "real" ranking.

The defense is ranked 21 because for an entire half we played soft in the secondary with a 3 score lead. Kolb had no business racking up nearly 400 yards. And he wouldn't have in a close game.

The more important stat IMO is the +3 turnover margin.

Yeah, that's how Aaron Brooks has those good stats; playing from 3 scores down will get you yards and usually touch downs

saints forums: but we used a prevent defense!

logic: if kolb gets 400 yards, our prevent defense is pretty terrible.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom