Team Defense Rank 21 (1 Viewer)

People have to realize, getting pressure from the front four isn't as cake as we make it out to be. It's not something that is going to happen everytime you go out on the field. Teams like the Titans used to do it so well because they have guys like Haynesworth back there.

Actually....

Focus on the turnovers. As long as our D is generating turnovers and we're not giving up the ball, we're going to win games. Frankly, I think our D played well yesterday with the exception of the first drive, which I blame more on 3G than the players. I think we won't see anymore corner blitzes where Harper has primary responsibility for covering the other team's best receiver. Other than that, they were solid. By the way, the other team's offense is paid to make plays. Don't expect us to stone NFL offenses. And we don't need to. This team is not built like the SB Ravens--we actually have a prolific offense!

Roman Harper blew coverage on that long TD play. Admittedly I haven't seen the game yet but will be watching it shortly but on that play from the highlight I saw, Roman made his move toward the line of scrimmage as though it was a running play, after it was obvious that it was a pass play. I'll watch it closer today to be sure though.

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categoryst...OTAL_YARDS_GAME_AVG&d-447263-o=1&d-447263-n=1

I hate to rain on our parade but we won't be able to score 40+ points every game and especially deep into the playoffs. I though we'd see more blitzing but we've given the Lions and the Eagles qb's way too much time to throw.

All I really care about is that our D looks noticeably better than last year. Dare I say our Offense looks much better as well. I think with a little luck on the injury front, we'll be fine. You also have to remember the new system on D may take a little while to get things going which is typical of any team.

Agree 100%
And almost the other half came in the first two when they were not. Not sure I see your point here.

Ok, but even so, 15 of 22 for 166yds (negating the 71yds), 1 sack & no INTs, is still a very good 1st half from a QB who is starting his 1st game ever in the NFL.

Look, I'm not trying to be Mr Negativity here, but I'm not donning the rose colored glasses either. If we can't get pressure from our DL on a regular basis then we could be in trouble at some point in the season. Maybe we will win the division, maybe we will score 40 points on every team. But come playoff time it's going to be a big difference-maker.

My point is that more than half of the yardage AND ZERO POINTS came when the Saints were playing prevent.

Do you know what prevent defense is?

Anyway, turnovers >>>>>>>> sacks.

From NFL Gamecenter
"Key stat
The Eagles finished with 463 total yards, but that number is somewhat deceiving. Four Philadelphia drives culminated in turnovers and the Eagles were unable to put any serious pressure on New Orleans down the stretch, despite the gaudy yardage total.

Prevent Defense Hey I don't particulary like that, but who in the hell am I to tell GW how to play defense. I feel that the defense will get better as the season goes on!

It is worth pointing out:

Eagles offense vs. Saints prevent defense (4th quarter): 170 yards
Eagles offense vs. Saints prevent defense: 0 points
Saints prevent defense vs. Eagles offense: 7 points

The Eagles also held the ball for almost 9 minutes of the 4th quarter. That was textbook prevent defense, and anyone who thinks that kind of performance is cause for concern doesn't understand much about football. The defense did not allow a score, they scored points themselves, they allowed Philly to waste 9 minutes marching the ball up and down between the 20s. Philly killed the clock for us and got nothing but stat-padding yards for it.

My point is that more than half of the yardage AND ZERO POINTS came when the Saints were playing prevent.

Do you know what prevent defense is?

Anyway, turnovers >>>>>>>> sacks.

I know exactly what a prevent defense is and it has absolutely nothing to do with what happened in the first half of the game. If you had been paying attention then you might understand that.

My point is the other half of the yardage came when they were NOT playing prevent defense. My point is that, prevent or not, the Eagles still had their way with us in the passing game and that is mostly because we are NOT getting any pressure from our defensive line. You may not care because we won the game & because they only scored 2 passing TDs. But, I care because I look at the 391 yds and I see a problem that if it does not get fixed could very well prevent us from doing any better than in 2006. Maybe that's good enough for some Saints fans, but I guarantee if you ask anyone within the organization they would tell you that anything other than a Superbowl would be a big disappointment. And if you're thinking Superbowl right now then take a look at how well Arizona's outstanding offense got them in the Superbowl last year.

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categoryst...OTAL_YARDS_GAME_AVG&d-447263-o=1&d-447263-n=1

I hate to rain on our parade but we won't be able to score 40+ points every game and especially deep into the playoffs. I though we'd see more blitzing but we've given the Lions and the Eagles qb's way too much time to throw.
Before this game everyone was saying how great the Philly D was. The fact is on Sun the great Philly D gave up 41 points while the NO D gave up 20 points. As long as our D plays better than the D across the field (which considering the D across the field has to play our offense) we will win alot of games. THE END

Giving up a few big plays, even touchdowns is OK if the D can get one or two more turnovers a game than last year. Remember last year we gave up big plays a lot and every team get's beat for a big one now and then. If the Saint's can stay on the plus side in turnovers then the D is doing a good job as long as the big plays are not too often. So far there have beena few big plays, but there have also been turnovers. The D is doing just fine.

Kris

I think we are +3 on turn overs.
Keep this up we win. 2 big pass plays in 2 games that ended up in TDs not great but good enough.
Not sure what team that has a good enough defense to hold us to under 25 or 30 points and good enough on offense to out score us.
Only 118 total rushing yards against us so it makes teams 1 dimensional. They have to pass to get first downs. Will they get get some yards passing yes.
Will we get interceptions yes. Looks like we are excellent in the red zone on defense.
Lets wait and see. If after 8 games the Saints are still out scoring their opponents by 20+ points a game I say nothing to worry about. If it drops to say 7 or 8 something to worry about. Really good teams usually have an average net points in the low teens. Maybe 10. I hate to bring it up but the Patriots 07 had a 19.7 points advantage average per game. We keep it above 15 and I am not worried. Lets wait for us to complete 8 games before we start to worry about something.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom