Team Defense Rank 21 (1 Viewer)

It seemed we went into a semi-prevent midway throught the 3rd quarter, and a full prevent for almost the entire 4th quarter.

I knew someone would bring this up.

The defense is ranked 21 because for an entire half we played soft in the secondary with a 3 score lead. Kolb had no business racking up nearly 400 yards. And he wouldn't have in a close game.

The more important stat IMO is the +3 turnover margin.

The defense has been playing soft once we get a big lead. They are keeping everything in front of them and making team eat up clock. Look at the turnover ratio. That is good. That's what is important. Also, we are good against the run.

The D is playing agressively and stats wise will improve as the seaon progresses. They'll be where we need them to be later in the season. With our offense, a little more improvement will make us unstoppable.

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categoryst...OTAL_YARDS_GAME_AVG&d-447263-o=1&d-447263-n=1

I hate to rain on our parade but we won't be able to score 40+ points every game and especially deep into the playoffs. I though we'd see more blitzing but we've given the Lions and the Eagles qb's way too much time to throw.

Not raining on anyone's parade who watched the game.. the defense played excellent until we got up by 3 touchdowns.. then they just played "kill the clock" defense. If the game were closer I have no doubts the bottom line for the Eagles offense would have been MUCH lower.

Even if it was a legit 400+ yard day... we didn't need 40+ points, we only needed 21.

The Defense held the Eagles to 13 points through 43 minutes out of 60. Once again, a big return on our kickoff team set up a FOURTH down touchdown. Had we not been up by 3 scores at the time, they would have kicked yet another field goal (as opposed to scoring a TD)

I agree with you. We can't continue to have miscues and give up a long TD pass in the secondary. I'm ok with the yards for now since both teams so far have been playing from behind. We gotta do a better job of limiting the big plays.

Admittedly a concern. I hate giving up all those yards, though I can rationalize most of them as garbage time. But I do have to give props to the defense not only on attitude, but they made the stops when they had to, bent but didn't break (I know, a cliche), made the turnovers, and even scored. So I'm torn, how serious do I take the defensive ranking or these other pluses, which don't factor in the ranking number?

Focus on the turnovers. As long as our D is generating turnovers and we're not giving up the ball, we're going to win games. Frankly, I think our D played well yesterday with the exception of the first drive, which I blame more on 3G than the players. I think we won't see anymore corner blitzes where Harper has primary responsibility for covering the other team's best receiver. Other than that, they were solid. By the way, the other team's offense is paid to make plays. Don't expect us to stone NFL offenses. And we don't need to. This team is not built like the SB Ravens--we actually have a prolific offense!

We lead the league in opposing QB rating (lowest), all while being thrown on more than anybody, except for the Bills.

I don't care about rankings anymore. It's safe to say we are a much improved defense than last year.

The defense is ranked 21 because for an entire half we played soft in the secondary with a 3 score lead. Kolb had no business racking up nearly 400 yards. And he wouldn't have in a close game.

The more important stat IMO is the +3 turnover margin.
Ditto - I saw Kolbs stats going up and didn't like it either, however like has been stated, the great stats that hurt our ranking are due to both our opponents playing catch up. Sort of like Drew's stats last year, they were great but our record wasn't because he was always playing catchup, try and score quick offense.
Suck defense was the Cowboys last night trying to stop Manning and couldn't even slow him down when they needed to in a close game. lol
Recall the game and you'll notice that for the first time in a long time........our defense in the first half held them to about 3 straight 3 and outs, can't hardly remember that happening.

Our rushing defense number is in large part the product of our scoring offense. We score often, other teams get substantially behind and start throwing every down to catch up, we play some type of prevent--where teams can rack up the yards--much earlier than perhaps anybody else in league.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom