Saints Teammates praising Cesar Ruiz at Saints training camp (1 Viewer)

We dont believe you, ypu need more people! He Needs to Produce and stop getting bulldozed into the play that would help tremendously. I do hope the light came on and hes ready to establish himself

This is a critical year for Ruiz. Hopefully, his maturity and experience will allow him to move his play to a higher stage. It is encouraging that teammates are offering encouraging comments to and about Ruiz. But we have not even played a single preseason game, and we will find out beginning in September when the regular season begins. For several reasons, I wish Ruiz well--the team needs for him to consistently play well at right guard. But training-camp praise and notoriety need to be kept in perspective.

This is a critical year for Ruiz. Hopefully, his maturity and experience will allow him to move his play to a higher stage. It is encouraging that teammates are offering encouraging comments to and about Ruiz. But we have not even played a single preseason game, and we will find out beginning in September when the regular season begins. For several reasons, I wish Ruiz well--the team needs for him to consistently play well at right guard. But training-camp praise and notoriety need to be kept in perspective.
100%
I need to see Ruiz do it against Grady Jarrett and Veta Vea.
But I'm hopeful new OL coaches are having a positive effect.

One thing that's lost in the mix is that this is Ruiz, Trautman, and Baun's 2nd training camp. Ruiz and Trautman have a couple of years of season long real game experience. If either are going to make a leap, I think it'd be this season.

With Ruiz and Penning, I keep hearing "hands". I'm not OL expert, but that would seem to be one of the most coachable things for a young offensive lineman to learn.
And when it comes to OL coaching, Saints have some of the best in the business out there. Like the article said, Morrone is over-qualified as an OL coach. Strief has proven to be an asset, and having one of the best that ever played guard in the NFL come home to offer his assistance, is about as good of a set up as you could hope for.

Initial observations seem to be really positive, but as you say we really won't know until the bullets start flying in about a month. The one thing we can say is that is is getting some personal attention from some outstanding coaches so if he doesn't progress it will be on him and him alone. For me a related question is how will Peat do this year and will he be able to stay on the field. If he can stay healthy is removes yet another question mark from the OL.

Hopefully Ruiz has turned the corner and upped his game. Saints fans couldn't tolerate another year of the Matador staffing the right guard possition.

The play our guards will be critical. Pressure up the middle is the hardest thing for a QB to deal with.

I think it's worth saying that neither Ruiz nor Peat have a problem with their aggressiveness or being soft. Ruiz and to a lesser extent, Peat, have technical consistency issues and Ruiz you could argue had some mental lapses as well. Peat is also prone to injury but does his best to play through. Their problems come generally against quick/shifty DL/DE.

Yes, Penning has a great and delightful mean streak, which neither Peat nor Ruiz (nor Ramczyk or McCoy) have. But if that were to magically rub off on the others (which it usually does to an extent), that won't fix the technical inconsistency.

So, to recap, while being aggressive and setting a tone on OL is great and, to me, extremely, desirable, it's not a silver bullet that rectifies fundamental/ technical deficiencies.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom