Teams are inquiring about Quinnen Williams (1 Viewer)

I’ve been thinking about this quite a bit since I first browsed this thread...

I read an article that guessed that the Jets would perhaps be satisfied and/or interested in moving Williams for a 2021 2nd rounder.

Williams hasn’t quite lived up to his draft slot up to this point, but he’s only in his 2nd season in the NFL, and I believe he would be a much better fit as a 3-tech DT in a 4 man front, as opposed to playing DE in the Jets 3-4.
With Sheldon Rankins playing in the last year of his contract, and not really looking anything like the player he was prior to 2 consecutive season ending injuries, I truly believe Quinnen Williams would be a high-impact addition for the Saints immediately and for the future. If the Saints made this move, they would have Williams for the remainder of the 2020 season, and then an additional 2-3 seasons (if they picked up his 5th year option).
Williams was a better prospect than Rankins ever was, and his upside is in the Aaron Donald range.
Williams would immediately help the Saints already stout run defense, as well as providing a boost to the interior pass rush... which would then (in turn) help the secondary and coverage.

I hope the Saints call the Jets and offer a 2nd rounder (and maybe more) to try and make this move happen!

A front 4 of Cam Jordan, David Onyemata, Quinnen Williams, and Marcus Davenport would be (dare I say) DOMINANT. Rotating in Rankins, Brown, Hendrickson, and Tuttle/Roach keeps everyone fresh and makes the defense instantly better.

I don't have anything to add about Williams and the Saints.

But any chance we get to post the moment Williams knew Nick Saban was about to kill him, and then stopped talking, is a good time.

A lot will depend on Rankin's price tag this offseason, I just don't see us resigning him unless it is a team friendly contract. We just extended Onyamata, and have Tuttle & Roach who are both young and have flashed big play ability. If Payton and Loomis know for sure Rankins isn't in the future plans then I wouldn't mind us trading for Williams. Financially it would make sense being that Williams is still on his rookie deal for this year and at least 2 more while Rankins would cost a lot more and we have our own guys coming off rookie contracts that need extending.

A lot will depend on Rankin's price tag this offseason, I just don't see us resigning him unless it is a team friendly contract. We just extended Onyamata, and have Tuttle & Roach who are both young and have flashed big play ability. If Payton and Loomis know for sure Rankins isn't in the future plans then I wouldn't mind us trading for Williams. Financially it would make sense being that Williams is still on his rookie deal for this year and at least 2 more while Rankins would cost a lot more and we have our own guys coming off rookie contracts that need extending.

Absolutely. The Saints and Loomis know how to work the cap, that's not an ultimate concern. But obviously Covid has put a dent in the typical Saints manipulation of the cap. So we head into 2021 around $87M over the cap. There are some "likely" moves to start clearing space (cutting Nick Eason and Janoris Jenkins saves $13M combined as an example, and extending Lattimore and Ramczyk -- and Hill you truly make him your QB of the future -- would likely bring their numbers down a similar amount), but there will still have to be players that are allowed to walk, and Rankins is almost assuredly one of them.

How many Williams are we allowed on defense? PJ, Marcus, now Quinnen? With Malcolm and Janoris Jenkins we could end up with a confusing situation lol

You have virtually no chance of signing Lattimore and Rankins. If Ireland thinks the kid is worth it, go for it

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom