Teary-eyed Hillary: Is this her "human side" or expose a campaign in serious trouble? (1 Viewer)

Jeff Miller

Shaw 1988, NYIT 2009
Reaction score
Depends. Many people, such as my self, don't feel that one individual in government is the key making things better. You impower individuals, not a president. That, in my opinion is what she doesn't get. Its not her job to "fix" the country.

NCSaint

Hurts her. I was wrong -- was 100% certain she would be the next US President. I hadn't planned voting for her - just figured she would win.

I think the Bush, Clinton, Clinton, Bush, Bush cycle is about to end. Thank goodness for two-term limits.

Jonesy77

Banned
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
hurts. I think many will see emotion as sign of weakness that justifies the belief that a woman cannot succeed as leader of the free world.

Pasty

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
She's still stealing a message when she says this. "It's personal for me" is the same play John Edwards made during the debate Saturday night.

OP
OP

SaintsFan11

Allons à Lafayette
Reaction score
I think it could hurt her in two ways:

A) it makes her look weak, considering the primary season has only just begun and she's already breaking down

B) if it comes across as disingenuous in any way of course it will sink her like a stone

BUT it could help her among women voters who sympathize with her struggle. She has been all over the place emotionally. She was visibly angry in the debate and then she got cute with her response to the likeability question. She's on the campaign trail trying to fire people up and appear youthful, and she's also misty-eyed about it all. If anything, it demonstrates the schizophrenic nature of her campaign, which has been her undoing so far. She has 80 different campaign themes and messages, whereas Obama and Edwards have only one (Hope and evil corporations respectively). At any rate, it's likely too late to have a major impact on tomorrow's vote. It would be interesting to hear what the female members of this board have to say.

NCSaint

She's still stealing a message when she says this. "It's personal for me" is the same play John Edwards made during the debate Saturday night.
I wouldn't think John Edwards originated this phrase either.

bclemms

More than 15K posts served!
Reaction score
I have read a few rumors that she will drop out of the race if Obama wins Nh with double digits.

Edwards also said that he expected Hitlery to drop out soon.

IMO there is no way she drops out before Super Tuesday but her campaign is in very serious trouble.

gavinj

Super Forum Fanatic
Reaction score
It helps her - Bill probably told her to do it. She's giving Crocodile tears a bad name.

LSSpam

Practice Squad
Reaction score
This is bad.

People can handle "tears of compassion". Hell you can even get a significant bump from it. No one responds positively to "tears of frustration/stress". Guy or girl

Actually that's probably the more interesting question. Does this hurt her more because she is a girl or would it hurt a guy more?

The gut reaction is it hurts her more because she's a woman running for president, but I wonder if a guy doing such an "un-masculine" thing would not result in a bigger hit.

Saint by the Bay

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
This is bad.

People can handle "tears of compassion". Hell you can even get a significant bump from it. No one responds positively to "tears of frustration/stress". Guy or girl

Actually that's probably the more interesting question. Does this hurt her more because she is a girl or would it hurt a guy more?

The gut reaction is it hurts her more because she's a woman running for president, but I wonder if a guy doing such an "un-masculine" thing would not result in a bigger hit.
I think she can recover from this.

If it was a guy you could go ahead and engrave his political tombstone with the words "He Cried". Male politicians are only allowed to cry as a sign of patriotism. Anything else is weak and unacceptable.

Waymer

Waymer
Super Moderator
VIP Subscribing Member
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score

Good question. I'd actually think it was the guy that would be impacted more. Women want tough men and men want to idolize tough men.

bclemms

More than 15K posts served!
Reaction score

If it was a guy you could go ahead and engrave his political tombstone with the words "He Cried". Male politicians are only allowed to cry as a sign of patriotism. Anything else is weak and unacceptable.
With her bank roll she isn't done until the votes are in but her campaign is in serious trouble.

Dick Vermeil should run for president so we can have a better idea to spam's question.

BullDawg

Gone but will never forgotten. R.I.P. Nate
Reaction score

I don't know if she can or will recover, but the rest of your post was spot on.

If a male politician cries, it had better be for a good reason. If it is for a good reason, he's suddenly a "man of the people" who "feels your pain" or is "compassionate" (do those key words sound familiar?). If is isn't for a good reason, he's weak.

If a female politician cries, it was obviously a)"that" time, or (b)the "change". Either way is a no-win situation regardless of the absurdity of it all. Regardless of the truth of the matter...whatever the truth may be...she's "weak".

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Headlines

Saints Headlines (Official Site)

Top Bottom