Teddy left Miami w/o a deal.... [UPDATE: Re-signs with Saints][MERGED] (1 Viewer)

Or maybe... just maybe... Bridgewater is their guy from the moment they traded the 3rd round pick for him.
Let’s keep it simple. We traded A 3rd for Bridgewater while he was on a one year deal. And he re-signs to another 1 year deal while the team is cap strapped over a starting opportunity in his hometown. I think it’s fair to say that both the Saints and Bridgewater has a lot of faith in each other and he will have the first crack at succeeding Drew.
This. ^^^^^

I think that the Saints have been looking for a successor to Brees for a few years now. Teddy is the heir apparent now and I believe was brought in here last year to see if that might be the case. They were impressed with what they saw and now have a vision for the player and a transition plan in place.

The salary he received was too much for a clip board holder. The money spent is to retain that heir apparent as well as money for a backup. Imo he is being groomed to take over as early as next year.

Teddy had to be thinking just a little bit about mark yesterday. Glad that didn't happen twice. Be patient grasshopper, it will pay off soon enough.

i guess the front office doesnt see any viable free agents coming up in the next two years, and no one really coming out in college that they can get.
Or maybe... just maybe... Bridgewater is their guy from the moment they traded the 3rd round pick for him.
Let’s keep it simple. We traded A 3rd for Bridgewater while he was on a one year deal. And he re-signs to another 1 year deal while the team is cap strapped over a starting opportunity in his hometown. I think it’s fair to say that both the Saints and Bridgewater has a lot of faith in each other and he will have the first crack at succeeding Drew.

I'd say both of these are true, and for the same reason. That being, that colleges simply aren't producing QBs that have, not just the accuracy, but the anticipation and the lickety-split ball placement to allow man-covered WRs to maximize YAC, which is absolutely vital for running a Sean Payton offense (or any offense that has actually seen real playoff success in this NFL, it's no accident that recent SBs have been dominated by Tom Brady and Peyton Manning aside from the Foles fluke.) It's so much easier to generate space in college with less talented DBs and hash marks further apart than in the pros, and that incents college coaches to design their offensive concepts and how they teach their QBs around that instead of the cerebral factors that make NFL QBs successful.

It's so much easier to generate space in college with less talented DBs and hash marks further apart than in the pros, and that incents college coaches to design their offensive concepts and how they teach their QBs around that instead of the cerebral factors that make NFL QBs successful.

It is just my opinion, and part of this kinda piggybacks your point, but I believe college coaches are in the business of designing their offensive schemes to put up points and win football games. Sending players to the NFL is resumé building and whatnot, but that’s not what keeps them employed, so teaching QBs cerebral aspects instead of airing it out and scoring points is an afterthought. And I don’t see this changing any time soon.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom