Teddy question... (1 Viewer)

Pretty much. Except for maybe Bill Belichick. He certainly seems to have the comp pick acquisition down to a science.

He does because he does not get caught up in the personal side of the personnel moves. He knows when to get rid of a player while he still has value before the decline of no return happens. He knows that if you sign a player that was released is does not count against you for the calculation. He knows that it is better to trade for a player that you might want to sign since it would not count for an FA addition.

This year is the perfect scenario for us to finally get a compensatory pick. We more than likely will lose Teddy to FA and to a fairly significant contract to a team where he will start. We also will/should lose Peat to a starting LG and possibly starting OT contract. It is also possible we lose Bell to FA which would be starting Safety pay.

I doubt we sign enough FAs to negate losing those players. If we replace the holes left through the draft, released players or trades then the calculation would favor us to receive pick compensation.

I do not know how resigning your own FAs factors in. Will resigning Brees and Taysom negate the loss of Teddy to FA? I don't know.

I do not know how resigning your own FAs factors in. Will resigning Brees and Taysom negate the loss of Teddy to FA? I don't know.
They won’t, only incoming UFA’s count towards the compensatory formula.

And you nailed the rest of the post.

Additionally another thing Belichick does is they’ll trade peanuts (6th/7th round picks) for decent players with a year or two left on their deals, pump up their value in their system and then they’ll either let them walk in free agency and let another team pay them a big deal or they’ll trade them again if they can either:

a.) get a 3rd or higher pick, since a 3rd is higher than a compensatory 3rd, or...​
b.) at least get a higher pick than they gave up in the initial trade and higher than they would get as a comp pick by letting the player walk (and they get it a year early instead of having to wait)​
Lots of suckers in the league that routinely fall into that trap of paying their fringe talent players that they don’t want.

It's a secret methodology that's totally up to the higher ups at the NFL. So that means more than likely the NFL will decide that we lose our first rounder if Teddy leaves.

Doesn't it somehow tie to money offered? Like if Teddy gets offered top QB money that will equal a 1st round pick if we don't spend any FA money on the same position? Or am I playing with playdo while they are doing DNA splicing?
The best we can hope for is pick 97. Comp picks start at the end of 3rd round.

compensatory picks start at the end of the third round. I expect the Saints will get a third round compensatory pick. It will be in 2021.

Between what Teddy will make and what some team will pay Peat and possibly Von Bell (I hope we can keep him though), we “should” get a few Comp picks.

compensatory picks start at the end of the third round. I expect the Saints will get a third round compensatory pick. It will be in 2021.
Same.

Also that bolded part is something I don’t think a lot of fans realize. If Teddy gets a big enough deal he can’t turn down and we get a comp pick for him, that pick won’t be this year, it’s for next year.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom