Teddy VS Drew For Some Perspective (1 Viewer)

Jvititoe

Veteran Starter
Reaction score
I am OK with whatever Sean choose for the QB path moving forward post Drew, but i see a lot of arguing whether Teddy's the man or not.

i remembered when Drew first started he he wasn't a world beater right away and it took some time. So I ran the numbers for Drew's first 5 starts vs Teddy's.

*****EDIT***** To be clear this is Drew's and Teddy's first 5 starts as Saints.

*****EDIT 2***** We had the #6 total def in 2006

Drew
compattyardstdint
16​
30​
170​
1​
1​
26​
41​
353​
2​
1​
20​
28​
191​
0​
0​
28​
38​
349​
1​
0​
21​
33​
171​
1​
0​
111​
170​
1234​
5​
2​
0.652941​

Teddy
compattyardstdint
19​
27​
177​
2​
0​
23​
30​
193​
0​
1​
26​
34​
314​
4​
1​
24​
36​
240​
1​
0​
23​
38​
281​
2​
0​
115​
165​
1205​
9​
2​
0.69697​

Last edited:
Interesting...

Just making sure, is that Drew’s first five starts with the Saints or Chargers?

Either way, the league was a bit different 13+ years ago and Payton hadn’t perfected his scheme yet.

None the less, very interesting.

Good comparison. It is a good debate because right now, the most important saving grace for Bridgewater is that he is undefeated. From my opinion, Bridgewater has inconsistent performance. He can have very good games and the next one would be pedestrian. He is not Brees but he does enough to win. It is a tough call right now because the offense flows better with Brees. But don't know how rusty he might be coming back. This is tough one to debate.

here is the problem, Drew is not going anywhere after this year. its obvious by the way he is talking and acting. the hunger is still there. there is no way TB takes another discount not knowing when Brees is going to leave. TB will get a contract over $15m a year if not more at the end of the season and there is no way we can pay that. we have to many other players who need to get paid. TB is not stupid, you take the contract when you are hot.

There is something to be said about learning and growing into the offense.
I was thinking about Drew's long term progression into this offense and how he has mastered the offense. He's had the same his entire time here. There are QB's in this league that have a new offense every year (Rosen for example).
Teddy isn't Drew, but that doesn't mean he's not pretty good. He's definitely above average and a quality starter in this league. With the fundamentals and consistency he could develop here, I think his future playing in this system would be better than most other places he could go to.

I'm not sure how valid this comparison is. True, Teddy should get better as he gets more experience with our starting offense, just as more experience helped Drew. However, they were two different offensive units and Drew was just coming off major shoulder surgery in 2006, whereas Teddy was not coming off major injury at the start of this season. Also, Payton was in his first season as a HC and has gotten better at game prep and management since 2006. We also have a better defense than we did in 2006, which helps out the offense. I think Teddy is good and could be the heir apparent if Drew retires at the end of this season. I think it will be difficult, though, to pay both starting salaries and stay under the cap if Drew does not retire.

Teddy will never be Drew. This is not to say Teddy is not a starting QB for the NFL, but Drew is at a level which very few, if any, are capable of comparing to. Really need to stop comparing them, because there is no comparison. One is a no doubt, first ballot, 100% Hall of Famer - the other is a legit starting QB in the NFL. Rather unfair to compare them and no, i don't care about the stats - Drew today vs. Teddy today is what reality is. Anything else doesn't make sense.

Interesting...

Just making sure, is that Drew’s first five starts with the Saints or Chargers?

Either way, the league was a bit different 13+ years ago and Payton hadn’t perfected his scheme yet.

None the less, very interesting.

Yeah and don't forget that this is Teddy's first real action in about 3 years.

I am OK with whatever Sean choose for the QB path moving forward post Drew, but i see a lot of arguing whether Teddy's the man or not.

i remembered when Drew first started he he wasn't a world beater right away and it took some time. So I ran the numbers for Drew's first 5 starts vs Teddy's.

*****EDIT***** To be clear this is Drew's and Teddy's first 5 starts as Saints.

Drew
compattyardstdint
16​
30​
170​
1​
1​
26​
41​
353​
2​
1​
20​
28​
191​
0​
0​
28​
38​
349​
1​
0​
21​
33​
171​
1​
0​
111​
170​
1234​
5​
2​
0.652941​

Teddy
compattyardstdint
19​
27​
177​
2​
0​
23​
30​
193​
0​
1​
26​
34​
314​
4​
1​
24​
36​
240​
1​
0​
23​
38​
281​
2​
0​
115​
165​
1205​
9​
2​
0.69697​
That's cool and all, but Drew didn't have over a year in the building with Sean before his first five starts. To be more accurate, I'd think Drew's first five starts of 2007 would be better.

I get your point though. The difference is in the type of offense each is capable of running. Do we want a game manager type QB going forward or do we want someone who can make 4-5 reads and sling it around with ridiculous accuracy? I'd only want that kind of guy if we can get him in the draft and it being someone Payton loves like he did Mahomes. And hopefully have him in the building for a year sitting behind Drew to learn the offense backwards and forwards before becoming the starter. (It'd be really cool if we could get Burrow since he's already running some of Payton's offense. And this isn't LSU homerism, he's a legit Heisman contender who is lighting up some really good defenses.)

That's cool and all, but Drew didn't have over a year in the building with Sean before his first five starts. To be more accurate, I'd think Drew's first five starts of 2007 would be better.

I get your point though. The difference is in the type of offense each is capable of running. Do we want a game manager type QB going forward or do we want someone who can make 4-5 reads and sling it around with ridiculous accuracy? I'd only want that kind of guy if we can get him in the draft and it being someone Payton loves like he did Mahomes. And hopefully have him in the building for a year sitting behind Drew to learn the offense backwards and forwards before becoming the starter. (It'd be really cool if we could get Burrow since he's already running some of Payton's offense. And this isn't LSU homerism, he's a legit Heisman contender who is lighting up some really good defenses.)
here you go

compattyardstdint
28​
41​
192​
0​
2​
26​
44​
260​
1​
1​
29​
45​
225​
0​
4​
29​
47​
252​
0​
2​
25​
36​
246​
2​
0​
137​
213​
1175​
3​
9​
0.643192​

people also forget we had #6 total def that year.

this isn't to say TB will ever be anywhere near as good as Drew, and I'm definitely not advocating TB starting over a healthy Drew. It's more to show that if Drew were to retire this year and SP stick with TB its not necessarily this bad decision some people here make it seem like.

here you go

compattyardstdint
28​
41​
192​
0​
2​
26​
44​
260​
1​
1​
29​
45​
225​
0​
4​
29​
47​
252​
0​
2​
25​
36​
246​
2​
0​
137​
213​
1175​
3​
9​
0.643192​
Thanks. It solidifies your point (I forgot how bad of a start he had in 2007) but I still would prefer a Drew type QB over a game manager. And I love everything TB has done for us in Drew's absence. He's done everything we brought him here to do. Win games if Drew gets hurt.

people also forget we had #6 total def that year.

this isn't to say TB will ever be anywhere near as good as Drew, and I'm definitely not advocating TB starting over a healthy Drew. It's more to show that if Drew were to retire this year and SP stick with TB its not necessarily this bad decision some people here make it seem like.
As long as we can manage to keep a defense like this in tact while TB is the starter, he can go far. But do you think he'd have been able to keep us at 7-9 for those three years of awful defense?

That's the only reason I want a gunslinger type QB and wouldn't mind us trading up a lot in this draft to get one if Payton thinks he sees a Mahomes type guy for the future of the Saints. There's a few good ones coming out this year - and I'm all in on Burrow with the Joe Brady Saints schemes he's already running.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom