Teen OD's on Fentanyl (1 Viewer)

keepoursaints

I hate American Airlines
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
FOXNews.com - Teen OD's, Dies After Stealing Fentanyl - Health News | Current Health News | Medical News

Emergency room doctors in the United States are reporting an increase in deaths related to the abuse of fentanyl, which is 50 times stronger than heroin if taken intravenously, according to a 2007 Centers for Disease Control report.

Wow

Edit: I plan on doing some research, but does anyone know what Fentanyl is used for? I recognize the name, but know nothing more about it. I posted this more as a PSA for parents out there with RX at the house.. kids are stealing them more and more often.

Edit again:

Fentanyls are extensively used for anesthesia and analgesia, most often in the operating room and intensive care unit. Fentanyl transdermal patch (Durogesic/Duragesic) is used in chronic pain management. Fentanyl patches work by releasing fentanyl into body fats, which then slowly release the drug into the blood stream over 72 hours, allowing for long lasting relief from pain. In the past few years, the patches have gone generic and are available for lower costs. Fentanyl patches are manufactured in five patch sizes: 12.5 micrograms/h, 25 µg/h, 50 µg/h, 75 µg/h, and 100 µg/h; the generic version lacks the 12.5 µg/h version. Dosage is based on the size of the patch, since the transdermal absorption rate is generally constant at a constant skin temperature. Rate of absorption is dependent on a number of factors. Body temperature, skin type and placement of the patch can have major effects. The different delivery systems used by different makers will also affect individual rates of absorption. The typical patch will take effect under normal circumstances usually within 8-12 hours, thus fentanyl patches are often prescribed with another opiate (such as morphine sulfate) to handle breakthrough-pain.

Fentanyl lozenges (Actiq) are a solid formulation of fentanyl citrate on a stick in the form of a lollipop that dissolves slowly in the mouth for transmucosal absorption. These lozenges are intended for opioid-tolerant individuals and is effective in treating breakthrough cancer pain. It is also useful for breakthrough pain for those suffering bone injuries, severe back pain, neuropathy, arthritis, and some other examples of chronic nonmalignant pain. The unit is a berry-flavored lozenge on a stick which is swabbed on the mucosal surfaces inside the mouth—inside of the cheeks, under and on the tongue and gums—to release the fentanyl quickly into the system. It is most effective when the lozenge is consumed in 15 minutes. The drug is less effective if swallowed, as despite good absorbance from the small intestine there is extensive first pass metabolism, leading to an oral bioavailability of 33%. Fentanyl lozenges are available in six dosages, from 200 to 1600 µg in 200 µg increments (excluding 1000 µg and 1400 µg). These are now available in the United states in generic form,[1] through an FTC consent agreement.[2]
However, most patients find it takes 10-15 minutes to use all of one lozenge, and those with a dry mouth cannot use this route. In addition, nurses are unable to document how much of a lozenge has been used by a patient, making drug records inaccurate. The development of small fentanyl buccal pellets (Fentora) may be much more practical. These are effervescent tablets placed in the cheek and are absorbed through the buccal mucosa. One advantage of such tablets is claimed to be quicker absorption into the bloodstream at lower dosage levels.

Fentanyl is frequently given intrathecally as part of spinal anesthesia or epidurally for epidural anesthesia and analgesia. It is also used as a sedative.

Fentanyl is not considered a first line opioid in palliative care—morphine remains the first line choice, fentanyl is regarded as a second or third line alternative to morphine along with hydromorphone, oxycodone and sometimes methadone.

Fentanyl - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited:
Edit: I plan on doing some research...

I would like to help with the research. They gave me fentanyl during a kidney stone attack.
Me likey fentanyl.
Now I can't wait for my next kidney stone....sigh.....good times...

I would like to help with the research. They gave me fentanyl during a kidney stone attack.
Me likey fentanyl.
Now I can't wait for my next kidney stone....sigh.....good times...

Yeah seems like a pain med similar to morphine.

50 times stronger than heroin.. geez :covri:

i've got an entire box of those patches sitting on my kitchen table.... my great aunt gave them to me when i complained of back pain...i haven't even used them yet, now i'm curious of the strength,.... might have to go pop one of those bad boys on... lol

i've got an entire box of those patches sitting on my kitchen table.... my great aunt gave them to me when i complained of back pain...i haven't even used them yet, now i'm curious of the strength,.... might have to go pop one of those bad boys on... lol

What's your address?

This is pure snow! Do you have any idea what the street value of this mountain is?!?!?!

curtis2.jpg

Fentanyl, the friend of anesthesiologists everywhere. A class mate of mine did weekend call, and one night a body was discovered with evidence of a fentanyl overdose. The hospital operator paged over head, "Paging Dr. -----, paging Dr. _____"

Dr ----- didn't answer his code page.

I have a a friend that died of fentanyl od, it looks like when mixed with alcohol it gets to be killer.

what the hell is wrong with just leting people smoke opium? that stuff won't kill you. and it will make you feel good even if a rat is eating your heart.

When I worked in a hospital pharmacy, two people would transport it. Never took it, but it looks like some stuff Roger Clinton would like.

I am a paramedic and we have had probably 5 cases of Fentanyl overdoses and like deaths from it.

People actually are putting the patches in their mouths, where of course, drugs are VERY easily absorbed into the membranes.

Mostly teens are messing with this, but adults are doing it too....

Strong stuff. They gave my wife a fentanyl patch when she was in serious pain after brain surgery, and within an hour she was hallucinating, unpleasantly. She disliked it so much that she decided the pain was preferable, and she has pretty much stuck to tylenol and ibuprofen since then.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom