Television Question (1 Viewer)

Widge, depending on your viewing distance, you may not need 1080P in a 37 inch. If you're more than 5 feet from a 37", you won't be able to tell the difference. If you need more than a mongoose's opinion, google optimum viewing distance/tv size. I obviously don't have the energy to do that for you. But I have a 720p 37" in the bedroom and can't tell the difference once I'm like 3 to 4 feet away. Plus, you're lower to the ground.

WDF is getting all frisky again about plasma. Pay no mind. He's just angry. If the older tech is superior (and it is for most applications), then there is no electronics buying frenzy, and thus no meaningless excitement. With no meaningless excitement to distract him, he's forced to consider how miserable he is given than life forces sobreity on him at least a few hours per day.

So he's personally invested, you see.

Me, I've long since become comfortable with misery and my own failings. I just want the best picture on the tv. And that comes with plasma. Thanks to suckers like WDF, the prices are even better.

There is no high maintenance. The sites where WDF gets his info all have huge armies of plasma lovers. Things aren't as he depicts them. Unless you're in a bright room, there's no reason not to get a plasma.

Distant, distant cousin.

Like, really distant.

Kissin'%20Cousins%20Single.jpg

The problem with plasmas is that they are heavier and really only like to travel upright. This makes them much more difficult to repeatedly return to the store.

The problem with plasmas is that they are heavier and really only like to travel upright. This makes them much more difficult to repeatedly return to the store.

.............:aargh:

Whatever model you go with, go Squaretrade for the warranty and use the coupon code "JINGLE" for 40% off of the warranty. There. Friends?

WDQ has spent more money on warrantys that he has never had any use for since he doesnt keep a product for more than a year. I personally do not believe in the squaretrade warranty and think they are for suckers.

I'm thinking of getting a HD TV for my bedroom. Mostly to look at some Netflix stuff and regular HD TV, but I may end up getting another 360 for the room at some point. I'm looking at the following TVs from New Egg. Any opinions:

Toshiba 32" 720p LCD HDTV 32C100U for $308

Toshiba 37" 1080p LCD TV 37E200U for $495

Vizio 37" 1080p 60Hz LCD HDTV E370VA for $509

I actually tend to like the Plasma pictures better, but I want something lighter since I might hang it on the wall and even if not, it will be on top of a chest of draws.

Oh, I'm particularly interested in sound quality since I will not be hooking up surround sound and will go with the TV sound.

It's interesting, and telling how the Toshiba's do not even list the brightness on their lcd's from your link(but the Vizio does)..something to hide, perhaps?

A good brightness is an amazingly under-rated stat and means a hell of a lot. So based on that info I'd go with the Vizio.

I'm a bit confused. Which is better: LED or LCD? Also is a 3d TV viable atm? Or is waiting a while for the bugs to get worked out?

I'm pretty certain a LED is basically the same as an LCD, but a LED is thinner. So there are models that have a lcd and led version that are similiar in specs, but the LED will cost more...a lot more, and not look any better. It's just physically thinner. Keep in mine the LCD is plenty thin enough already to hang on a wall..

the key is if you find a LED you like, ask to see the LCD version with the same specs...you'll save hundreds of dollars. Unless you're the sort of person that has to have the best of everything regardless of whether it's a good buy or not.

I'm pretty certain a LED is basically the same as an LCD, but a LED is thinner. So there are models that have a lcd and led version that are similiar in specs, but the LED will cost more...a lot more, and not look any better. It's just physically thinner. Keep in mine the LCD is plenty thin enough already to hang on a wall..

the key is if you find a LED you like, ask to see the LCD version with the same specs...you'll save hundreds of dollars. Unless you're the sort of person that has to have the best of everything regardless of whether it's a good buy or not.

Is this true? Back in the day I kept up with everything but I've been way out of the loop lately...especially since LCD/LED became affordable. I'm kicking around the idea of getting a new TV or two or three and this is a big question for me.

Is this true? Back in the day I kept up with everything but I've been way out of the loop lately...especially since LCD/LED became affordable. I'm kicking around the idea of getting a new TV or two or three and this is a big question for me.

Well, it was true last year when I bought a nice 55 inch samsung lcd. The LED version was exactly the same in quality, EXACTLY..but it costed like 600 dollars more just for being a few inches thinner. Imho, it was stupid to spend that considering the LCD was plenty thin enough already.

I think LED refers to the backlighting of the TV. But I really don't know much about the technology other than it looks great.

Edit: Yep - here you go: http://www.differencebetween.net/object/difference-between-lcd-and-led-televisions/

Interesting.

when I bought my LCD samsung the salesman just showed me the specs of both the LED and LCD, they were the same.

If the difference is the backlight, I didn't notice a difference at all on the showroom floor between the 2 based on quality. The LED was actually a few inches thinner and cosmetically looked a little different with the light on the edges(which from my eye and a few others was strictly a cosmetic thing). Other than that, they looked exactly the same based on PICTURE QUALITY.

Interesting.

when I bought my LCD samsung the salesman just showed me the specs of both the LED and LCD, they were the same.

If the difference is the backlight, I didn't notice a difference at all on the showroom floor between the 2 based on quality. The LED was actually a few inches thinner and cosmetically looked a little different with the light on the edges(which from my eye and a few others was strictly a cosmetic thing). Other than that, they looked exactly the same.

Specs in terms of contrast and refresh rate are probably the same, since the LCD engine is the same. I suspect the LED backlighting will make some of those specs pop differently.

Remember, too, that the pictures in the store are juiced and the lighting is much different than in your home.

But I would agree with you that it's arguable whether the extra money for LED is worth it at this point, unless maybe you're looking for something 3D or whatever. But that's a different discussion.

Specs in terms of contrast and refresh rate are probably the same, since the LCD engine is the same. I suspect the LED backlighting will make some of those specs pop differently.

Remember, too, that the pictures in the store are juiced and the lighting is much different than in your home.

But I would agree with you that it's arguable whether the extra money for LED is worth it at this point, unless maybe you're looking for something 3D or whatever. But that's a different discussion.

Yeah, I believe the LED just looks a lot cleaner cosmetically....

I do admit if money was no object, sure, get the LED. It's thinner and just looks a little more polished. Think of it like better looking furniture...

the thing is the lcd is not that much thicker, and it hardly looks that messy or ugly..the difference is minimial considering how much more money they want.

To be fair, both pictures were "juiced" as you say so at least on their playing field, they were the same- side by side when you base it on picture quality.

LEDs are most certainly different due to the light source, as buzd indicates. LEDs are naturally brighter while consuming less energy.

The thing you need to watch with LEDs is that they sell some edge-lit versions which are a lot cheaper than LEDs that feature more complicated lighting distributed along the entire back of the panel. For obvious reasons, edge-lit tvs leave something to be desired in picture quality. The light isn't even throughout the panel.

I'm not sure about this, but I think LEDs are superior not only because led lights are naturally brighter, but because they also can be blocked easier and more consistently. LCDs have to block light from a constant light source to create colors, and they generally struggle with black levels because of this "always on" light source. (plasmas don't have this problem as each individual pixel is its own light source that can be on or off independently). I think LED light is easier to block in addition to being brighter, because of its wavelength.

So I think thats where the LED superiority comes from among LCDs. But don't quote me.

Specs in terms of contrast and refresh rate are probably the same, since the LCD engine is the same. I suspect the LED backlighting will make some of those specspop differently.

You said "pop" to Sack. Heh. Will it make his Blops load times pop more?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom