tennis question (1 Viewer)

2fya

Bench Warmer
Reaction score
me and a few of my friends were playing doubles a couple of hours ago, and he had a pretty heated argument about one of the points. i need someone who knows the rules to help us settle this. here goes......

my teammate was playing the net, and the ball was hit to him, so he slammed it right at the feet of one of the other players. his body and racquet never touched the net, but his racquet went over the plane of the net. what is the call? is it legal or illegal for a person or his/her racquet to break the plane of the net, but never touch it. any advice would be appreciated

can't break the plane of the net regardless of whether you hit it or not... imagine an imaginary wall going all the way up..if it goes past that wall it's loss of point...

Illegal. The player and his racquet must stay on his side of the net.

By the way, I've learned it's best to just re-play the point instead of arguing with each other ;)

By the way, I've learned it's best to just re-play the point instead of arguing with each other ;)

thanks guys. yea we replayed the point. we arent that serious about tennis though, its just that we usually just like to argue....

This is the correct call... it is one of the reasons the judge sits where he does ..

I had a similar question .. I was playing in a league and we both rushed the net and one of my shots hit his arm and fell on my side... I gave him the point but still wonder what the "official" call should be....

as I understand your racquet cannot cross the plane of the net, and you your clothes and your racquet all can not touch the net.

Actually you can cross the plane of the net with your raquet on the follow through as long as you make contact with the ball on your side of the net.

Actually you can cross the plane of the net with your raquet on the follow through as long as you make contact with the ball on your side of the net.

That is correct.

ok thanks. that just decided our argument then.

does anyone know the call for hammernnails situation? wut would the call be if the ball hit someone's arm and went over the net?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom