Tent Camping in LA or MS (1 Viewer)

Soundwave

Terribly Vexed
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Anybody know any good spots to go?

Looking for fairly primitive, somewhat secluded, and preferably by water.

When i was a kid we use to go camping at Hide A Way Lake in Miss. you could fish or swim in the lake and We always had a bonefire, not sure if you can still do that or if they built it up.

Chicot State Park has some really great 'backcountry' spots. You have to stop at the station and get a permit. But then you can park your car in a lot and hike out a mile or so with your gear to these nice and secluded spots, directly on peninsulas on the lake. My wife and I had an awesome time and it was just what we wanted in terms of primitive camping and feeling at least some distance from others. The only issue we had was people who were frogging in boats at night near our area. But even then it wasn't bad.

https://freecampsites.net/#!Louisiana&query=region

Lots of places like Chicot, Kitsatchie, Toledo Bend, Poverty Point, etc. If you don't need things like electric and toilets, try a BLM site.

Chicot State Park has some really great 'backcountry' spots. You have to stop at the station and get a permit. But then you can park your car in a lot and hike out a mile or so with your gear to these nice and secluded spots, directly on peninsulas on the lake. My wife and I had an awesome time and it was just what we wanted in terms of primitive camping and feeling at least some distance from others. The only issue we had was people who were frogging in boats at night near our area. But even then it wasn't bad.
Will definitely look up Chicot. Thanks.

Had been looking at Stuart Lake in Kisatchie and Rocky Springs in MS.

I have a friend who has a backyard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you aren't completely restricted to land id recommend cat or ship island.

I haven't been out to horn lately but I want to say it's probably not doable by kayak (I've gone on camping trips to cat on kayak twice and ship is right across from it).

Anyway, great fishing and hiking as long as the weather cooperates.

I haven't been out to horn lately but I want to say it's probably not doable by kayak (I've gone on camping trips to cat on kayak twice and ship is right across from it).

Horn is doable by an experienced kayaker.

SHHHH!! You are giving away our secret!!!

Long-time Gulf Islands National Seashore camper here, but by motorboat. See pics below. Have camped on every one of the islands in the chain (Cat, Ship, Horn and Petit Bois) as well as Deer Island just off the coast from Biloxi. It is a beautiful experience to set up camp, watch the sunset, and sit by a campfire on the beach with stars in the sky and the waves lapping nearby.

A few notes:

-- All of Horn, Ship and Petit Bois are in the Gulf Islands National Seashore, Cat is is a mixture of Nat'l seashore, State of Mississippi, and private. Nat'l Seashore camping regulations apply-- NO GLASS, fires only allowed below high tide line, no pets, etc. You can check their website for details.

-- You can camp on East Ship, but not West Ship (the one the ferry goes to).

-- There is actually a point where Horn Island is closest to the mainland called Belle Fontaine Pointe. It's only 6.25 miles from there to Horn Island. This is actually less than the closest distance between Cat Island and the mainland (the island 's north point and the tip of the Gulfport Harbor). There is also road with shoulder parking that runs next to a small beach at Belle Fontaine where you can launch a kayak.

-- Might also suggest a canoeing camping trip. Joe Feil at Wolf River Canoes in Long Beach can set you up with a overnight trip for about $100.

Attachments

• 7. What it's all about.jpg
    7. What it's all about.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 7
  • Petit Bois.jpg
    Petit Bois.jpg
    131 KB · Views: 8

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom