Terence Crutcher, unarmed man, shot by a Tulsa police officer (update: Officer Betty Shelby charged with manslaughter) (1 Viewer)

Domefan504

SR is my life!
Reaction score
Not good. DOJ investigating. Police chief says he will not hide anything.

Terence Crutcher, unarmed man, shot by Oklahoma police, prompting Justice Department investigation | NOLA.com

Tulsa, Oklahoma, police released video footage Monday that shows a white police officer fatally shooting an unarmed black man - footage that the city's police chief called "very disturbing."

"It's very difficult to watch," Police Chief Chuck Jordan said at a news conference Monday. "The first time I watched it I watched it with the family . . . we will do the right thing, we will not cover anything up."

Jordan said investigators never found a weapon on Terence Crutcher or in his vehicle after the 40-year-old was shot and killed Friday as he stood beside his stalled SUV.

Crutcher died in a hospital later that evening.

Warning video is graphic

[MOD-EDIT - it's also autoplay. Available at the above link]

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Hands up. Still shot down in Tulsa. Add <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/TerenceCrutcher?src=hash">#TerenceCrutcher</a> to list of unarmed black men publicly executed by police. <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/DOJ?src=hash">#DOJ</a> do something. <a href="https://t.co/8CBhBRnJwt">pic.twitter.com/8CBhBRnJwt</a></p>&mdash; Rev Jesse Jackson Sr (@RevJJackson) <a href="https://twitter.com/RevJJackson/status/778201394004144128">September 20, 2016</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

I don't have the benefit of being able to listen. I was able to watch it for a bit.

Was he talking to them? He has his hands up, walks to the SUV, why did he go to the drivers side window? Was he being weird?

I know officers can fear that if you're reaching for something in the vehicle, it can be a weapon, but seriously, chill out a second.

I hear someone say he was tasered. Was that before or after he was shot?

That looks horrible. he had his hands up, at least for a while. Was he being ordered to walk to his car?

More importantly, why were the officers after him?

Window was up - kept walking toward the car even as officers were trying to get him to stop. I can't tell but the helicopter camera, it appears as though his right arm was down moments before being shot (not justifying the shooting) - curious if there is a body camera that would give a better understanding of what prompted the officer to fire.

personally think the officer will end up facing manslaughter charges and from what I can tell, rightfully so. It wouldn't surprise me if the explanation they end up giving is that the officer believed in the heat of the moment that they had their tazer in hand rather than the pistol.

I hear someone say he was tasered. Was that before or after he was shot?

That looks horrible. he had his hands up, at least for a while. Was he being ordered to walk to his car?

More importantly, why were the officers after him?

my understanding was that the vehicle was stopped in the middle of the road, another individual saw him running away from the vehicle explaining that it was about to explode, and that individual thought he was smoking something. I think the "explode" part is why there were the number of officers there and the helicopter response as well.

One of two witnesses who reported the car blocking traffic on 36th St. N told a 911 dispatcher a man had fled from the car, telling her it was going to explode.

"He took off running," the woman said. "He just left it. I think he's smoking something."

my understanding was that the vehicle was stopped in the middle of the road, another individual saw him running away from the vehicle explaining that it was about to explode, and that individual thought he was smoking something. I think the "explode" part is why there were the number of officers there and the helicopter response as well.

So what crime was he suspected of having committed that warranted him being a suspect that needed to be detained?

So what crime was he suspected of having committed that warranted him being a suspect that needed to be detained?

I'm not a police officer nor was I involved in the process for them to make that determination, so why are you asking me?

He asked a question about why were the officers after him, I responded with what I had read regarding why the police responded. I don't know that they were after him nor do I have a clue what prompted them to attempt to detain him. I don't know why they shot him. What I do know is that I saw video of him walking to his car with his hands up over his head, he had his hands on the vehicle at one point, and to me it appears he had lowered his right hand at one point prior to being shot (no idea if that is why he was shot). There isn't enough video to show what may have prompted the shooting because there was horrible video angles at that time (from what has been released). I don't believe the shooting was justified and I believe the officer will/should face manslaughter charges based off what I've seen.

it appears that one officer tazed him and the other officer immediately shot him. Its something called sympathetic fire, meaning she heard the tazer fire and immediately fired her gun in response to that sound. Officers are trained and taught about this all the time. if this is the case she was not following good tactics. Very said, probably will face criminal charges.

I would like to know more about the statement about him saying the car was going to blow up.

I never understand why people don't cooperate. lack of cooperation does not justify shooting someone, but with the way things are now days I'm not going do anything to give anyone any kind of reason to shoot me.

As I disturbing as the video is. I'm more haunted by the commentary. Just plain infuriating. I wish people were as outraged by this as they are about who takes a knee during the anthem. I'm a marine, I just finished my Master degree, I'm marrying the love of my life in a few months and none of it means anything if the wrong person thinks I look threatening. I've had the honor of serving my country for the past 11 years and at moments like this I feel no safer for it. The most patriotic thing a person can do is constantly demand better of his/her country

it appears that one officer tazed him and the other officer immediately shot him. Its something called sympathetic fire, meaning she heard the tazer fire and immediately fired her gun in response to that sound. Officers are trained and taught about this all the time. if this is the case she was not following good tactics. Very said, probably will face criminal charges.

I would like to know more about the statement about him saying the car was going to blow up.

I never understand why people don't cooperate. lack of cooperation does not justify shooting someone, but with the way things are now days I'm not going do anything to give anyone any kind of reason to shoot me.

Because some people are mentally disturbed, drunk, high on narcotics, have bad hearing, have bad eyesight, very young, police giving orders are not in uniform and haven't shown a badge, police giving unlawful orders.

Lots of reasons other than someone just willfully disobeying. LE is trained on handling these situations without first resorting to flying bullets correct?

Because some people are mentally disturbed, drunk, high on narcotics, have bad hearing, have bad eyesight, very young, police giving orders are not in uniform and haven't shown a badge, police giving unlawful orders.

Lots of reasons other than someone just willfully disobeying. LE is trained on handling these situations without first resorting to flying bullets correct?

Sorry, sauce. Misfired the red thumb. Mea culpa.

i Its something called sympathetic fire, meaning she heard the tazer fire and immediately fired her gun in response to that sound. Officers are trained and taught about this all the time.

Just to clarify: when you say "officers are trained and taught about this all the time", you mean they are trained and taught to NOT fire immediately when they hear a tazer, correct?

See? That's an issue right there. You really can't understand how someone could lose his/her cool when they know they could be shot and killed because the allegedly trained officer pointing the gun at them can shoot them without a real cause, had a bad day, wife's leaving, whatever, as it happens over, and over, and over... especially if one's skin is dark...

Do you not think this man was aware of Arlon Sterling, Tamir Rice, et al? Do you not think this man became afraid for his life the moment the police arrived?

From BBC he seems less like he was being willfully disobedient and more like he just didn't want to be standing next to a car he was afraid would blow up. Either way if my car breaks down I honestly don't know what to do anymore

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom