Terrance Copper hometown paper interview: “I’m living my dream right now." (1 Viewer)

DadsDream

Dreaming of a SAINTS Super Bowl!
Reaction score
A nice little hometown paper interview with TC, from Washington, North Carolina.

WASHINGTON (NC) DAILY NEWS ONLINE
Copper tells kids they can attain their dreams
By KEVIN TRAVIS, Sports Editor
January 21, 2008

Terrance Copper knows that he’s one of the lucky few.

Just 0.08 percent of high school seniors who play interscholastic football will eventually be drafted by an NFL team. That’s approximately eight in every 10,000 players who will get the chance.

Copper took an even more difficult path, making an NFL team through free agency. The former star at Washington High School and East Carolina University recently completed his fourth year in the NFL, including his second with the New Orleans Saints.

“You never take it for granted,” Copper said. “I didn’t get drafted so I didn’t come in with a silver spoon in my mouth. I have a family to take care of so you can’t take anything for granted.

“I’m living my dream right now. Once you start taking stuff for granted, that’s when it’s going to slip through your hands.”

While Copper’s skills obviously helped him progress from high school to college to the pros, he said that’s only half the battle. To stick on a high school team and then to advance to a college team, doing well in school is vital.

“You have to have your grades,” Copper said. “Your grades just don’t pick up in college. You have to start having good grades in middle school and when you get to high school, it just rolls over.

“I grew up in Washington, North Carolina, right on Seventh Street, and I hung out with the fellas when I was young. But when it was time for me to get down to business, I knew how to separate stuff and do what I had to do. All throughout my years, I wasn’t the best player on the team, but I was fortunate enough to have the grades and be blessed enough to get looked at by college teams.”

READ MORE
http://www.wdnweb.com/articles/2008/01/21/sports/sports01.txt

Great interview with a great guy who clearly has his morals in place.
I hope we keep him this offseason because he is a great player.

I loved this:

“I was running toward the sideline and Urlacher hit me,” Copper said. “He put his helmet on the back of my head. When I hopped back up, I was dizzy and woozy. The next play we had to punt. I just walked up and lined in punt formation and I didn’t know what was going on.

“When they did punt the ball, I just did what everyone else was doing, which was running down the field. I was just running.”

He had a concussion. :9:

Good read, thanks for sharing.

And I'd like to see it work out where Copper can come back for depth. Seems like a hardworking guy, comfortable in a support role, and knows the system.

I haven't looked at his stats, but he seems to be very effective on special teams. He's a reasonably reliable receiver as well. Who can forget the Hail Mary pass he caught? :9: Frankly, I think he could be a fourth receiver on this team after Colston, Meachem, and Patten. The article makes it obvious that he's a good guy too.

Thanks for the linkage. Copper is a special teams beast, is always blocking downfield for somebody or other, and may have saved the game against PHI in the playoffs in 2006 when he jumped on Bush's fumble. I hope to see him in the Black and Gold next year!

I thought he would be our no. 2 WR last year and still believe he could do well in that role if given the chance. He's solid.

I would personally love to have him back. Solid receiver, good on special teams, and knows the system.

I'm all for him "living his dream" but he needs to do it as the 4th or 5th receiver. Gotta get some better talent out there.

I would personally love to have him back. Solid receiver, good on special teams, and knows the system.

Me too. I must admit I was kind of surprised he didn't beat out Lance Moore for the #3 WR spot coming out TC. He always looked good when given a chance. When Moore took over for Devery I was surprised Copper didn't move up and split time with Moore. He's much bigger than Moore (Copper 6', 207 Moore 5' 9" 190). Payton would always put Copper in to catch those bullet slant passes. Finally the kid is great special teamer, I hope they can keep him around.......

agreed goldrush.. he's fine for what he is a special teamer, and occassional outlet reciever.

I loved this:

“I was running toward the sideline and Urlacher hit me,” Copper said. “He put his helmet on the back of my head. When I hopped back up, I was dizzy and woozy. The next play we had to punt. I just walked up and lined in punt formation and I didn’t know what was going on.

“When they did punt the ball, I just did what everyone else was doing, which was running down the field. I was just running.”

He had a concussion. :9:

At least he didn't pull a Taylor Jacobs.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom