Terrell Davis; now eligible. (1 Viewer)

saintsfan342000

The Voice of Reason
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Do you think TD ought to be inducted into the HOF? Many people will say no becuase he only played 6 seasons and was only dominant for 3 seasons. But I think he deserves to be enshrined in Canton. Besides the fact that he was absolutely instrumental in 2 SB championships, and was unquestionably the league's best back for two seasons, and look at his career postseason numbers. In 8 playoff games, he rushed for over 1100 yards and had 12 touchdowns! Now those are some sick numbers. He topped 100 yards in 7 of his 8 playoff games.

People will say that he was just another product of the Denver running game, and that he was too short lived to make it, but people need to realize the importance of big game players and winners. Troy Aikman's career numbers are weak, but he was a winner, as was Davis. Anyone who thinks Tiki Barber should go had better support TD going.

Frankly, #s wise Aikman doesn't deserve to be in the Hall of Fame, you are correct. So, that does raise a good argument for Davis...but personally I wouldn't vote for him right now, as great as he was. I just don't think he did quite enough to get it in. But he certainly deserves consideration, and a good argument could certainly change my mind.

not as a 1st ballot. I believe 1st balloters should have the numbers and the wins.

not as a 1st ballot. I believe 1st balloters should have the numbers and the wins.

I think the whole "first ballot" idea in general I think is bogus. A Hall of Famer is a Hall of Famer, straight up. There aren't classes of HOFers in my mind. Saying "This guy was good, but not great, so we'll put him in but make him wait a while" lowers the legitimacy of the HOF.

you dont get in the hall of fame for a few good years.... people are too quick to label players as hall of famers.

First off, I like Terrell Davis.. I remember when he Came from Long Beach St. to UGA. I remember him taking over for Garrison Hearst. I remember thinking when he was drafted the the Broncos made a solid pick. I always liked him. As a draft evaluator, I always saw talent in him, plus he's a good guy. Having said that, he'll be kept out of Canton (rightfully so) for several reasons. He only played a short while and was only dominant for an even shorter period, as stated earlier; however, he also played for the Broncos. I think most, if not all, football fans see what type of offense Shanahan run in Denver and that being highly productive there is more a product of the system than overall greatness. The reason players like Jerome Bettis and Curtis Martin will be in the HOF is because they showed persistance, consistency, and durability. Although I like Davis, he is in no shape of the imagination the same player as Curtis Martin, Jerome Bettis, or Corey Dillon. Look at an old Saint, George Rogers. Until Deuce, he was the Saints all-time leading rusher. For a short period of time (approx. 6 years) he was a dominant and destructive RB in this league. He led the league in rushing. He was rookie of the year. He won a super bowl with the Redskins. But he is not HOF material, as much as I loved watching him play and hate saying he shouldn't be in the HOF, he shouldn't. Neither is Terrell Davis..

Last edited:
To short a career. He was the best back in the NFL but never dominated or had the impact someone like Gale Sayers or Jim Brown did. His seasons weren't anymore dominant then Marshall Faulks stretch or Tiki Barbers stretch and both of them played for much longer (Faulk especially).

No

Maybe I didn't watch enough Broncos games, but Davis never really impressed me as back. There was nothing really that special about him, except his speed. But tons of backs have speed. He didn't seem like a great tackle breaker like Brown or juker like Sanders. He was not that threat out of the backfield that Faulk was. It seems like it was the case that half the backs in the NFL at the time could have put up the numbers he did behind that OL and scheme. It also didn't hurt to have Elway under center. Look at the numbers for the other backs that played as his backup, or around the time or just after he got hurt:

Year Player Att Yards Avg TD
1995 Terrell Davis 237 1117 4.7 7
1995 Aaron Craver 73 333 4.6 5
1996 Terrell Davis 345 1538 4.5 13
1996 Vaughn Hebron 49 262 5.3 0
1997 Terrell Davis 369 1750 4.7 15
1997 Vaughn Hebron 49 222 4.5 1
1998 Terrell Davis 392 2008 5.1 21
1999 Olandis Gary 276 1159 4.2 7
1999 Terrell Davis 67 211 3.1 2
1999 Derek Loville 40 203 5.1 1
2000 Mike Anderson 297 1487 5.0 15
2000 Terrell Davis 78 282 3.6 2
2001 Terrell Davis 167 701 4.2 0
2001 Mike Anderson 175 678 3.9 4
2001 Olandis Gary 57 228 4.0 1
2002 Clinton Portis 273 1508 5.5 15
2002 Mike Anderson 84 386 4.6 2
2002 Olandis Gary 37 147 4.0 1
2003 Clinton Portis 290 1591 5.5 14

Well maybe Portis makes the HOF, but Mike Anderson and Vaugh Hebron certainly don't. And look at how Portis's numbers fell after he left Denver:

2004 Clinton Portis 343 1,315 3.8 5
2005 Clinton Portis 352 1,516 4.3 11

That leads me to believe that Denver's blocking/scheme makes backs look super human when they are really just above average. And if I was voting that certaintly make me thing twice about putting him in.

This is actually being debated in Denver on the talk radio, from time to time.

The fans seem to hope, but believe reserved to the fact that he ultimately wont make it. I hate the Broncos with all that I am but I have prolly seen a million freaking Broncos games (the best was school going to on Monday after those three SuperBlowouts the broncos took). TD was a bad man

The biggest argument for him, is the fact that he would be the only 2000+ yard rusher NOT to be in the hall.

No. He got hurt, and that is unfortunate. However, his numbers are not good enough, and part of being a Hall of Famer is good luck with injuries.

I think the whole "first ballot" idea in general I think is bogus. A Hall of Famer is a Hall of Famer, straight up. There aren't classes of HOFers in my mind. Saying "This guy was good, but not great, so we'll put him in but make him wait a while" lowers the legitimacy of the HOF.
Great point.

No way in hell would i vote him in, he had the 2000yrd season but that was about it. the other seasons he had were not HOF type seasons.

Rickey Jackson needs in ASAP, he was a great player for along time.

Product of the system. After he went down, the Broncos never even blinked as far as the running game goes. No way should he even be mentioned on a HOF list.

Durability is part of it so I say no to T.D. Not to thread jack but a big no to Tiki as well.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom