Terron Armstead was sick in December (1 Viewer)

Correct, he’d be in the mid 30s easy

You would be dead wrong....

He was 17.5% when we drafted him, he is in better shape now, he may even be below 15%....

We are talking 2 different measures.....BMI is probably more useful for normal non-athletes....but it doesn't take into account what weight is muscle and what weight is fat, so for athletes it is not as important nor as good a measure as body fat percentage/index....see the article below....

Last edited:
The point is. Armstead quite possibly may have had the virus. I know health officials are very concerned for the OLinemen and DLinemen, because of their general obesity. This is where I think, the NFL will take the initial hit. In one of the obese players, or more. God forbid, one or more die. The NFL will be in deep doo doo.

While they are some VERY big boys I hardly think that anyone would classify them as being obese.

Even though they do carry a bit more bulk and mass they are still world class athletes.

Sumo wrestlers are obese........................NFL offensive and defensive linemen not so much.

Not getting into the obesity debate at all.....because I do know the height/weight thing gets pretty tricky with that.....but talk about a guy who looks anything but:

1593903572028.png

Whole OL must have had whatever Terron had for that Minnesota game

Had a friend that was as sick as I have known someone to be, back in February. Ran a low grade fever of 100, for 3 days. Began feeling really bad on day 3 of the fever, just thinking it would go away. Never really been sick in his life! Got lucky and went to his regular Dr. Was so sick, his Dr. wanted to send him to the hospital in an ambulance. Said no, I will have my wife bring me. Was in hospital for 4 days. Type A flu and double pneumonia. Looking back, he thinks he may have had the virus, but they were not testing for the virus then. I would bet that many thousands of people who were sick back in late last year and the first 2-2.5 months of this year and were tested for the flu. Ended up with pneumonia and could have also had the virus. Once the pneumonia was diagnosed, his doctor probably just thought...ok, we found the issue and did not dig any deeper, for obvious reasons. Could have very well died!

The point is. Armstead quite possibly may have had the virus. I know health officials are very concerned for the OLinemen and DLinemen, because of their general obesity. This is where I think, the NFL will take the initial hit. In one of the obese players, or more. God forbid, one or more die. The NFL will be in deep doo doo.

Never thought of OL or DL as obese. I have a friend who plays DT for the Jags this year. Weve worked out together. I promise very little of that 310 lbs is fat.
But your point is valid.

I understand, but his BMI certainly puts him in the obese percentage.
I figure it's like sumo wrestlers. They're absolutely trained athletes in good health...so long as they remain active and train. But once they retire, they need to stop consuming all the calories they did before or they start getting the other health effects of being that weight.

I figure it's like sumo wrestlers. They're absolutely trained athletes in good health...so long as they remain active and train. But once they retire, they need to stop consuming all the calories they did before or they start getting the other health effects of being that weight.

EXACTLY!

Medically obese doesn't mean not athletic.
I defy anyone to say that a Sumo wrestler is not BOTH morbidly obese & extremely athletic.
There are HUNDREDS of obese men in the NFL. ALL of them are very athletic @ the TOP of the game.
Humans aren't meant to be that big. All of the healthy linemen that retire shrink considerably(or suffer).

Y'all need to understand that nobody is calling him fat & doddering, just an easy observation to make.
Armstead is immensely strong & fast, just look what tore his Pec,(1 handed body slam of DE). No matter how strong the muscle tissue, you can't equally strengthen ligaments/tendons.

Reggie White died because he couldn't breath, during a nap. He had Apnea & wasn't using his CPAP. He was losing weight after retirement, but he still had issues related to obesity. He never looked "fat", but his doctor(& the coroner) disagreed.

Nice facepalm Tinman, so just to show how wrong you really are regarding using BMI as the sole measure of obesity for all (including athletes). The following article has some interesting info I thought I would share with you, basically, using BMI, every NFL starting QB is overweight, and Russell Wilson (who is undoubtedly among the top 3 best conditioned athlete) is considered obese.

Also, as one could probably suspect, a good percentage of RB's are obese as well....

Do you still really believe BMI is an accurate measure of health, shape and condition for athletes (and that almost all are overweight or obese)? If I'm missing something here, please let me know.....

He's one of the most athletically gifted O-linemen in the league. A obese person is not going to run a 4.8 at the combine. Please stop this crap
Athletic does not mean you cannot be in the obese range. You are incorrect.

EXACTLY!

Medically obese doesn't mean not athletic.
I defy anyone to say that a Sumo wrestler is not BOTH morbidly obese & extremely athletic.
There are HUNDREDS of obese men in the NFL. ALL of them are very athletic @ the TOP of the game.
Humans aren't meant to be that big. All of the healthy linemen that retire shrink considerably(or suffer).

Y'all need to understand that nobody is calling him fat & doddering, just an easy observation to make.
Armstead is immensely strong & fast, just look what tore his Pec,(1 handed body slam of DE). No matter how strong the muscle tissue, you can't equally strengthen ligaments/tendons.

Reggie White died because he couldn't breath, during a nap. He had Apnea & wasn't using his CPAP. He was losing weight after retirement, but he still had issues related to obesity. He never looked "fat", but his doctor(& the coroner) disagreed.

This is not what I'm arguing, I agree that once they retire, stop training constantly and the muscle turns to fat it is a problem. No argument there.

But while they are playing, in game shape where they have a high percentage of muscle to fat, I believe the consensus is that BMI is not an accurate measure for athletes....

Athletic does not mean you cannot be in the obese range. You are incorrect.

No, he is not. BMI is not a catchall accurate measure for all athletes....below is a pretty good article explaining BMI relating to different sports/athletes....

I tested positive for type A back in late February of this year.
I'm 51 years old. I've had the flu several times in my life and never felt as bad as this last time.
Fairly certain that I had Covid-19.
It was so bad that I couldn't see straight a good portion of the time.

I got sick right around the first of March. Worst I've ever felt, and I get chronic bronchitis. Had a 102.9 fever for 4 days. I'd be cold and hot at the same time. Headaches were so bad I'd take sleep Medicine to try and sleep through them, and I was sleeping for 17-20 hours a day lol. Girlfriend thought I was messing around with being sick until she saw me. Considering when I got sick and where I work, I'm fairly certain I had it too.

He's one of the most athletically gifted O-linemen in the league. A obese person is not going to run a 4.8 at the combine. Please stop this crap

I get it, you don’t understand the meaning of obese other than just the common thinking that he’s just fat.

He’s 100% obese going off his BMI alone

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom