Terron Armstead? {Old thread bumped} (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Those numbers don't mean much on the isolation. Compare Armstead's availability to the average availability of all the other starting left tackles in the league over that same time period .

You might be surprised at what you discover.
Many other LTs aren't getting paid the money that Armstead is getting paid.

What a wasted first post. You join only to bump a necro-thread with your pessimism. :jpshakehead:
In a few years you will see that myself and some other posters were right. Armstead's ability could put him in the HOF. But he will not be remembered outside of Who Dat nation once he retires.

In a few years you will see that myself and some other posters were right. Armstead's ability could put him in the HOF. But he will not be remembered outside of Who Dat nation once he retires.

And in a few years I'm sure no one will be patting you on the back for "being right" other than yourself.

For comparisons sakes though, what are your thoughts about Tyron Smith? He's missed 9 games over the last 3 years. He's the highest paid player on the Cowboys.

How about Trent Williams? He's missed 9 games in the last 2 seasons, 13 games over the last 3 years, and 16 games over the last 5 seasons. He's the 2nd highest paid player on the Redskins, technically the highest since Alex Smith is likely going to miss most of this year.

How about Duane Brown? He's missed 10 games over the last 3 seasons. He's the 3rd highest paid player on the Seahawks.

How about Jason Peters? He's missed 9 games in the last 2 seasons. He's the 6th highest paid player on the Eagles.

How about Anthony Castonzo? He missed 5 games last year. He's the 4th highest paid player on the Colts.

Once you come outside your little bubble, you'll realize LT is one of (if not THE) the most grueling and physically demanding positions in the game today due to the sheer passing nature today's football has become. Not every one can be Willie Roaf.

Those numbers don't mean much on the isolation. Compare Armstead's availability to the average availability of all the other starting left tackles in the league over that same time period .

Can you just save us all some work and give us the numbers?

To my untrained eye Armstead’s problem is obvious and yet critical to how he plays. The guy goes full out every practice, every ply like he’s a walk-on fighting for his position. That’s great, but the body cannot handle it. He has to figure out when a play needs everything he has, and when he can just be smart and run the guy out of a play and save himself. By not doing that, he increases his injuries. I’m kinda getting the feeling that Peat is the same way. When he’s out there doing his thing he’s very good, much better than people on this board give him credit for. But he, like Armstead get beat up a lot because of it.

Exactly, LT along with RB seems to be the most injury prone positions....but don't try to argue facts with soothsayers!!!!!! when Armstead is on the field our offensive goes from just very good to great. The other thing that is conveniently ignored is that Armstead playing in those 10-12 games we win most of them and go to the playoffs.

In a few years I'm hoping you will see that you were foolish and short sighted...no one knows Armstead's future as far as health goes but I'm willing to gamble that he has a few 12-14 game seasons left in him, when healthy he is the absolute best LT in the game and honestly I don't think it is close....

The human body can only do so much. LTs are giant men who line up against some of the quickest, bendiest, strongest, most athletic men on earth. The dont get spelled. They play every snap, and every snap is a all out rep. If they take one play off, their QB takes a big lick.

Peat gets injured as much as Armstead. But his serious injuries occur when hes playing LT.

And in a few years I'm sure no one will be patting you on the back for "being right" other than yourself.

For comparisons sakes though, what are your thoughts about Tyron Smith? He's missed 9 games over the last 3 years. He's the highest paid player on the Cowboys.

How about Trent Williams? He's missed 9 games in the last 2 seasons, 13 games over the last 3 years, and 16 games over the last 5 seasons. He's the 2nd highest paid player on the Redskins, technically the highest since Alex Smith is likely going to miss most of this year.

How about Duane Brown? He's missed 10 games over the last 3 seasons. He's the 3rd highest paid player on the Seahawks.

How about Jason Peters? He's missed 9 games in the last 2 seasons. He's the 6th highest paid player on the Eagles.

How about Anthony Castonzo? He missed 5 games last year. He's the 4th highest paid player on the Colts.

Once you come outside your little bubble, you'll realize LT is one of (if not THE) the most grueling and physically demanding positions in the game today due to the sheer passing nature today's football has become. Not every one can be Willie Roaf.

Tyron Smith has missed 8% of his regular season games. Trent Williams has missed 17% of his regular season games. Duane Brown has missed 18% of his regular season games. Jason Peters has missed 15% of his regular season games. Anthony Castonzo has missed 10% of his regular season games. Terron Armstead has missed 32% of his regular season games. I'm outside my bubble ;)

Exactly, LT along with RB seems to be the most injury prone positions....but don't try to argue facts with soothsayers!!!!!! when Armstead is on the field our offensive goes from just very good to great. The other thing that is conveniently ignored is that Armstead playing in those 10-12 games we win most of them and go to the playoffs.

In a few years I'm hoping you will see that you were foolish and short sighted...no one knows Armstead's future as far as health goes but I'm willing to gamble that he has a few 12-14 game seasons left in him, when healthy he is the absolute best LT in the game and honestly I don't think it is close....
WHEN HEALTHY he's the best LT. He can't be the best LT in the NFL by standing on the sidelines in street cloths 5-6 games a year,

WHEN HEALTHY he's the best LT. He can't be the best LT in the NFL by standing on the sidelines in street cloths 5-6 games a year,

Right, I don't think there is a Saint fan on the board that doesn't wish he could play all 16 games...my point (which you have ignored....again) is that if he doesn't play those 10-11 games a year we likely don't even make the playoffs...I'm sure you have his replacement in mind though because top 3 LT's are so easy to come by....

Tyron Smith has missed 8% of his regular season games. Trent Williams has missed 17% of his regular season games. Duane Brown has missed 18% of his regular season games. Jason Peters has missed 15% of his regular season games. Anthony Castonzo has missed 10% of his regular season games. Terron Armstead has missed 32% of his regular season games. I'm outside my bubble ;)

No no no no, don't crawfish on your argument now someone has provided the numbers that you're willfully ignoring to spew your fragmented rhetoric about Armstead. Here, let me quote your Bill Walsh quote for you to remind you of your stance.

Bill Walsh said it best "the best ABILITY is AVAILABILITY."

Castonzo missing 5 games last year means he missed 31.3% of the Colts' games in 2018. As a result, they ended up not winning their division considering they went 1-4 in the games he missed and only made the playoffs as a Wild Card. Had Castonzo been available prior to Week 6, the Colts could've won 2 more games (or at least the game against Texans they lost in OT) to win their division and get a home playoff game instead of having to go on the road to Houston.

Williams missing 9 games in the last 2 seasons, 13 games over the last 3 seasons, and 16 games over the last 5 seasons means he missed 28.1% of the Redskins' games between 2017 and 2018, 27.1% of the Redskins' games between 2016 and 2018, and 20.0% of the Redskins' games between 2014 and 2018. Had Williams been available between Weeks 9-11, maybe Alex Smith doesn't get gruesomely injured and the Redskins win that game against the Texans putting them 7-3 and maintaining their 1st place in the NFC East and likely go on to make the playoffs instead of leaving the Redskins QB-less.

Smith missing 9 games in the last 3 seasons means he missed 18.8% of the Cowboys' games between 2016 and 2018.

Brown missing 10 games in the last 3 years means he missed 20.8% of the Seahawks' and Texans' games between 2016 and 2018.

Peters missing 9 games in the last 2 years means he missed 28.1% of the Eagles' games in 2017 and 2018.

You keeps spouting about Armstead missing time but fail to acknowledge that nearly every single top-LT in the league has missed significant time due to injury at some point within the last 5 years.

The fact of the matter is you said Armstead wasn't available, well by YOUR OWN METRIC neither were a handful of the other top-LT's in the NFL. I guess no one outside of their respective fan bases will remember their name either when they retire, right? Or is that another one of your statements you're going to backtrack on? ?

'Cause I bet he is TheSaints7 returned from the land of the banned to continue his argument. ;)

I wouldn't doubt it one bit. The verbiage and argument is eerily similar. I hope the Andrus or one of the other mods can verify the IP and if so ban their dumb*** again.

Last edited:
Right, I don't think there is a Saint fan on the board that doesn't wish he could play all 16 games...my point (which you have ignored....again) is that if he doesn't play those 10-11 games a year we likely don't even make the playoffs...I'm sure you have his replacement in mind though because top 3 LT's are so easy to come by....
I agree. The guy is an amazing LT. His body just can not hold up to the pounding of the NFL. I just feel that he misses way too much time for the money that he is making. Way too much. If you start a sentence about Armstead with "when healthy" then I think that's a problem.

Trent Williams, Tyron Smith, Andre Whitworth....there are several LT that are as good, or close to it, as Armstead. Funny thing is most of these also have had injury problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom