Teryl Austin, another Black Coach given a sham interview (1 Viewer)

60minutes

Camp Body
Reaction score
One of the claims made by Brian Flores in the lawsuit he filed this week was that the Giants interviewed him for their head coaching job to satisfy the Rooney Rule after they’d already decided to hire Brian Daboll.

The agent for Steelers defensive backs coach Teryl Austin contends the Lions did the same thing with his client before hiring Matt Patricia in 2018. Agent Eric Metz told the Associated Press that General Manager Bob Quinn had already decided on Patricia before the interview with Austin, who had been the team’s defensive coordinator for four seasons, took place.

“Bob Quinn knew he was hiring Matt Patricia and used Teryl to comply with the Rooney Rule,” Metz said. “Didn’t work out well for the Lions. Never should’ve fired Jim Caldwell.”

So, I have a story to tell. Matt Patricia was hired in February 2018. When did I know he was getting the Lions Head Coaching job? In October 2016. Bob Quinn approached me and another person [who I will not name] about the Lions situation. He said that he was doing everything to make Jim Caldwell fail and that the team was planning to hire Matt Patricia along with several other New England people. He had already brought in Kyle O'Brien and wanted to add more people, such as Patricia and Dave Granito, who had been with the Patriots but who, at the time, was serving as Michigan's Head Athletic Trainer (eventually, they hired both). Unfortunately, for him, Caldwell led the Lions to playoffs. Quinn was irate about this. But appearances are everything so the Lions "rewarded" Caldwell with an extension even though Quinn knew the plan was still in place for Caldwell to be unsuccessful so that Patricia could be brought in.

The next season, the Lions finished second in the division again with a record of 9-7. Quinn's front office did everything to railroad Caldwell and it was obvious to some of the people in the building. For example, Galen Duncan, who had been the Lions' Senior Director of Player Engagement for over a decade, left to join the Sacramento Kings. Others took notice of that move because Galen had survived several regimes in Detroit. I remember talking to people in the building and the feeling was that it was a toxic culture. Make what you want of Caldwell, and I had not been the biggest fan of his as a coach, he is regarded as someone who truly cares about other people. In fact, my view of him was improved by the way that people from that organization talked about him, especially once he was fired for, as Quinn said and I'll never forget this, "not [being] good enough." It was a pathetic move and it was planned. Caldwell was fired with a winning record just so that Patricia could get the job.

And to worsen matters, they interviewed Teryl who was the Lions' defensive coordinator just so they could satisfy the Rooney Rule. I remember there being speculation about Matty Patricia going here and there to coach and I knew that he was headed to the Lions. In fact, if I am not mistaken, I think I even posted about it here back in 2018--about the fact that Quinn had planned to hire Patricia all along--though I did not go into this sort of detail for obvious reasons. But now that things are coming to light, then it makes sense to share some of the things I have witnessed firsthand. And quite honestly, I am not surprised to see Brian Flores and Hue Jackson allege that they were offered money to tank because it has been happening. I always wondered why so many people who I thought highly of--incredibly smart football people--would go to the Browns and all of a sudden make bad decisions. I even remember clowning Lake Dawson who spent two years with the Browns about this and all he could do is laugh and say "you don't know the half." In basketball, we all remember the Philadelphia 76ers tanking as a part of their "trust the process" strategy. Sure, it drew chuckles and criticisms. But some of us do not expect the same tactics to be true in the NFL. But there has been a lot of mess going on for a very long time--some of which the league knows about but all of which the league should clean up. We will see what comes of this moment but I am not holding my breath.

Last edited:
Doug Pederson won a super bowl and was out of a job three years later.

Its not all about race. Its about nfl being a business and the owners what results just like everyone on this board has to deal with at our own jobs.
It may not be all about race, BUT…….

The NFL has a diversity issue. This is no secret to most fans of the game. The NFL ownership for the most part is comprised of older white billionaires that have a bias when it comes to who coaches their teams. To have less than 5% minority coaches throughout the history of the league is ridiculous.

Last edited:
Ok, so

The NFL has a diversity issue. This is no secret to most fans of the game. The NFL for the most part is comprised of older white billionaires that have a bias when it comes to who coaches their teams. To have less than 5% minority coaches throughout the history of the league is ridiculous

The NFL has a diversity issue. This is no secret to most fans of the game. The NFL for the most part is comprised of older white billionaires that have a bias when it comes to who coaches their teams. To have less than 5% minority coaches throughout the history of the league is ridiculous.
That can be said about most corporations in america.

How do you take ownership away from someone

Doug Pederson won a super bowl and was out of a job three years later.

Its not all about race. Its about nfl being a business and the owners what results just like everyone on this board has to deal with at our own jobs.
It is not all about race. I made that clear yesterday in partially defending Stephen Ross. But there is a cult of familiarity that can create bias and inequity and lead to diversity and inclusion issues. I do not believe Quinn wanted Caldwell gone because he is black. I believe he wanted him gone because he wanted to work with his friends from New England--those with the same ideological stances and vision for building a team as him. The problem is he deliberately worked to railroad a coach who was arguably the Lions' most successful coach in quite some time. Jim Schwartz had that the only other winning season of the decade but otherwise his regime was unsuccessful. So, you have the Lions garner back-to-back winning seasons with a playoff appearance despite Quinn not providing Caldwell the things he asked for to be successful. Yet, Caldwell gets fired only for the Lions to bring in Patricia who won 14 games in three years.

The other thing is, Teryl has every right to be upset though I think a lot of that stems from the way that the Rooney Rule functions; it has not created the changes that it was designed to bring about. And I blame the league more than teams in this case. The league knows the interviews are shams. And if the Lions were going to hire Matty anywhere, it is almost like why even bother having to insult Austin with a sham interview?!

Last edited:
Is the

The NFL has a diversity issue. This is no secret to most fans of the game. The NFL for the most part is comprised of older white billionaires that have a bias when it comes to who coaches their teams. To have less than 5% minority coaches throughout the history of the league is ridiculous.
Is the NFL any different from any other profession? If I’m an owner and I want to hire a person why should it matter what color that person is? It’s dumb to “have” to interview a candidate bc of skin color. We make it about color. Is there racism in our country, yes but it goes all around. Does a rule that says you have to interview someone based off of anything other than merit add to that? I think it does. You put that rule or any other rule like it in place then it’s going to lead to that. Bringing in someone just bc they fit a predetermined criteria is not stopping racism. I’d almost guarantee you that you remove the Rooney Rule and there just as many minority coaches interviewed every year. What that changes if now they are interviewed off Merritt and talent. They are brought in bc they should be there and they never feel like they are only brought in bc of skin color, age, sex, etc.

I’ve never been a fan of the Rooney Rule. Not bc it isn’t intended to help minorities but because it leads to just what’s happening. Qualified candidates that feel (warranted and unwarranted) that they are brought in for reasons beyond their ability.

I’d hope the Saints would give him a “real interview” over Bieniemy!
They are. Right now, Dennis Allen and Aaron Glenn are probably the two leading candidates. But Mickey is serious about wanting someone who could lead the team for a long time.

And I also think this, it is a different league but the Pelicans have hired two black coaches since the Bensons took ownership. Even if they hired Allen, it wouldn't be because organizationally they are unwilling to have a black head coach. It is not how they operate. So, with EB, he will be given a chance to present himself just as Glenn and Flores have.

For the sake of the Saints, fans, and nfl, i hope we hire a black coach. To me, i just want to winner. If the coach is white, we continue to hear this. Just hire flores. Like I said, i will support anyone who wins.

Is the

Is the NFL any different from any other profession? If I’m an owner and I want to hire a person why should it matter what color that person is? It’s dumb to “have” to interview a candidate bc of skin color. We make it about color. Is there racism in our country, yes but it goes all around. Does a rule that says you have to interview someone based off of anything other than merit add to that? I think it does. You put that rule or any other rule like it in place then it’s going to lead to that. Bringing in someone just bc they fit a predetermined criteria is not stopping racism. I’d almost guarantee you that you remove the Rooney Rule and there just as many minority coaches interviewed every year. What that changes if now they are interviewed off Merritt and talent. They are brought in bc they should be there and they never feel like they are only brought in bc of skin color, age, sex, etc.

I’ve never been a fan of the Rooney Rule. Not bc it isn’t intended to help minorities but because it leads to just what’s happening. Qualified candidates that feel (warranted and unwarranted) that they are brought in for reasons beyond their ability.
I actually agree with a lot of this take. I understand what the rule is intended to do but the reality is that it is simply a box to check on the way to hiring the person that each team feels is right for their job. Now, I do think that is different from some of the railroading. Like the most powerful aspects of the allegations levied by Flores and now Jackson are that their respective bosses asked them to tank.

Is the

Get rid of the Rooney Rule and the sham interviews go away.

The Rooney Rule has not worked as it was intended to work. I think the rule was designed so that teams would be exposed to potential head coaching candidates and some of those candidates would really impress in their interviews and be hired. I think what has happened is teams decide who they are probably going to hire, bring in a parade of potential candidates, one of whom satisfies the Rooney Rule, and they hire the guy they intended to hire in the first place. It's possible that the best potential candidates who are "Rooney Rule Qualified" are not even being invited for interviews because they know, and the teams know, somebody else already has the job.

Scrap the rule. Put some other incentive on. Comp pick after the third round to start. See if that works? It's only a thought, because what they are doing now....it ain't working.

He's a Marine?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom