Tesla could be in trouble (1 Viewer)

I’m not an expert. I can only go by my own amateur observations. It worries me that the company has a market value 5x of Ford and GM combined, yet I don’t know anyone who owns a Tesla and I don’t know anyone who wants a Tesla.

😬

I know several people who own Teslas and there are at least 5 of them in the small parking garage for my building. I suspect being in Texas skews your anecdotal evidence.

Also, FWIW, it would not surprise me at all if China did this to try to cripple Tesla so that whatever Chineses company that makes electric cars can steal their market share in China and the world. The Chinese are well known protectionists and engage in predatory business and trade practices all the time.

I guess it remains to be seen if this is an issue specific to the Chinese manufactured models or those made in the US as well.

It remains to be seen if there really is an issue or if the Chinese are just doing this to help Chinese car companies. They care about fair trade practices about as much as they care about human rights.

Last edited:
I know several people who own Teslas and there are at least 5 of them in the small parking garage for my building. I suspect being in Texas skews your anecdotal evidence.

Yes, I am in Texas and that may certainly skew my perception. I do hear lots of Spacex rocket tests where I live, so they must be doing well 😀

It remains to be seen if there really is an issue or if the Chinese are just doing this to help Chinese car companies. The car fair trade practices about as much as they care about human rights.
This is what I was thinking when I saw the news and pick up some more NIO and LI.

Yes, I am in Texas and that may certainly skew my perception. I do hear lots of Spacex rocket tests where I live, so they must be doing well 😀

Personally, I think Teslas are way overpriced, but if someone ever figures out how to make batteries that either last longer or charge faster and make the prices similar to gas powered cars, I'd be down for an electric car. Those things have amazing amounts of power and it's instant power. Also they can do some amazing things with all wheel drive and separate motors for each wheel. The Porsche and Ferrari electric super cars apparently have amazing performance that is beyond their all gas cars. They use a hybrid system that charges the batteries with the gas engine and uses the electric motors to keep power on the wheeler while you are shifting gears for the gas engine.

In the short term, due to battery limitations, I think cars that let you use a gas engine to charge the batteries while driving or just use the electric motor is the way to go. That is until the battery tech is better. But, I think Tesla is all in on the fully electric system.

Personally, I think Teslas are way overpriced, but if someone ever figures out how to make batteries that either last longer or charge faster and make the prices similar to gas powered cars, I'd be down for an electric car. Those things have amazing amounts of power and it's instant power. Also they can do some amazing things with all wheel drive and separate motors for each wheel. The Porsche and Ferrari electric super cars apparently have amazing performance that is beyond their all gas cars. They use a hybrid system that charges the batteries with the gas engine and uses the electric motors to keep power on the wheeler while you are shifting gears for the gas engine.

In the short term, due to battery limitations, I think cars that let you use a gas engine to charge the batteries while driving or just use the electric motor is the way to go. That is until the battery tech is better. But, I think Tesla is all in on the fully electric system.

Yeah, I am a race fan and the Formula E cars are pretty amazing. Tesla keeps acting like they are going to jump into the Formula E game, but always back out for one reason or another. Honda is pulling out of Formula 1 in order to focus on electric batteries and such, which is an interesting recent development. Tesla better be ready to compete in a changing marketplace.

Yeah, I am a race fan and the Formula E cars are pretty amazing. Tesla keeps acting like they are going to jump into the Formula E game, but always back out for one reason or another. Honda is pulling out of Formula 1 in order to focus on electric batteries and such, which is an interesting recent development. Tesla better be ready to compete in a changing marketplace.

Yep. If the big Japanese or American car makers ever get serious about electric cars, Tesla will be in trouble. What I have never gotten is why car makers tend to make hybrid and electric cars look like ugly sedans. I mean for years Toyota has made the Prius as ugly as possible.

It's only recently that companies like Porsche and Ferrari have made good looking electric cars. Even BMW made that ugly arse i3. Teslas look better but not much better.

Why not just drop an electric motor in a decent looking car?

I’m not an expert. I can only go by my own amateur observations. It worries me that the company has a market value 5x of Ford and GM combined, yet I don’t know anyone who owns a Tesla and I don’t know anyone who wants a Tesla.

😬

Their valuation is really up there but I don’t think it’s proper to compare their valuation to other car companies. They’re so much more than just a company that sells cars.

😬
Drew Brees owns a Tesla
Considering previous purchases this isn’t a ringing endorsement, just stating he owns one

I wonder what happens to Tesla’s stock after this. Any Tesla owners in the forum?

I bought Tesla stock at $212 a share in 2013 (or 2014?).. as of a few months ago it was up to $2100 a share.. Then there was a stock split; so i now own more shares and it’s worth ten times what i paid for it (#humblebrag).. BUT Musk’s antics have long concerned me, and I’ve often thought of selling... maybe i will.

Yep. If the big Japanese or American car makers ever get serious about electric cars, Tesla will be in trouble.

The words ‘game changer’ get thrown around too much.. but there are two vehicles coming out for the 2022 model year that, in my most humble estimation, will change the game.. they are the all electric Hummer, and the all electric Ford F-150.

As for me, i only buy vehicles used, after theyve had a few years to depreciate.. so i can see owning an electric vehicle in ten years or so.

As someone who lives in a rural area, I'm chomping at the bit for SpaceX and Starlink to be a success for true high speed internet. I'm not terribly concerned with Tesla, though. Truth be told, Musk is probably more focused on SpaceX and Starlink anyway. If it functions as it's supposed to, it will be a game changer and he knows it.

The words ‘game changer’ get thrown around too much.. but there are two vehicles coming out for the 2022 model year that, in my most humble estimation, will change the game.. they are the all electric Hummer, and the all electric Ford F-150.

I actually think this is good for Tesla because it would mean more and more people are gonna look into EVs. Meaning more will look at Teslas as an option.

That said, I do think their stock is way overvalued. But, I'm not saying they're a bad investment because they are still ahead of the curve for the most part. That could change though.

Yep. If the big Japanese or American car makers ever get serious about electric cars, Tesla will be in trouble. What I have never gotten is why car makers tend to make hybrid and electric cars look like ugly sedans. I mean for years Toyota has made the Prius as ugly as possible.

It's only recently that companies like Porsche and Ferrari have made good looking electric cars. Even BMW made that ugly arse i3. Teslas look better but not much better.

Why not just drop an electric motor in a decent looking car?

I love the look of the Audi E-Tron GT. It’s probably not everybody’s taste though.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom