Test your knowledge of science (1 Viewer)

OK. But, I believe I read somewhere that Gravity is considered the weakest force in Physic's. I beleive this was before they proposed the theory of both Dark Matter and Dark Energy, though. I could be wrong.

There are many papers on this and a truckload of theories.

Gravitational lensing occurs with massive bodies whose total mass would be far less than the gravitational pull exhibited by black holes. There are many examples of gravitational lensing, such as this one - See Gravity Bend Light In New Telescope Images | Popular Science

Also a black hole has been measured spinning at nearly the theoretical speed of light -
Black Hole Spins at Nearly the Speed of Light

Because of superconductivity's variety of uses, especially in the fiels of electronics, transportation and energy (power). By improving on superconductivity, you can improve magnetism for use in Trains (maglev's), and even produce more efficient electrical motors. One of the most important uses would be in the field of Medicine. Medical Diagnosis to be more exact and specific. By improving energy output with less resistance, it should help to make machines like Cat Scanners and MRI machines more efficient and even smaller and cheaper.

Also, copper and other conductive materials has resistance that needs to be overcome to make it more efficient. I believe that Copper has something like 15% resistance and this hampers electromagnetism overall.

Not sure on the Ordinary temperature question.

Getting superconductivity to happen at common temperatures (as opposed to damn-near 0*K, like now) is crucial to their widespread use.

Electricity could be conducted from the generator to your home with no loss of power. We'd increase our available power supply without generating a single watt more than we do now. Nor would the distance be an issue. Generate it from solar cells in Nevada, use it in Vermont.

That's just one possibility. Depending on the final form, there are thousands of ways room-temp superconductors can improve/revolutionize life.

Getting superconductivity to happen at common temperatures (as opposed to damn-near 0*K, like now) is crucial to their widespread use.

Electricity could be conducted from the generator to your home with no loss of power. We'd increase our available power supply without generating a single watt more than we do now. Nor would the distance be an issue. Generate it from solar cells in Nevada, use it in Vermont.

That's just one possibility. Depending on the final form, there are thousands of ways room-temp superconductors can improve/revolutionize life.

That sounds awesome. If it would/could work, we'd have to consider the cost of required materials to build out infrastructure that's safe, stable, reliable and cost effective. Looks to be a tall order, but I hope it comes to pass.

Of course, oil, gas and utilities industries would probably fight it tooth and nail.

I am still fighting the drywall in my house so I will have to get to you later with the answers...

Yes, but you would still have the resistance of normal conductive wire such as copper to deal with. I know that both Gold and Silver are more conductive than copper, but costs are much, much higher. How would a better superconductor improve on that with resistance not changing?

Why do birds
suddenly appear?

hs6z3l.png

Taurus, what about Superconductivity vs. Nuclear Fusion?

Today's Nuclear Reactors split atoms to make energy, but Fusing Atoms is much more efficient.

What about Solar Power?

One other consideration is the possibility of Anti-Matter, as the Super Collider was brought up earlier. From what I have read, it is way to expensive at the moment to make, as well as not very much can be made and most likely, no way to hold it if it were possible. However, it seems to me that if they can already make Anti-matter, and can continue to research how to do it at some point in the future, that would then solve every energy problem we could possible have.

One other thing to consider. Electric motors themselves. I have often thought of this because of Pres. Bush wanting to go to Hydrogen fuels in the near future. Why not use some type of coil system from the turning tires (static Electricity?) to continuously re=charge the battery of your vehicle. If I'm not mistaken - and I'm no mechanic - isn't this how an Alternator works now? The older generators from the Seventies had to have the vehicle traveling around 30 mph before they would charge a battery, but now the Alternator does it anytime the motor is running. Would this not be plausible for a hydrogen vehicle?

Taurus, what about Superconductivity vs. Nuclear Fusion?

Today's Nuclear Reactors split atoms to make energy, but Fusing Atoms is much more efficient.

What about Solar Power?

One other consideration is the possibility of Anti-Matter, as the Super Collider was brought up earlier. From what I have read, it is way to expensive at the moment to make, as well as not very much can be made and most likely, no way to hold it if it were possible. However, it seems to me that if they can already make Anti-matter, and can continue to research how to do it at some point in the future, that would then solve every energy problem we could possible have.

One other thing to consider. Electric motors themselves. I have often thought of this because of Pres. Bush wanting to go to Hydrogen fuels in the near future. Why not use some type of coil system from the turning tires (static Electricity?) to continuously re=charge the battery of your vehicle. If I'm not mistaken - and I'm no mechanic - isn't this how an Alternator works now? The older generators from the Seventies had to have the vehicle traveling around 30 mph before they would charge a battery, but now the Alternator does it anytime the motor is running. Would this not be plausible for a hydrogen vehicle?

David you're mixing a lot of things here that would be useful together, such as fusion and superconductivity. Fusion to produce the energy, SC to conduct that energy to where it needs to go.

If SC could be performed at what we consider normal temperatures then you would replace current conductors (copper) with the superconductive materials.

Anti-matter is not created, it exists. The problem is capture and containment. Once contained you the join matter and anti-matter to release massive amounts of energy from relatively small amounts of material. And by small I mean particle small.

There are many vehicles now that use your premise of capturing energy to recharge the batteries. It is not as efficient as it could be, but it is getting better. Not sure how you're tying this to gathering hydrogen for powering vehicles.

Probably the most efficient method of cutting the costs of power generation and reducing loss through resistance would be to build smaller, more localized power plants. You could build several small neighborhood size solar plants in the southwest, geothermal in Hawaii, natural gas fired plants in Louisiana and Texas, etc. That way you would eliminate the long runs of transmission lines, thus reducing loss and inefficiency due to electrical resistance, and simultaneously minimize overloading of the grid. As an added benefit, you could standardize general components of the plants to make upgrading to new technology (like superconductive magnets) easier and more efficient.

Or something like that

Answers to come later.

1. What is a Googol and what is its power? What year was it first used and who named it?
A stupid huge number. I thought it was 1,000,000,000^1,000,000,000, but not sure. Some kid named it, right?

2. Give the power and numerals of the following Prefix's:

Exa; Peta; Tera

Tera is 10^9, so Peta is likely 10^12, and Exa is 10^15

3. Name the very large numbers starting with Billion up to the name with 100 zeros?
I kinda don't like going over 1 trillion, or quadrillion. After that 10^x for me.

4. What is a finite number and an Infinite Number and is it possible to count to infinity?

Not sure the math definition, but a finite number is a number you can count to and an infinite, you can't.. because it keeps going.

5. Define Absolute Zero:

0 Kelvin. aka the theoretical temperature at which all kinetic energy ceases (aka motion stops)

6. Define Superconductivity:

A state in which a material gives 0 electrical resistance, but it has to be really cold (cryogenic temps, typically).

7. Define "String Theory." :

The supposed theory that connects matter, energy, dark matter, and dark energy together. That all subatomic particles are really ribbons of energy. I think. I sorta didn't get that far into Modern Physics, and I missed the PBS special.

8. What is Inertia? What law in Physics did Inertia inspire, and who is the Scientist who proposed it?

Newton. Inertia is the idea that an object in motion will stay in motion and at rest will stay at rest. 2nd law, I believe.

9. Name the two lift forces that causes a baseball to curve and how many inches and centimeters it can curve in the 60.6 inches or 18.4 meters it travels from pitcher to batter:

No idea. Probably centripetal force and drag.

10. Two well-known scientific principles dictate the characteristic flight of a boomerang. What are they?

Same as above?

11. Who is the founder of the science of Magnetism? What is the unit of magnetism named for him and what is it's symbol?

Tesla. I forget what the unit looks like. Been 13 years since Physics 2.

12. What is the name used to identifty a supposed substance given off during the process of combustion? Name the Theory and the Chemist who developed it.

Spectroscopy? Not sure who started it.

13. What is an Adiabatic process?

something with polymer chemistry??? Gosh, can't remember.

14. Who invented tghe Cyclotron, and what is it used to study?

No idea.

15. What is a Leyden Jar and what is it used for?

No idea.

16. What is the speed of light in miles per second and kilometers per second?

Well, it's close to 300,000 Kilometers/second.

17. Is the speed of sound constant, and if not, what does it depend on?

Nope. Depends on density (or state of matter) of what it is going through

18. What is the fourth state of matter?

Plasma?? Never heard of a 4th state, but plasma is the only thing I can think of.

19. What is the difference between Nuclear fission and nuclear fusion?

Fission = atoms splitting.

Fusion = atoms combining.

20. Who developed the Periodic table?

There were a few out there, if I recall, but I think it was a German guy who came up with the one used today. But forget who.

21. What was the first element to be discovered?

Depends what you call discovered. Lead, Iron, Copper, Gold would all be early.

22. What are the most abundant atoms in the universe, and what is the name of the rule that describes this?

Probably Hydrogen and Helium. No idea about the rule.

23. What is the density of air?

Not sure you can give it a density. Gas laws are PV=nRT. It's pretty and voluve as it is related to temperature for the most part.

24. What are the 4 major divisions of Chemistry?

Like organic and physical? Other than that, not sure.

25. What is Nuclear Magnetic Resonance?

Electron orbital spins will align in the presence of a strong magnet. Then you can use a radio signal to determine what's different. I forget the rest.

26. What is a Syzygy?

Not sure.

27. What is an Opposition?

Not sure how it is defined in science.

28. How many Constellations are there?

A couple hundred?

29. What is a Sun Dog?

No idea.

30. What is Sidereal time?
Not sure either. Probably something to do with Astronomy, since that's what the last couple questions seem to be about.

So what, bout half?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom