Test your knowledge of science (1 Viewer)

Googol = 1 with 100 zeros behind it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

1. What is a Googol and what is its power? What year was it first used and who named it?

Googol was the last Martian Emeperor. His power was to command the elements with his mind, and it was first used in Earth year 5000 B.C.E. This power was known as Elementkinesis and was so-named by Sir Isaac Newton.

2. Give the power and numerals of the following Prefix's:

Exa; Peta; Tera

Exa: Power of Earth. Peta: Power of Fire. Tera: Power of Wind. You left out Gi: Power of Water and Mati: Power of Heart. By their powers combined, HE IS CAPTAIN PLANET.

3. Name the very large numbers starting with Billion up to the name with 100 zeros?

Lotta zeros, lotta zeros +1, etc.

4. What is a finite number and an Infinite Number and is it possible to count to infinity?

A finite number is a number so fine that other numbers can't help but be sexually attracted to it. An infinte number is not fine, and all numbers hate it. Theoretically you could count to infinity, but since it's an infinite number and thus ugly, who would want to?

5. Define Absolute Zero:

Absolute Zero is a 2006 B-movie disaster film starring Jeff Fahey and former Baywatch star Erika Eleniak.

6. Define Superconductivity:

Superconductivity occurs when an orchestra conductor is so good at his job that audiences proclaim him to be "super."

7. Define "String Theory." :

The theory that if you tie a piece of string around your finger it will help you remember things.

8. What is Inertia? What law in Physics did Inertia inspire, and who is the Scientist who proposed it?

Inertia is a character in DC Comics. He was originally the clone of Bart Allen (AKA Impulse/Kid Flash) who did evil things and wore a green costume.

9. Name the two lift forces that causes a baseball to curve and how many inches and centimeters it can curve in the 60.6 inches or 18.4 meters it travels from pitcher to batter:

The pitcher and the pitch. 3.

10. Two well-known scientific principles dictate the characteristic flight of a boomerang. What are they?

Australians and kangaroos.

11. Who is the founder of the science of Magnetism? What is the unit of magnetism named for him and what is it's symbol?

Magneto. It is also called Magneto. The symbol is a picture of him defeating Professor Charles Xavier once and for all.

12. What is the name used to identifty a supposed substance given off during the process of combustion? Name the Theory and the Chemist who developed it.

Peanut fire. It was developed by noted Peanutologist George Washington Carver.

13. What is an Adiabatic process?

The process in which a diabetic becomes comatose after eating too much sugar.

14. Who invented tghe Cyclotron, and what is it used to study?

The Cyclotron was my favorite ride at the Parish fair when I was a kid. It was used to study how much spinning a kid could take before he puked.

15. What is a Leyden Jar and what is it used for?

It's a device that scientist use to get Leyd.

16. What is the speed of light in miles per second and kilometers per second?

Not as fast as the speed of love.

17. Is the speed of sound constant, and if not, what does it depend on?

Trees falling in the woods and whether or not anyone is around to hear them.

18. What is the fourth state of matter?

Nebraska.

19. What is the difference between Nuclear fission and nuclear fusion?

Nuclear fission occurs when one uses a reactor to kill all the fish in the lake.

20. Who developed the Periodic table?

An angry, irritated woman who really disgusted and upset her dinner guests that night.

21. What was the first element to be discovered?

Rainbows.

22. What are the most abundant atoms in the universe, and what is the name of the rule that describes this?

Magic Atoms. Sorcery.

23. What is the density of air?

Lighter than a feather, heavier than nothing.

24. What are the 4 major divisions of Chemistry?

Acid, Foam, Bubbles, and Gas.

25. What is Nuclear Magnetic Resonance?

An organization for magnets that are against nuclear proliferation.

26. What is a Syzygy?

Everyone's favorite Welsh cousin.

27. What is an Opposition?

The stance I feel towards these questions.

28. How many Constellations are there?

As many as your imagination can make. Take a look, it's in a book. READING RAINBOW.

29. What is a Sun Dog?

A dog that likes to surf, party, and hang out on the beach. Spuds Mackenzie (RIP) was a Sun Dog.

30. What is Sidereal time?

What you call it when people DO got time for that.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/skgi_H2F3Ow" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Answers to come later.

1. What is a Googol and what is its power? What year was it first used and who named it?
A number that starts with 1 and has 100 zeroes'

4. What is a finite number and an Infinite Number and is it possible to count to infinity?
An infinite number is a fraction. Like 1/3 is .333. It never really makes a whole number. No.

5. Define Absolute Zero:
When all atomic movement stops.

8. What is Inertia? What law in Physics did Inertia inspire, and who is the Scientist who proposed it?
Is the resistance of a stationary object to start moving. i dunno, ditto

Something about heat?

Some kind of old battery?

186,ooo miles per second.

Only the speed of light is constant.

Fission occurs when the nucleus of an atom splits. If the particles from the split atoms collide with other atoms causing them to split it can cause a chain reaction if the substance is dense enough.

I kind of know what fusion is but don't understand it.

insert menstruation joke here, ______________.

Doesn't that depend on the altitude?

Do we even know?

29. What is a Sun Dog?
An optical illusion where more than one sun is observed at the same time.

What astronomers use to keep track of where a star is in the sky.

In other words I don't know ****.

{ bonus question }

1) which way do you turn the key in a kwikset knobset to unlock it?

If a tree grows inside of a hallow tree, is the hallow tree still hallow? Is it slowly becoming less hallow as the younger tree grows inside it? Or will it forever be, a hallow tree?

I made question that up :worthy::science:

If you're driving a spaceship at twice the speed of light and you turn the headlights on what happens?

If everything is relative except the speed of light, including time and space, how can the speed of anything be constant?

I can hardly wait.

BTW - some of these are math questions, some are history and some are science.

BTW, math is also a part of science.

A long time ago, I realized in talking to many of you - especially Bleu Reader and Taurus - that my knowledge was not up to par in the realm of science; So, I have taken to studying on my own to learn as much as I can. This is the reason I decided to make this post to show that I actually took many of your opinions to heart. So, now I will give you the answers that you are all eagerly waiting for. Bleu, your wish is my command:

Here are the questions and answers:

A. 10 (googol) or 1 followed by 100 zeros. American Mathematician Edward Kasner first used it in 1938. Nephew Milton Sirotta who was 9 years old named it.

2. Give the power and numerals of the following Prefix's:

Exa........10 (18)........1,000,000,000,000,000,000
Peta......10 (15)........1,000,000,000,000,000
Tera......10 (12)........1,000,000,000,000

3. Name the very large numbers starting with Billion up to the name with 100 zeros?

Billion, Trillion, Quadrillion, Quintillion, Sextillion, Septillian, Octillion, Nonillion, Decillion, Undecillion, Duodecillion, Tredecillion, Quattuor-decillion, Quindecillion Sexdecillion, Septen-decillion, Octodecillion, Novemdecillion, Vigintillion, Centillion

A. A finite number is a number that can be reached by counting or by representation of a number followd by billions of zeros.
An infinite number is defined as being unbounded, or without limit.
No. Very large finite numbers are not the same as infinite numbers.

5. Define Absolute Zero:

A: The theoretical temperature at which all substances have zero thermal energy. Originally conceived as the temperature at which an ideal gs at constant pressure would contract to zero volume, absolute zero is of great significance in thermodynamics and is used as the fixed point for absolute temperature scales. Absolute zero is equivalent to 0K, -459.67 F or -273.15 C

6. Define Superconductivity:

A: a condition in which many metals, alloys, organic compounds, and ceramics conduct electricity without resistance, usually at low temperature.

7. Define "String Theory." :

A. A relatively recent theory in particle pghysics, the string theory conceives elementary particles not as points but as lines or loops. The idea of these "strings" is purely theoretical since no string has ever been detected experimentally. The ultimate expression of string theory may potentially require a new kind of geometry - perhaps one involving an infinity of dimensions.

A. A tendency of all objects and matter in the universe to stay still, or, if moving, to continue moving in the same direction, unless acted on by some outside force.
1st law of Motion - Sir Isaac Newton

9. Name the two lift forces that causes a baseball to curve and how many inches and centimeters it can curve in the 60.6 inches or 18.4 meters it travels from pitcher to batter:

A. Magnus Force; Wake Deflection. 17.5 inches or 44.45 centimeters.

10. Two well-known scientific principles dictate the characteristic flight of a boomerang. What are they?

A. 1: The force of lift on a curved surface caused by air flowing over it 2: The unwillingness of a spinning gyroscope to move from it's position.

11. Who is the founder of the science of Magnetism? What is the unit of magnetism named for him and what is it's symbol?

A. William Gilbert - Gilbert symbol (Gb)

12. What is the name used to identifty a supposed substance given off during the process of combustion? Name the Theory and the Chemist who developed it.

A. Phlogiston - Phlogiston Theory/ Georg Ernst Stahl

A. It is any thermodynamic process in which no heat transfer takes place between a system and its surrounding environment.

14. Who invented tghe Cyclotron, and what is it used to study?

A. Ernest Lawrence - the nuclear structure fo the atom.

A. The earliest form of capacitor - storing an electrical charge.

A. 186,282 mps - 299,792 kps

A. No. it varies depending on the medium in which it travels. The measurement of sound velocity in the medium of air must take into acount many factors, including air temperature, pressure, and purity.

18. What is the fourth state of matter?

A. Plasma

A. Fission is the splitting of an atomic nucleus into at least two fragments. Fusion is a nuclear reaction in which the nuclei of atoms of low atomic number, such as hydrogen and helium, fuse to form a heavier nucleus.

A. Dmitry Ivanovich Mendeleyev, a Russian Chemist

21. What was the first element to be discovered?

A. Phospherus

22. What are the most abundant atoms in the universe, and what is the name of the rule that describes this?

A. Atoms that have even numbers as opposed to atoms that have un-even numbers. Harkin's rule.

A. 1.29 grams per liter at 32 degrees F (0 degrees C) at average sea level and a barometric pressure of 29.92 inches of mercury (760 millimeters).

24. What are the 4 major divisions of Chemistry?

A. Organic, Inorganic, Analytical, and Physical Chemistry

25. What is Nuclear Magnetic Resonance?

A. a process in which the nuclei of certain atoms absorb energy from an external magnetic field.

26. What is a Syzygy?

A. a configuration that occurs when three celestial bodies lie in a straight line, such as the sun, earth, and moon during a solar or lunar eclipse.

27. What is an Opposition?

A. The particular syzygy when a planet is on the opposite side of the earth from the sun.

A. 88

29. What is a Sun Dog?

A. Also known as a mock sun, false sun, or the 22 degrees parhelia. It is a bright spot of light that sometimes appears on either side of the sun at the same distance above the horizon as the sun, and is separated from the sun by an angle of 22 degrees.

A. time measured by considering the rotation of the earth relative to the distant stars rather than the sun, which is the basis of civil time). A sidereal day is 23 hours, 56 minutes, and 4 seconds, nearly 4 minutes shorter than mean solar time.

BTW, math is also a part of science.

A long time ago, I realized in talking to many of you - especially Bleu Reader and Taurus - that my knowledge was not up to par in the realm of science; So, I have taken to studying on my own to learn as much as I can. This is the reason I decided to make this post to show that I actually took many of your opinions to heart. So, now I will give you the answers that you are all eagerly waiting for. Bleu, your wish is my command:

5. Define Absolute Zero:

A: The theoretical temperature at which all substances have zero thermal energy. Originally conceived as the temperature at which an ideal gs at constant pressure would contract to zero volume, absolute zero is of great significance in thermodynamics and is used as the fixed point for absolute temperature scales. Absolute zero is equivalent to 0K, -459.67 F or -273.15 C

vs.
5. Define Absolute Zero:
When all atomic movement stops.
I would actually give this shorter version higher points because it shows a deeper understanding of what is actually happening, as opposed to regurgitated facts. But that's just me. :hihi:

David, I have to give you credit for putting yourself out there, knowing people would be ready to pounce. :9: Have you been watching any of the Khan Academy videos? NOVA online? There are good resources out there for making connections, not just random facts. TED.com is another that only proves there are not enough hours in a day. Good luck! :)

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom