Texans not likely to franchise aj bouye (1 Viewer)

Word is he'll get 10M-12M. That's who we need to sign. I hope he's priority #1 for us this offseason.

Fairley
Bouye
Zeitler

Make it happen.

He's going to command big money...and playing opposite Jonathan Joseph has done wonders for him...but how would he respond to being a #1 CB instead of a #2 CB? He went up against #1's a lot less frequent than Joseph so after he gets his money...how does he function as Batman when he came from a team that allowed him to be a high end Robin? His production in his 1 year also has to be tempered. Could be the classic 1 year wonder case. Teams should do major research before committing to him as though he's a #1 CB.

Food for thought. One of the reasons I don't trust this CB FA class that much. ITs filled with projections and players that think they are better than they are. Haden nearly matched Gilmores int total all year in one game. With this being the 3rd year of the rebuild we don't have time for many projections. Its why i would rely on the insights of Aaron Glenn. If he thinks Williams/Haden are good options go after em. Those would be considered safe picks...and not much projection needed.

Really difficult spot for Houston. They have Jonathan Joseph, Kareem Jackson and Kevin Johnson that are all quality NFL CBs. Then out of nowehere this UDFA is a top 5 guy. Now they have to weigh the decision of keep the stud at a huge contract, or let him walk without anything. I wish if they keep him, they'd deal us one of those other guys for a 3/4th round pick..

Case could also be made that the consistent pressure Houston's defensive front is able to put on QBs contributes to their CBs looking better than they are isolated trying to cover. Bouye could be a one-year wonder if he goes elsewhere.

Word is he'll get 10M-12M. That's who we need to sign. I hope he's priority #1 for us this offseason.

Fairley
Bouye
Zeitler

Make it happen.

Don't get me wrong, I like the way AJ played last year and think he can really help us if he can duplicate that here, but am I the only one hesitant to give an UDFA with 1 good year of play as a starter $10M a year contract and then rely on him as the 2nd most important piece of our defensive puzzle?

How many times have poeple on this board ******* and complained about giving big contracts to young guys w years of good play just to watch the player regress, go nuts, or not meet the expectations? Is AJ as good as he looks or is he a good #2 CB playing opposite a quality #1 therefor not going against top talents every game. Did the great supporting cast and pass rush help him look great or was it him? The AFC South does not have a mix of top tier WRs that hes gone up against like he will if he's our #1 facing Julio, Evans, and Benajmin 2x a year each.

I have no problem going after him for a good sized contract, but I really dont think we should go for a home run contract on a guy who only has 1 good year under his belt as the #2 CB in a weak division for WRs.

Really difficult spot for Houston. They have Jonathan Joseph, Kareem Jackson and Kevin Johnson that are all quality NFL CBs. Then out of nowehere this UDFA is a top 5 guy. Now they have to weigh the decision of keep the stud at a huge contract, or let him walk without anything. I wish if they keep him, they'd deal us one of those other guys for a 3/4th round pick..

Case could also be made that the consistent pressure Houston's defensive front is able to put on QBs contributes to their CBs looking better than they are isolated trying to cover. Bouye could be a one-year wonder if he goes elsewhere.

That part scares the crap out of me when I think about signing him to a #1 CB contract.

Maybe AJ is a product of a good D line? You know, similar to Byron Maxwell was when he played for Seattle. After he signed big money in Philly, the wheels fell off. Not a very good #1 corner.

I'd rather Trumaine Johnson, but I think he will require a substantially larger contract.

The first of a few affordable free agent CBs whose "stock arrow" is apparently pointing upward. Corner in FA, Barnett in the first round is the ideal combo to me these days.

I am cooling fast on Barnett. He is an edge guy that's bread and butter is pass rushing, but as the year progressed, the dude started to get a serious gut. I will be interested to see how he shows up at the combine because a dude adding unhealthy weight during the course of a season is scary.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwj_5sf6gJXSAhWKv1QKHfEuBmcQjRwIBw&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.rockytoptalk.com%2F2016%2F7%2F1%2F12074976%2Fnine-weeks-how-good-can-derek-barnett-be&bvm=bv.147134024,d.cGw&psig=AFQjCNFBFMNvSgCR2tnfCoDkXiJzvjgv9A&ust=1487347870442286

https://cdn0.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/y5mSap7ZhmsDHs2HhxBeAoNQge8=/82x0:4056x2649/920x613/filters:focal(82x0:4056x2649):format(webp)/cdn3.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_image/image/52643209/usa-today-9777328.0.jpg

Don't get me wrong, I like the way AJ played last year and think he can really help us if he can duplicate that here, but am I the only one hesitant to give an UDFA with 1 good year of play as a starter $10M a year contract and then rely on him as the 2nd most important piece of our defensive puzzle?

Did he have a good year? I looked at the stats and he only had 1 int last season. Granted, I know absolutely nothing about him, since I only watch the saints...

Did he have a good year? I looked at the stats and he only had 1 int last season. Granted, I know absolutely nothing about him, since I only watch the saints...

#3 CB according to PFF. Allowed just 50.5% of passes thrown his way to be caught (including the postseason).

I think he is certainly capable of being a #1. He genuinely shut down Ty Hilton, Emmanuel Sanders, Travis Kelce and Amari Cooper. That is a wide variety of skill sets. He also did quite well against Demaryius Thomas, who absolutely smoked Breaux in their matchup.

I think he is certainly capable of being a #1. He genuinely shut down Ty Hilton, Emmanuel Sanders, Travis Kelce and Amari Cooper. That is a wide variety of skill sets. He also did quite well against Demaryius Thomas, who absolutely smoked Breaux in their matchup.

I think $10M/year would be a steal.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom