Texans not likely to franchise aj bouye (2 Viewers)

As much as i hate splash signings
giphy.gif

given the whole "Josh Norman/Drew Brees" deal last offseason, it wouldnt surprise me if we went after a top tier CB with a hefty contract offer.

maybe Norman was our guy and we should have got him when we had the chance. is AJ equal or better than Norman? is Trumaine Johnson equal or better than Norman?

given the whole "Josh Norman/Drew Brees" deal last offseason, it wouldnt surprise me if we went after a top tier CB with a hefty contract offer.

maybe Norman was our guy and we should have got him when we had the chance. is AJ equal or better than Norman? is Trumaine Johnson equal or better than Norman?

Hard to say. I think they are all pretty close. Bouye is 25, Johnson is 27, and Norman is 29. I think I'd like either one of them over Norman. They are younger, should cost less, and have the potential to be just as good or better. But there's no way of knowing for sure.

Make it happen, Loomis!

Attachments

• achance1.jpeg
    achance1.jpeg
    10 KB · Views: 82

The thing about Norman was this...

We were shifting to a predominantly zone scheme (see Roman Harper discussing how he could help the team and he mentions assisting the DB's with learning some of the zone concepts that were similar to what the panthers run) and it was similar to the Panthers scheme which saw Norman become a probowl/all pro talent.

So not only was it a talent fit, it was a scheme fit and not much projecting due to him already being a #1 CB and having the production in a zone system. Again with Bouye he had the breakout year but it was as a #2 in a man scheme. So not only are you projecting if he can play zone/system fit but you are also projecting him into the #1 spot. Granted the above poster mentioned the variety of talents he shut down but you don't know how the scheme/dominant D line assisted in that.

Its the same reason why you can't base Joe Haden's ability on his last few seasons because of how terrible the team was around him...you also can't put too much stock into Bouyes rise because of how good the team around him has allowed him to progress. Those are all projections you have to make to an extent and I think the Texans also realize this along with having good depth that they will have to lose a player that while appears to be good........maybe they have insight that would allow them to be aware of what has made him a good player.

Think about how Nnamdi looked once he was removed from being a press man corner in Oakland to having to play Zone in the Eagles defense. Granted maybe he'd started to slow down a bit but that first season in Philly was clearly him being used wrong/not fitting into the scheme. Happens to guys all the time...you have to decipher the scheme guys from the scheme transcendent guys and that's a legitimate question with Bouye

The thing about Norman was this...

We were shifting to a predominantly zone scheme (see Roman Harper discussing how he could help the team and he mentions assisting the DB's with learning some of the zone concepts that were similar to what the panthers run) and it was similar to the Panthers scheme which saw Norman become a probowl/all pro talent.

So not only was it a talent fit, it was a scheme fit and not much projecting due to him already being a #1 CB and having the production in a zone system. Again with Bouye he had the breakout year but it was as a #2 in a man scheme. So not only are you projecting if he can play zone/system fit but you are also projecting him into the #1 spot. Granted the above poster mentioned the variety of talents he shut down but you don't know how the scheme/dominant D line assisted in that.

Its the same reason why you can't base Joe Haden's ability on his last few seasons because of how terrible the team was around him...you also can't put too much stock into Bouyes rise because of how good the team around him has allowed him to progress. Those are all projections you have to make to an extent and I think the Texans also realize this along with having good depth that they will have to lose a player that while appears to be good........maybe they have insight that would allow them to be aware of what has made him a good player.

Think about how Nnamdi looked once he was removed from being a press man corner in Oakland to having to play Zone in the Eagles defense. Granted maybe he'd started to slow down a bit but that first season in Philly was clearly him being used wrong/not fitting into the scheme. Happens to guys all the time...you have to decipher the scheme guys from the scheme transcendent guys and that's a legitimate question with Bouye

Ellias, who do you think our FA targets would be by reading the tea leaves?

Maybe AJ is a product of a good D line? You know, similar to Byron Maxwell was when he played for Seattle. After he signed big money in Philly, the wheels fell off. Not a very good #1 corner.

Goes with what I've said about a good pass rush making an average secondary look great many, many times. Pass rusher in the first round is the best and safest route in the draft. At CB, I still consider Breaux to be our #1 corner, though the coaching staff will, I trust, make good decisions based on the true nature of his health and that of PJW.

Ellias, who do you think our FA targets would be by reading the tea leaves?

Haden, Kajuan Williams - Both CBs from Cleveland and both Aaron Glenn can provide insight on.

Reggie Bush - Because of his connection with Sean and again its another player we have insight on and there isn't much projection going on.

Any G seems like an option due to the incredible work done by Roushar in the off-season/season with the entire Oline. Everyone performed above their standard and you saw old heads have resurrections and younger guys progressed. He and Aaron Glenn easily should have tied for coach of the year within the organization.

Obviously Fairley and maybe someone like Andre Branch. A DE that doesn't have the extensive production of say JPP and thus can't command an crazy salary. Still young but also has the size we want at DE as a 1st/2nd down defender that could give way to a 3rd down rusher and also allow Cam to rest as well(been running him into the ground the last 3 years)

Try to look for the connections. Ireland had a big hand in us getting Ellerbe, we know about the haden connection/bush connection. A lot of times those things carry weight because it takes some of the guess work out of what is a difficult job. Insight and not having to project can be the difference between a Jason David, and a Jabari Greer. Any little bit that tilts the needle toward being more sure has to help.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom